PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ear Plugs?

Cookie Monster
03-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Looking for some high rated ear plugs, maybe custom fit. Let me know what roads I should be headed down.

I use the Surefire plugs Ep-4/5 which are good but I am looking for something better.

JTQ
03-10-2016, 08:23 PM
I've had custom plugs made for me by audiologists on a couple of occasions. The first set was in the mid-'80's. I paid about $60 for them. They worked great, but I eventually lost one of them. I had my second set made for me compliments of the USN in the early 2000's, so I don't know what the current costs are. They've been good, but I don't think they have been as good as the first set.

I'm not sure they noise block better than the simple roll up foam plugs, but they are infinitely easier to insert, and are very comfortable.

HopetonBrown
03-10-2016, 10:08 PM
I had a set made in 2008. Was fitted at a gunshow and they mailed them to me a few weeks later. Company who made them is Ear Inc (http://earinc.com/). They're made of silicone, I've been told that silicone is better than the stuff they mix in a Dixie cup to make them while you wait.

SLG
03-10-2016, 11:22 PM
I have some of Ear Inc.'s molded electronic ear pro. Its ok. Battery life is pretty short.

GRV
03-11-2016, 01:58 AM
eyemahm and I were just talking about this...

So, I have these great custom IEMs. I just wish I could route the TCI's audio through to them. That'd be pretty close to ideal.

mtnbkr
03-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Gander Mtn sells these "mold your own" kits for about $15 (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Radians-Custom-Molded-Ear-Plugs-Blue-Tan&i=415810). I've purchased two. The first, I used the entire kit and the plugs ended up being too big and not fitting well. I tried again and used half the kit and ended up with a better fit, but still not quite as tight as the silicone putty plugs (http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/ear-plugs-for-swimming/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value) I normally use. Good enough for outdoor use alone and indoor use under muffs.

Chris

voodoo_man
03-11-2016, 07:28 AM
What about to use in conjunction with electronic overhead ear pro? Who uses what?

SLG
03-11-2016, 08:16 AM
What about to use in conjunction with electronic overhead ear pro? Who uses what?

I use the solid molded ones under my Peltors.

Ntexwheels
03-11-2016, 08:25 AM
I purchased the Radians brand custom mold ear plugs kit a couple years ago. They work great both indoor and outdoors.

Rick_ICT
03-11-2016, 10:22 PM

I use the Surefire EP4s either with (24db) or without (12db) the filter caps closed under electronic ear pro, depending on the shooting going on around me. They are so pliable that I find they don't hurt my ears with the overhead muffs pressing against them. It's nice to be able to leave the caps out and hear a little easier when I'm not going to be around a lot of rifle fire.

Super77
03-11-2016, 11:14 PM
I have some custom plugs, the real deal where a tech pours goo in your ear to make plugs that fit your ear canals exactly. You even get to pick the color. And I hat them! they're somehow less comfortable than foamies, they don't block as much sound, they take longer to put in and position, and I can't lose them or throw them out if they get gunky. I like regular old soft foam plugs better in every way.

JTQ
03-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Man, I just pop mine in my ears. Of course I've been using them for a long time so I'm used to them. I always had trouble rolling up the foam plugs and getting good insertion into my ears. The custom plugs were a huge improvement to me as far as ease of use and comfort. They are a whole lot easier for me to put in than the foam plugs, they clean off very easily with a little soap and water, they pretty much never wear out, and they are flush with the outer part of the ear so they don't interfere with muffs over top. I'll grant you, they may not seal out noise as well as the foam plugs, but they still do a good job, for me at least.