PDA

View Full Version : Armor piercing bullet proof cop car doors

UNK
03-12-2016, 02:04 PM
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=associated+press+video+ford+car+doors+sto p+armor+piercing+video&view=detail&mid=17054C6F665D21E022E617054C6F665D21E022E6&FORM=VIRE

voodoo_man
03-12-2016, 02:41 PM
link is all sorts of messed up

UNK
03-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Fixed it

link is all sorts of messed up

voodoo_man
03-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Cool idea, I have a feeling that Ford will make this cost a bigilion dollars and most PD's won't opt to get it.

JR1572
03-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Cool idea, I have a feeling that Ford will make this cost a bigilion dollars and most PD's won't opt to get it.

They need to bring back the CVPI instead of offering overpriced ballistic panels for the Explorer/Taurus.

JR1572

voodoo_man
03-12-2016, 03:37 PM
They need to bring back the CVPI instead of offering overpriced ballistic panels for the Explorer/Taurus.

JR1572

It's dead. Just accept it and move on. ;)

JR1572
03-12-2016, 04:29 PM
It's dead. Just accept it and move on. ;)

I've been out of a CVPI since 2010, and I have yet to experience the new PI models. The road guys have the Explorers and they like them.

JR1572

voodoo_man
03-12-2016, 06:37 PM
I've been out of a CVPI since 2010, and I have yet to experience the new PI models. The road guys have the Explorers and they like them.

JR1572

I had an 08 CVPI died finally was condemned around 2011 with just a tad over 280k on it. I got a brand new Impala which I destroyed in about three weeks (engine over heating, in June), they kept flopping be from Impala to Impala until in early 2015 we got the new Tahoe's and Explorers. Fuck the Tahoe's keep those POS's. I took a Explorer and its fast as hell and a blast to drive around. About a month ago I got a brand new Taurus, 120 miles on it, no MDT yet...ahh now this is a nice ride...

JR1572
03-12-2016, 06:43 PM
I had an 08 CVPI died finally was condemned around 2011 with just a tad over 280k on it. I got a brand new Impala which I destroyed in about three weeks (engine over heating, in June), they kept flopping be from Impala to Impala until in early 2015 we got the new Tahoe's and Explorers. Fuck the Tahoe's keep those POS's. I took a Explorer and its fast as hell and a blast to drive around. About a month ago I got a brand new Taurus, 120 miles on it, no MDT yet...ahh now this is a nice ride...

I have a 14 Taurus (non-PI) with 96K on it. I got it in 7/13 brand new. I haven't had any trouble with it.

My last 2 CVPI were 08 models and they were great.

JR1572

voodoo_man
03-12-2016, 06:49 PM
I have a 14 Taurus (non-PI) with 96K on it. I got it in 7/13 brand new. I haven't had any trouble with it.

My last 2 CVPI were 08 models and they were great.

JR1572

You do high way driving at all?

All of mine is dense urban driving on tight one way streets. The CV sucked for that, I'd have to park up the block and walk. We don't like walking...lol

JR1572
03-12-2016, 06:52 PM
You do high way driving at all?

All of mine is dense urban driving on tight one way streets. The CV sucked for that, I'd have to park up the block and walk. We don't like walking...lol

Yeah, approximately 55 miles commuting from my driveway to my office.

JR1572

Coyotesfan97
03-12-2016, 08:00 PM
The Tahoe is the best squad car I've driven but I'm needing a lot of space to store gear. It's fast at speed sorta slow off the line but once oyou get the revs up I beat CVs all the time. Chevy does ballistic door panels and all the Tahoes we buy now are equipped.

voodoo_man
03-12-2016, 08:12 PM
The Tahoe is the best squad car I've driven but I'm needing a lot of space to store gear. It's fast at speed sorta slow off the line but once oyou get the revs up I beat CVs all the time. Chevy does ballistic door panels and all the Tahoes we buy now are equipped.

We flipped six Tahoe's the first week we got them - all responding to assists officer's....they took them away and then gave them back slowly...

