PDA

View Full Version : I found a pretty cool stump removal trick

LittleLebowski
03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Another redneck stump removal method is to take a 55 gallon metal drum and cut both ends out of it. Sit it over the stump and build a good fire in the drum and the stump will slowly burn up too. Move the barrel the next day and now you have a hole to fill up with dirt.

Peally
03-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Sounds easier than pulling the damn thing

Luke
03-08-2016, 09:50 AM
We've done it on small stuff with a leaf blower. I don't see it working without something pumping in fresh oxygen fast

PPGMD
03-08-2016, 09:50 AM
The classic Redneck tree stump removal, drill hole in middle of tree stump. Shove a stick of dynamite to the bottom, light, and run.

If a single stick isn't enough, remember the critical equation for explosives: P= Plenty

LittleLebowski
03-08-2016, 10:25 AM
We've done it on small stuff with a leaf blower. I don't see it working without something pumping in fresh oxygen fast

That makes sense.

I also need to start a leaf blower thread...

mtnbkr
03-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Be careful with that method. Depending on the size and reach of the stump and roots, the fire can hollow out a significant space under the ground that could collapse as well as spread an underground fire to other trees.

Probably simpler to rent or hire a stump grinder if it's large or use a sawzall and cheap blade if it's small (have done the latter).

Chris

Cookie Monster
03-08-2016, 11:11 AM
If you need to remove the stump to till for a garden or some construction project, burning it out seems fine.

99% of the time I low cut it with a chainsaw to ground level and cover with some dirt (and then sharpen the chain). I don't feel the need to disturb the soil if not needed. There is also "mushrooming" stumps which works well in a wood lot.

SLG
03-08-2016, 11:17 AM
I mushroom mine and really like the way it looks. Just don't wait till they're dry...:-(

David S.
03-08-2016, 06:22 PM
I mushroom mine and really like the way it looks. Just don't wait till they're dry...:-(

This.

Not as manly as FIRE!!, but it adds fertility to your land.

LittleLebowski
03-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Reading up on this, sounds delicious.

TCinVA
03-08-2016, 09:38 PM
I learn something every time I visit this site.

Often it's not remotely what I thought I would be learning...

Arbninftry
03-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Cinder blocks around the stump, and charcoal. The charcoal will continue to burn for hours, charcoal is better than a fire. It stays hotter longer.
Burns the stump down, so you don't screw up your mowers.