PDA

View Full Version : Where should I get my trust?

Skold
03-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Hi, looking into getting on the NFA wagon. Specifically looking to get a trust. Who/where should I look to write up a reputable trust that I can use for all my items?

SeriousStudent
03-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Personally, I would recommend someone in the same state, since they would be most likely with the specific statutes relating to a trust.

If you can tell us your state of residence, we can help you narrow the field. I can tell you who did mine, if you are in Texas.

Hope that helps.

HCM
03-12-2016, 05:24 PM
If you are using it for anything other than NFA use an attorney in your state.

If not, I used the Silencer shop online version. http://www.silencershop.com/nfa-gun-trust.html.

Pay, answer the questions, and they will email you the trust as a PDF. Print the trust and get it notarized. Done.

Skold
03-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Personally, I would recommend someone in the same state, since they would be most likely with the specific statutes relating to a trust.

If you can tell us your state of residence, we can help you narrow the field. I can tell you who did mine, if you are in Texas.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I live in Tennessee if that helps!

Skold
03-12-2016, 08:53 PM
What if there was a possibility of me moving to Mississippi in a few years should that dictate how the trust is written?

Crusader8207
03-12-2016, 09:37 PM
I used 199trust.com and actually paid $59 for it on special and have received 3 stamps no problem. I have also recommended it to customers (when I was an FFL) as well as friends who have had similar success with it.

Mike

Robinson
03-13-2016, 03:38 PM
I did mine on guntrust.com. I bought a code from my local dealer and typed it into the website. The cost was $99.

Skold
03-21-2016, 08:18 AM
So this is the consensus I should just use guntrust.com or 199trust.com and should be fine?

1986s4
03-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Can one get a trust without a specific NFA item to buy? That is, get a trust now then buy whatever NFA item I want later?

baddean
03-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Can one get a trust without a specific NFA item to buy? That is, get a trust now then buy whatever NFA item I want later?
Yes.
I am currently in the process of doing just that. Have had the trust for about 3 years and just now getting around to adding to it. Items currently in jail .
As has been mentioned already, if you intend to use it only for NFA items then the SilencerCo.trust, guntrust.com, or 199trust.com will work fine.
If, however, you intend to later add property, investment, or family heirlooms, the best option would be to have an attorney in your state draw it up.
Do it now and purchase your NFA items and send in your paperwork before July 1 because some regulations are changing that effect how trusts and trustees are handled during the registering process. If you do it now you are grandfathered into the current regulations.
See this post.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18636-BUY-NOW-IF-YOU-WANT-TO-USE-A-TRUST-Obama-requiring-background-checks-for-NFA

baddean
03-21-2016, 10:10 AM
What if there was a possibility of me moving to Mississippi in a few years should that dictate how the trust is written?
If you move you will have to notify the BATF anyway and have changes made to the trust so you could concern yourself with that in the event that you move.

Robinson
03-21-2016, 11:58 AM
So this is the consensus I should just use guntrust.com or 199trust.com and should be fine?

My experience with guntrust.com was pretty positive, and it was easy to do.

I suggest spending some time up front deciding who, if anyone, will be named a co-Trustee and also the beneficiaries if any. And line up the necessary folks you will need to notarize and witness your signatures.

9mm_shooter
03-23-2016, 06:12 PM
I used nfalawyers.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23JAZ
05-08-2016, 09:22 PM
If you are using it for anything other than NFA use an attorney in your state.

If not, I used the Silencer shop online version. http://www.silencershop.com/nfa-gun-trust.html.

Pay, answer the questions, and they will email you the trust as a PDF. Print the trust and get it notarized. Done.

Is the trust useless after this new law goes into effect in July?

HCM
05-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Is the trust useless after this new law goes into effect in July?

No, not at all. And it is an administrative regulation, not a law.

The only difference will be you will need to submit a photo and fingerprint card for each person on your trust each time you want to file a form 1 or form 4 to make or purchase / transfer an NFA item. Not beneficiaries, just those listed on the trust as principals who can access and use the NFA items. If you have your wife, your brother and five kids on the trust this is a hassle. If it's just you, not so much.

It also will apparently make everyone go back to paper forms - though I still don't understand why you could not just scan and upload your photo and print cards.

