PDA

View Full Version : Punta Cana

TGS
03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Going there for a wedding this year. We're going to make a vacation out of it.

Anyone got anything to share?

JV_
03-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Watch out for the sand fleas.

Guinnessman
03-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Punta Cana is great! I am down there at least once a month for work. What specifics do you want to know? I have stayed at several of the resorts and toured a few. Where are you staying?

ffchewy17
03-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Had my wedding at Dreams PUnta Cana ( 5 years ago). Very fun, relaxed atmosphere. If you have been to any other Caribbean resorts it's very similar. Still a little behind in infrastructure compared to the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, or Jamaica. The resort we stayed at was all inclusive. Food was ok, surprisingly bad seafood. The dive/snorkel trips were great, lots of sea life, really fun atmosphere. Zip lining was pretty awesome too, equipment from 1980 Rock gyms though. Bring plenty of small denomination US cash, we tipped the cleaning staff $5.00 a day and they always left extra towels and stocked the mini fridge with free water/beer.

Like any developing country don't drink the tap water, brush teeth with bottle water even at the resort. The island was very pretty, the water was clean and clear for swimming. I did bring my surfboard and personal dive equipment, would not take my board again. The resort advertised free snorkel equipment, but they only had 5 sets for the whole resort. If you have travelled much out of the US to Central or South America you will be comfortable moving about outside of the resort on your own, if not stay at the resort.

The normal airport scams are rampant at the arrival gate, make sure you find your resort transport and don't allow any "porter" to help you with your bags, they will hold your bags until you tip them. The airport is as shit show, especially departures. We arrived two hours prior to our departure and still had to be rushed to the gate due to the horrible check in process.

I would still go back in heartbeat, the trip was fun and amazingly inexpensive. I always enjoy visiting up and coming destinations before they become to touristy.

Kyle Reese
03-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Watch out for the sand fleas.

He knows all about those. :) Lots of them here in GA.

TGS
03-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Punta Cana is great! I am down there at least once a month for work. What specifics do you want to know? I have stayed at several of the resorts and toured a few. Where are you staying?

Alsol at Cap Cana.

The only other Caribbean place I've been is St Croix.

Just looking for general things to do/not do...whether it be social norms/faux pas with the locals, places/things to visit, places to stay away from, ect.

Guinnessman
03-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Alsol at Cap Cana.

The only other Caribbean place I've been is St Croix.

Just looking for general things to do/not do...whether it be social norms/faux pas with the locals, places/things to visit, places to stay away from, ect.

Cap Cana.......now I am jealous!

The only downside to Punta/Cap Cana is the food can be hit or miss. I have only been to the Bavaro Beach area of Punta Cana, which is north of the airport. Cap Cana is highly regarded and looks absolutely stunning from the air! The beaches there are awesome, and the sand is like sugar. The water is always warm and a beautiful turquoise color. It can be a little cloudy depending on the currents or storms, but on a calm day it looks like glass.

The drink of the island is Mamajuana. It can cure the common cold, flu, erectile dis function, and a wife with a headache........at least that's what the locals claim. Presidente is always tasty on a Dominican beach.

IMHO, Punta Cana is the best bang for the buck Caribbean vacation. The locals are friendly, hard working people. Enjoy the trip!