PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans for Spring Break

vcdgrips
03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Taking my 16 year old son to New Orleans for a road trip. We will be staying in the Garden District for 5 or 6 days. Other than Cafe Du Monde (sp), Court of the Two Sisters, the WWII Museum and a walk about Tulane, what else is a should see? What are things to absolutely avoid? I will have a car.

PM or post here as you are comfortable.

David Barnes

Peally
03-08-2016, 02:33 PM
All I know about New Orleans is when a hurricane hits it gets damn wet and when the right time of the year rolls by teh boobies are out in force.

I know that didn't help you at all, but when I think of Orleans I think of boobies.

okie john
03-08-2016, 02:46 PM
I'd walk through the French Quarter to check out the architecture.

Okie John

TR675
03-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Frenchman Street for music at night. It's near the Quarter but less touristy.

I like the Quarter in the mornings in the springtime; nighttime is too frantic for me. Although the Quarter at night might be a good scared-straight experience for your son. Or not. Depends on the answer to the question "Does that drunk, puking guy holding hands with the cross-dresser look like he's having fun?"

Kukuforguns
03-08-2016, 03:59 PM
I like the Quarter in the mornings in the springtime;

At least one morning, get up at daybreak and wander the French Quarter. It's kind of magical. Residents are watering their ferns and everything is touched by the golden light of sunrise. And, all the college students are passed out in their beds.

Preservation Hall.

Napoleon House for lunch. Have the muffaletta and a Pimm's Cup.

Do a plantation tour.

HCM
03-08-2016, 04:09 PM
The Confederate Memorial Hall Museum - it is across the street from the national WWII Museum.

okie john
03-08-2016, 04:14 PM
The Cabildo. Tons of history there.

Okie John

HCM
03-08-2016, 04:15 PM
All I know about New Orleans is when a hurricane hits it gets damn wet and when the right time of the year rolls by teh boobies are out in force.

I know that didn't help you at all, but when I think of Orleans I think of boobies.

What do you think a 16 year old boy thinks about ? :-)

LSP972
03-08-2016, 04:36 PM
At least one morning, get up at daybreak and wander the French Quarter. It's kind of magical. Residents are watering their ferns and everything is touched by the golden light of sunrise. And, all the college students are passed out in their beds.

And all the goblins are crashing from their night of work. And stay close to Canal Street; there is a big housing project/goblin lair a dozen blocks away. If you have a CCW permit reciprocal with Louisiana, for God's sake (and yours), use it.

ffhounddog
03-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Looks like some good places. Make sure you eat the food, I love cajun food myself but I have been to the places you are going to but the last few times I went was after my divorce, lets just say, I had too much fun at the adult establishments and leave it at that.

RoyGBiv
03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Ride the streetcar uptown to Audobon Park and check out the zoo. Surprisingly good zoo.

Head out of the city to the west and check out some of the old plantation homes along the river.
http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/

Airboat tours on the bayou

Everyone has their favorite places to eat..... There's hundreds of great ones...
My favorite is actually right near the airport on Williams in Kenner..... Harbor Seafood & Oyster Bar (http://www.fishermanscoveseafood.com/pages/Harbor-Seafood-Restaurant.html). Locals place, locals prices. If you go, be sure to have the oyster artichoke soup. <drool>

+100 for LSP972 recommendation to bring your gun. I lived not far from Lee Circle for a while. One block the wrong can be bad news.

David S.
03-08-2016, 06:19 PM
If you're a foodie, make sure you get solid restaurant tips. We had pretty bad luck picking places to eat when we visited last fall.

Guinnessman
03-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Go to Tujaque's and order the "Chicken Bonne Femme." It is their version of fried chicken. Here is a link: http://nomenu.com/?p=6279

Noleshooter
03-08-2016, 09:34 PM
The Royal Cafe: Get the blackened Redfish and the Royal Sampler

The Red Slipper: Get the BBQ Shrimp and Grits, Gulf Fish St. Peter or the Migas

Jax Brewery: Good music, stuffed duck jalepeno poppers

Coops: Shitty service and kindave a dump, but the cajun Jambalaya was incredible

Cafe Du Monde: Great, but I'm not convinced the best

WWII museum

JR1572
03-08-2016, 11:51 PM
And all the goblins are crashing from their night of work. And stay close to Canal Street; there is a big housing project/goblin lair a dozen blocks away. If you have a CCW permit reciprocal with Louisiana, for God's sake (and yours), use it.

