PDA

View Full Version : Rant

YVK
03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Just came from range. F^)*&#g anticipation.That's all, discuss at will.

David
03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Anticipation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8)

Kyle Reese
03-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I've had my share of horrendous range sessions. Sometimes I've had to pack up and go home early. Don't sweat it.

If you can, start every shooting session with Dot Torture. It's a great way to start, and "get in the zone", so to speak.

Just my 2 kopeks.

jslaker
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Heh. So I'm not the only one having this problem lately.

YVK
03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
It wasn't particularly horrendous, but almost ironic. I always start my sessions with some accuracy standard and today's was no exception. I wasn't hitting it to my satisfaction so I canned my original practice plan, pulled out my dummies, did some B&D, pushed target to 45 feet, slowed down and some 70 rounds later was able to return to original practice plan. Then I found I had one practice round left. The target was at 25 feet then and I picked a small piece of masking tape on it and said "I am going drill it now and go home satisfied". Aim, squeeze and there was a hole - perfectly vertically aligned with that piece of tape, 2 inches low :mad:

I won at the end, hitting that tape with next 2 rounds from my spare carry mag, but lack of consistency - especially after having spent practically entire session on fixing the problem - is nothing but infuriating.

gtmtnbiker98
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Misery loves company, dude. Story of my life, especially at 3X5 cards at 7-yards under the clock. Who the hell comes up with this shit?

ToddG
03-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Misery loves company, dude. Story of my life, especially at 3X5 cards at 7-yards under the clock. Who the hell comes up with this shit?

JodyH (http://pistol-training.com/drills/99-drill)

:cool:

wicked_police
03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
That drill kicked my ass!
Especially the first 'stage'. I'll give it another try this week I hope, but with the holster I usually use instead of trying something new. :p

MechEng
03-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Does anyone remember that “Shoot out the Star (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2789/4067705284_6b8917a9da.jpg)” carnival game? I like to end each practice/training session with a drill that focuses on marksmanship. Take a target paster or draw a small square with a Sharpie and try to shoot it completely out with one full magazine at 5 yards. Even if you don’t succeed in shooting the square completely out you still end the practice session on a good note with some positive marksmanship feedback. Another benefit to this drill is you will gain a good understanding of how your sight alignment translates to the bullet’s impact point…if your marksmanship fundamentals are sound that is.

ToddG
03-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I'd make two suggestions:

Start your practice session with a cold drill that measures the things you might need in a moment's notice with no warm-up. For most folks who ccw or carry on duty, that's going to mean drawing and getting multiple accurate hits quickly, not hitting a bullseye at 25yd.
End your practice session with an accuracy-intensive string of fire that is within your normal performance envelope. The idea is not to push yourself but rather to reaffirm in your mind that when you step off the range, you can make an accurate shot on demand. If instead you choose a final drill that is beyond your ability, you just walk away frustrated, as with the OP.

Bill Lance
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Start your practice session with a cold drill that measures the things you might need in a moment's notice with no warm-up. For most folks who ccw or carry on duty, that's going to mean drawing and getting multiple accurate hits quickly, not hitting a bullseye at 25yd.
End your practice session with an accuracy-intensive string of fire that is within your normal performance envelope. The idea is not to push yourself but rather to reaffirm in your mind that when you step off the range, you can make an accurate shot on demand. If instead you choose a final drill that is beyond your ability, you just walk away frustrated, as with the OP.

That is such excellent advice. Guess that's why I'm here..;)

I try to live that when I visit the range, but that just expresses it much better than I could...

THANKS Todd---:cool:

Bill

x-man
03-02-2011, 12:20 PM
My own experience:
Have visual patience or someone calls it follow through. Hold the gun until front sight lifts. If I see front sight lift up and muzzle flash (mostly indoor), the bullet goes to where I aim. If front sight dips first before lifts, I start cursing myself.
Accept wobble. It's OK. Wobble with sight picture maintained, the hole is still pretty close to where you want the bullet to go.
Strong weak hand grip with firm contact on bottom of trigger guard from both hands would help. Slight jerk or trigger slap won't move the gun much, at least in close distance (5-10 yard).

EVP
03-02-2011, 11:34 PM

I 2nd this excellent info. I shall incorporate.

98z28
03-03-2011, 01:26 PM

That's some of the simplest and best advice out there. I like to run a "reverse" FAST as a cold drill (start with four to the circle) and then finish up the session with ten rounds on a B8 at 25 yards. I think leaving the range with confidence is a big deal.

The results of the cold drill can also change what I work on that day. Did I yank the trigger on the head shots? Time to bust out the dummy rounds. Did I fumble the reload? Time to work some strings with reloads.

MTechnik
04-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Ditto.

And a range locked at 15 yards can be a real pain sometimes.