PDA

View Full Version : Benchmade Rescue Hook on a Plane?

JDM
03-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Can I take my Benchmade Rescue Hook on a commercial flight in my carry on?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160312/99b7501f15319bab0eb7a07552669797.jpg

SOFTT-W for size reference.

Josh Runkle
03-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, but...Don't ask permission. TSA catches about 25% of overt objects, for reference.

Also, if you just need it on the other side of your flight, pack it in your checked luggage. If you want it in the cabin, then I would ask why, and tell you that your brain is your biggest survival tool, and that there are PLENTY of tools already aboard a plane, most of them ripe for the picking if a crisis arises.

SAWBONES
03-12-2016, 12:46 PM
You could try, but somebody at TSA is likely to fuss about that "gut hook-seat belt" sharpened edge.

After all, one could imagine using it to commit atrocities!

Like cutting off your seat-mate's fingers, or vandalizing the seatbelts on the plane. :eek:

Drang
03-12-2016, 12:48 PM
I recall that, when that Asiana (?) flight landed hard at SFO, many passengers where trapped by jammed seat belts. Is that what you're thinking of?

Scissors are allowed. What would a rescue hook do that a pair of trauma shears won't?

JDM
03-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, but...Don't ask permission. TSA catches about 25% of overt objects, for reference.

Also, if you just need it on the other side of your flight, pack it in your checked luggage. If you want it in the cabin, then I would ask why, and tell you that your brain is your biggest survival tool, and that there are PLENTY of tools already aboard a plane, most of them ripe for the picking if a crisis arises.

If I was checking a bag I would just toss it in there and not worry about the whole thing, but I'm only taking a carry on.

JDM
03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
I recall that, when that Asiana (?) flight landed hard at SFO, many passengers where trapped by jammed seat belts. Is that what you're thinking of?

Scissors are allowed. What would a rescue hook do that a pair of trauma shears won't?
I've got the scissors too.

The rescue hook sheath is attached to my kit with a malice clip that's a pain in the ass to remove. That's all.

Drang
03-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Focused on hook, didn't recognize it was part of kit.

I suspect that, technically, it meets the definition of a "knife". I've got one of the small CRKT keychain size belt cutters on my keychain, and have flown with that, but it's small enough it gets lost on the clutter of keys. (I do remove the Gerber Dime and put it in checked baggage.) But, again, that doesn't help on this.

At SEA they give you the option of mailing it to yourself if they don't want to let it through (kiosks at each checkpoint), but I haven't seen such a set up at other airports.

Cookie Monster
03-12-2016, 01:49 PM
I've carried on Trauma Shears on every flight I have had in the last 3 years, maybe 20 flights. No issues. TSA can be random but no one has ever asked or questioned them.

I've never carried a rescue hook but several times have accidently carried a fixed blade knife through security, TSA caught it every time because the machines or people find hunks of metal or really just dense objects. I stopped carrying my 3D computer mouse because it always slowed down my trip through security and it was a brick.

Give it a shot, just have a pre-labeled, pre-stamped envelope ready to go.

Josh Runkle
03-12-2016, 04:08 PM

Great advice for any time going through an airport. Just make it a big envelope and have a lot of stamps.

I've had all sorts of weird things get pulled from TSA.

LOKNLOD
03-12-2016, 04:46 PM

If you were to get the postage in advance, one of the small (~VHS tape sized) flat rate USPS priority mail boxes, left unfolded flat could be a great $5.25 investment to keep stashed away.

orionz06
03-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Prices went up on January 1. A small flat rate box is now $6.80. :(

I pack a padded envelope with a label on it. Same price and it packs better in my backpack. When I get home I cancel the label.

Slavex
03-13-2016, 07:25 PM
I got snagged at Frankfurt this last trip with my flashlight and it's DNA collector head. A bit of talking and I got it through, I think I've been snagged once before over that.

Maple Syrup Actual
03-13-2016, 08:09 PM
I have to say, this sounds like the most disappointing and frankly bizarre sequel in history. I guess I'll wait for it to show up on tv or something, even though I guess that'll ruin the signature line...

That is it! Enough is enough!

I have had it with these monkey fighting rescue hooks, on this Monday to Friday plane!