Correct.

The Iberville Housing Development (the project close to the French Quarter) is being torn down right now. Canal Street (900-1200 blocks) has been the location of several shootings in the past 2-3 months during the evening rush hour.

If you have a CCW permit that is valid in LA bring a gun or two.

As a local that has lived here my entire life, I don't enter Orleans Parish unarmed.

The Aquarium and Audubon Zoo are nice places to check out. The Chalmette Battlefield is just to the east of New Orleans and that's where the Battle Of New Orleans took place.

There's lots of history here, just be conscious of your surroundings.

JR1572

Eli
03-09-2016, 01:56 AM
Cafe Du Monde for the coffee.

Cafe Amelie for the best damn shrimp and grits on the planet.

Chuck Haggard
03-09-2016, 06:34 AM
I've only been once. Had fun in the FQ, but also almost had to shoot a dude in broad daylight on Decatur street right near the aquarium.

If someone tries to tell you they know where you got your shoes reply "I got my shoes on my feet" and keep walking.

The museum right beside the church in the FQ, I forget the name, has a hell of a Bowie knife collection on display.

At the French market down the way from Cafe DuMonde is a place that's open in the mornings for breakfast that had the best bacon I've ever had in my life.

Pacioli
03-09-2016, 07:00 AM
I suggest you plan an entire day for the WWII Museum, a weekday would be better. I was there in May for the second time, first time was ten years ago and I was astounded at how much they had expanded. It's now in five buildings with a John Besh (American Grill) restaurant onsite. Be sure to sign up for the tour of the restoration hall where they are nearing completion of a PT boat that will eventually cruise Lake Ponchatrain.

Regarding morning tours of the French Quarter...don't go too early. Give them time to hose the urine down. That is a serious statement.

Check out James H Cohen Antique Guns on Royal St in the Quarter. Definitely worth a couple of hours.

Most importantly, carry your gun and maintain your awareness. In N.O. one block from touristy can be deadly. That goes for uptown as well as the quarter. And the touristy areas are not to be trusted either.

Gadfly
03-09-2016, 09:14 AM
I am a little surprised to hear there are still crooks in NOLA. When Katrina hit, it seems they exported all their problems to Houston. Our crime rate spiked post Katrina as their dealers fought our dealers over "sales disputes"....

150k evacuees came and the crime rate/homicide rate spiked 23% in the 3 months post Katrina...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/05/AR2006020500884.html

Nice town. But yeah, I would carry everywhere I went.

Chuck Haggard
03-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I suggest you plan an entire day for the WWII Museum, a weekday would be better.
Regarding morning tours of the French Quarter...don't go too early. Give them time to hose the urine down. That is a serious statement.

Check out James H Cohen Antique Guns on Royal St in the Quarter. Definitely worth a couple of hours.

Agree with the first part. I forgot about the antique gun place, it is in fact very cool.

vcdgrips
03-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Thank you all. Keep them coming.

TheRoland
03-09-2016, 03:25 PM
If you like oysters, try several different oyster places. Even the hotel resteraunts will serve them and are excellent. They're not as good anywhere else. Eat until you're sick of them.

Seriously, find out a way to carry a gun. Last time I was there, they accepted the vast majority of permits.

Chance
03-09-2016, 04:18 PM

I second this. The vomit smell will really kill your appetite for breakfast.

RoyGBiv
03-09-2016, 04:24 PM
I second this. The vomit smell will really kill your appetite for breakfast.

It's part of the charm of the place....

Oh.. and... Mothers (http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/index.html) makes a good breakfast, great jambalaya and excellent debris (http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/history_facts.html)sandwich.

I lived walking distance from the Bluebird (http://www.yelp.com/biz/bluebird-cafe-new-orleans), my favorite place for breakfast. Unfortunately it closed a few years ago.
The place that replaced it, Coulis (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60864-d426349-Reviews-Coulis-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html), has gotten good reviews. I've not been there..

Casey
03-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Last time I was in New Orleans was 2006, so my info is dated, but the food at Bacchanal (http://www.bacchanalwine.com/#about-marquee) was absolutely amazing.