Luke
05-08-2016, 09:46 PM
I had all the NFA trust paper work emailed to me.. I'm no lawyer and not sure if it's of any use. Could I just print it out, fill it out, have it notarized and be good to go?

Sorry for the noob question, seemed like a good place to ask.

HCM
05-08-2016, 10:59 PM
I had all the NFA trust paper work emailed to me.. I'm no lawyer and not sure if it's of any use. Could I just print it out, fill it out, have it notarized and be good to go?

Sorry for the noob question, seemed like a good place to ask.

That's exactly what I did via silencer shops web store. Signed up, paid, they sent me a link. Answered / filled in step by step and they sent my trust as a PDF.

All I had to do was print it out and have it notarized. Done.

Luke
05-08-2016, 11:03 PM
So that's what they "sell" you? Just the paper work to print and do on your own?

If that's the case I have a PDF I could email people to save them money..

HCM
05-08-2016, 11:14 PM
There is an old story about why a lawyer charges what they do for writing a letter - the charge what they charge for knowing what to write rather than the writing itself.

You are not doing it on your own. With SS, they make it very easy by asking you a series of specific detailed questions along with an explanation of what each item is. If you have additional questions re specifics of your situation you can call the staff as SS and if they can't answer your question, you can call or e mail the law firm / Attorney who wrote the trust template for them.

There are other companies and gunshops which offer trusts, I would look for one which has an attorney who can answer questions or assist if your trust is kicked back by BATFE for some reason. To me this is well worth $125 vs $69 or $40 for a copy of quicken will maker.

Luke
05-08-2016, 11:16 PM
That's what I needed to know. Thank you sir.

Isaac
05-10-2016, 12:17 PM
I got mine on the Silencerco website, forgot how much it was though.

UNM1136
05-17-2016, 11:38 PM
www.guntrustlawyer.com

Not the cheapest, but this guy has built a business and a network. I paid my $600, and within a week I had in my hands a trust that had been reviewed by a local attorney, signed it, and emailed them a copy. Filed my first Form1 and Form 4 the next week. Got a handy guide for using my trust so to avoid many of the trust headaches people see from some of the fly by night places, as well as how to avoid constructive possession issues with the BATFE (like why and how to get a trust account, which by the way has been a great way saving/spending money on outdoors stuff outside HH6A's watchful eyes).

Little things that I noted, is that my wife and I can place anything in the trust, but anything coming out of the trust needs my approval, I can sell assets for any reason I see fit, and the ability to easily add and subtract settlors, trustees, and beneficiaries. I have had other local attorneys look at the trust, not affiliated with the network that produced it, and they all thought it was an outstanding trust as both an estate planning vehicle, and for my Title III stuff. Also, if the BATFE ever finds a problem with it, I have an attorney on the hook who will have to make it right, or he is liable.

pat

Chance
06-16-2016, 10:22 AM

Hope that helps.

Who did you use? I live in Tarrant county, and I suspect the CLEO here would be amenable to signing off on things, but a trust may be the way to go.

TR675
06-16-2016, 11:33 AM
I've done quite a few trusts. There are a lot of attorneys out there doing trusts of various quality. Most of them are serviceable and will be accepted by the ATF. Then again, you can find a form trust online that the ATF will accept. The value to having a good, local attorney do your trust is not the trust itself - it's having a resource who can help when you have questions or other issues, and who knows your situation.

IMO you need to consider the following, among other things, when considering hiring someone to do a trust:

1. Is the attorney a trust attorney or someone with trust experience, or someone moonlighting as an NFA trust guy because they found a form somewhere and are looking to make a buck?

2. Does the attorney have an in-depth understanding of the NFA and firearms law generally? Can they walk you through the process and answer your questions?

3. Do you have faith that the attorney will continue to assist you after they deliver the trust? I would not be inclined to believe this of some of the rock bottom priced guys. This is a confidence issue. You're entering into a professional relationship, not just a deal to draft a document.

4. Does the attorney take the time to deal with your individual situation and ask questions about it, or are they just filling in their form?

There's more, but that's a start. Feel free to PM if you've got more questions about the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1slow
06-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Anybody you recommend in central SC ?