PDA

View Full Version : You know its a bad day at the lab when...

LSP972
03-08-2016, 11:35 AM
... you're happy to see a Ruger P89; because you know that, despite the best efforts of Tyrone or Bubba, its probably going to work when you test-fire it.

This morning has been a steady parade of Hi-Points, Jimenez Arms Specials, and one SCCY1 across my bench; all of which needed dissecting and fixing to function. Hi-Points, in particular, have an... interesting... disassembly procedure, requiring a 1/8 punch and a left-handed metric ball peen hammer- a big one. At least, none of them were lubed with chicken grease, so I suppose I should count my blessings...:rolleyes:

This a great job; but there are days when it would have paid better to just stay in the rack.

rjohnson4405
03-08-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm intrigued...

What is this job you speak of?

Chuck Haggard
03-08-2016, 12:02 PM
But, but, muh HiPoint always works! Just as good as!

Peally
03-08-2016, 12:12 PM
You're getting the wrong HiPoints in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQk244oW9c

LSP972
03-08-2016, 01:06 PM
I'm intrigued...

What is this job you speak of?

Forensic scientist... at least, that's what my ID card says.

In reality, I'm just a glorified lab technician.

Luke
03-08-2016, 01:15 PM
You're getting the wrong HiPoints in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQk244oW9c

One day I hope I'm crazy good just so I can do stuff like this. Can you imagine winning matches shooting open with a high point?

LSP, have you really seen guns lubed with chicken grease?

farscott
03-08-2016, 01:23 PM

Must resist the FireClean comment ....

rjohnson4405
03-08-2016, 01:24 PM
So I take it you have to get the guns to at least fire once to get a ballistic match or whatever it is?

That sounds pretty interesting. Does it tend to be pretty pedestrian stuff, changing springs, etc? Or are you zip tie-ing and duct taping like a mad scientist to get the geometry right for one shot?

LSP972
03-08-2016, 01:43 PM

Yes indeed. I even found a small piece of white meat in a Lorcin once.

LSP972
03-08-2016, 01:47 PM
So I take it you have to get the guns to at least fire once to get a ballistic match or whatever it is?

Three times; gives a wider spectrum to choose from when comparing brass and/or bullets on the microscope.

As to what actions are taken to get the things to shoot; it depends. That sounds like a cop-out, but there are many factors to consider, the primary one being what kind of case is it? A homeycide is a quite different from some knucklehead shooting up his apartment parking lot, etc.

Hambo
03-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Yes indeed. I even found a small piece of white meat in a Lorcin once.

You need to get out of the lab more. When you hit a Popeyes you can clear $17.30 from the register, dinner, and you can use the greasy chicken bag to wipe down your Hi-Point.

rjohnson4405
03-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Understood.

Not that you have the time or inclination, but would make for a interesting running blog, especially with pictures. Not sure if that violates some rules either, just a (selfish) thought for my entertainment.

LSP972
03-08-2016, 04:42 PM
... a interesting running blog, especially with pictures... violates some rules...

Yes, just a few. Sorry, not happening.

Haven't spent much time down here, have you, Hambo? Brotha doan need to go to Popeye's; he get his grease from the pot of yardbird his baby-momma done fried up. THEN he goes out for some non-traditional shopping…;)

HCM
03-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Yes, just a few. Sorry, not happening.

Haven't spent much time down here, have you, Hambo? Brotha doan need to go to Popeye's; he get his grease from the pot of yardbird his baby-momma done fried up. THEN he goes out for some non-traditional shopping…;)

This is not limited to one group. There is an episode of "Alaskan Bush People" in which two of the adult children grease up their hunting rifles by pouring chicken grease from a skillet into the actions and working the bolts.

Of course they just plead guilty to defrauding the state's Permanent Fund out of more than $20,000 so there is a pattern here ....

TGS
03-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Using animal fats (especially mixed with beeswax, lanolin, ect) doesn't strike me as terribly odd. It's an age old practice. It's actually something of a hobby among certain circles.

How do you guys think people greased their guns before the age of (cough***rip off****cough) high tech gun oils?

Drang
03-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Whale oil, or olive (commonly referred to as "sweet") oil

Mitchell, Esq.
03-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Using animal fats (especially mixed with beeswax, lanolin, ect) doesn't strike me as terribly odd. It's an age old practice. It's actually something of a hobby among certain circles.

How do you guys think people greased their guns before the age of (cough***rip off****cough) high tech gun oils?

They had guns before that time?

No...really?

LSP972
03-08-2016, 05:57 PM

Well, all I can tell you is, chicken grease works… for about a day. Then it congeals into a god-awful mess that gums up the piece quite thoroughly.

There is a reason we buy non-chlorinated carburetor cleaner spray by the case…

Lon
03-08-2016, 07:06 PM
I got to test fire a couple seized guns today too. Mine were nice guns though. A no dash nickel 586. And a RTF Glock 23 in great condition.

LtDave
03-08-2016, 09:42 PM
I always cringed when the DA wanted confirmation that a Mac10 assembled (cobbled togther) out of flats was in fact a machine gun. Had to do that dance a couple times. Never more than 3 rounds in the gun...