MD7305
03-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Our fleet has been completely converted from CVPIs to Interceptor Utlities. We have assigned fleet vehicles, no take homes. I got my utility in 2012 (as a 2013 model). I love it, only thing I miss about the CVPI is way it sounded going somewhere fast. In my opinion the utility out handles it, has more room and is more comfy. We don't get large amounts of snow but the AWD is helpful when we do. Ford offered ballistic panels in CVPIs the last few years but it was way too expensive for our budget. In our area Tahoes are rare, Interceptor Utlities and Chargers are the most popular, Interceptor sedans second with Impalas and Caprices sprinkled around.

Coyotesfan97
03-12-2016, 10:07 PM
We flipped six Tahoe's the first week we got them - all responding to assists officer's....they took them away and then gave them back slowly...

I tend to drive fast but I've never been close to rolling mine. The only one I know of that rolled was the head driving instructor who was doing a reverse 180 (which the Tahoe isn't rated for).

What were the weather and speed conditions. I've been driving police SUVs for 12+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camsdaddy
03-12-2016, 10:48 PM
The only downside to ballistic panels is remember this when they are purchased from surplus by thugs. They will then have that technology. Then again they may already.

tanner
03-13-2016, 07:17 PM
All time favorite? 1995 Caprice. Tons of room and tons of motor. Actually bought one of our old ones as a beater ride for a few years.

Have to say though, the best all around scout car has to go to this new Explorer. AWD with the turbo. Roomy, quick and agile all in one package. The Taurus and Impalas are great when you are in them, getting in and out proves more difficult for us huskier fellows. Even having more room in the back for the prisoners makes the job much easier.

Sadly, it is likely that my department will only want to pay for the armored up doors only when we are learning a lesson after an incident where it might have made a difference.

Hambo
03-14-2016, 06:20 AM
The only downside to ballistic panels is remember this when they are purchased from surplus by thugs. They will then have that technology. Then again they may already.

The only thug upgrade on CVPIs is to roll 20's and metallic paint.

voodoo_man
03-14-2016, 09:26 AM
The only thug upgrade on CVPIs is to roll 20's and metallic paint.

You forgot some random cereal decal across the side...

Peally
03-14-2016, 10:22 AM
I drive a CVPI as a daily. They're basically car sized trucks but they're not amazing. Get over it and move on :D

Trooper224
03-14-2016, 01:13 PM

I've been in an Explorer for about a year now. Other than a brief stint in a Camaro the previous 22 years were in a Crown Vic. The Explorer is a far superior vehicle in every way. The Crown Vic was a solid car but I don't miss it.

pablo
03-14-2016, 01:44 PM
I all I can say is fuck the CVPI, had a friend burn to death in one and my own unoccupied got rear ended in burst into flames, that one had the padding over the rear diff that was supposed to stop the fires. Thank god those pieces of shit are gone or getting phased out. From a fleet perspective they are great, they suck in passenger safety.

Armored doors are a good idea, but I wonder if Ford put reinforced hinges in the doors. If officers that have them are like officers everywhere else and kick the door to bounce it off the hinge, instead of reaching forward to pull it shut, the extra weight will break the hinges or tear them out of the door. We tried armored doors a couple years ago and the doors were falling off in months.

JDM
03-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Do what now?

DocGKR
03-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Interestingly, NONE of the cartridges shown in the linked video are AP loads...

voodoo_man
03-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Do what now?

Google "donk" and look at the images

JDM
03-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Google "donk" and look at the images

Well that is unfortunate, isn't it?

voodoo_man
03-14-2016, 05:52 PM
Well that is unfortunate, isn't it?

Unfortunate is an everyday occurrence in some parts.

PPGMD
03-14-2016, 08:15 PM

And subwoofers, lots of subwoofers.

PPGMD
03-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Interestingly, NONE of the cartridges shown in the linked video are AP loads...

Explaining that armor is rated to specific level of protection is too much for someone that graduated from the college of Journalism to understand.

voodoo_man
03-15-2016, 04:11 AM
Explaining that armor is rated to specific level of protection is too much for someone that graduated from the college of Journalism to understand.

Seeing as how simple terms of description are also too much, yeah its probably outside his realm of ability.

JR1572
06-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Well when I went back to the patrol, I got a 2011 CVPI with 82K on it. It was very well taken care of and was very clean. I just got a brand new explorer PI issued to me today. So far, I'm very impressed. I'll post some pics later on.

JR1572