PDA

View Full Version : Harrassment

voodoo_man
03-06-2016, 03:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zh6xX5uK_M

According to some research/info I found online the dude recording himself was arrested for 3.5 ounces of marijuana possession, resisting arrest and some summary citation for crossing incorrectly.

I started this thread because I have dealt with this type of thing before, very similar situations where the person in question is 100% doing something illegal and them screaming at the top of their lungs while physically resisting (but not actively fighting) is a tactic to bait officers into committing to a physical confrontation.

"Shopping for a suit" is what this really is, as the video did not show the interaction or actions of the recorder before hand and only showed the officer giving legal commands which the male physically and vocally resisted.

Unfortunately, there are many members of the general public that will watch this and believe the officer "profiled" and "harassed" this person while he was committing crimes.

Where I work, if you are walking down the street recording yourself and you walk against a red light that is a primary offense for a pedestrian disregarding a red signal at an intersection and can also be construed as recklessly endangering other people.

Thread is most of an FYI look at this crap than anything else.

Luke
03-06-2016, 03:59 PM
I want human rights :(

joshs
03-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, there are many members of the general public that will watch this and believe the officer "profiled" and "harassed" this person while he was committing crimes.

Where I work, if you are walking down the street recording yourself and you walk against a red light that is a primary offense for a pedestrian disregarding a red signal at an intersection and can also be construed as recklessly endangering other people.

Perhaps those many members of the public don't think that marijuana possession or crossing against a signal where it doesn't impede traffic should be criminal offenses.

voodoo_man
03-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Perhaps those many members of the public don't think that marijuana possession or crossing against a signal where it doesn't impede traffic should be criminal offenses.

And those members of the public are very well entitled to their opinion, chances are there were other things that prompted the officer to focus his attention on this particular person. People do not just randomly record themselves before they are about to be stopped by the police, unless I seem to be missing hundreds upon thousands of videos out there.

Also, 3.5 ounces would get you arrested where I work, and its pretty much decriminalized here.

As far as impeding traffic, well, we can't really tell from the video, now can we?

Larry Sellers
03-06-2016, 04:40 PM
I don't know how you folks deal with this daily. I truly don't, growing up I wanted to be a police officer in the worst way: did the ride alongs and all that awesome stuff. Long story short I went to the fire side and we do interact with LEO's almost daily on ems runs and accidents it's truly sad to see the way that LE is treated now. Everyone is out there thinking that they know the law better than you folks and that you're violating their rights by asking them a question or two.

My hat is off to the men and women who wear that uniform day in and day out, I can't imagine the stress that goes along with that badge. Truly a thankless job.

Joe

Rick_ICT
03-06-2016, 06:07 PM
2:30 "he followed me and my friend..." then later "he do this shit everyday" and "I got 13 years in the penitentiary, you can't do this".

Translation: bicycle cop observes known local drug dealer, probably in the course of some "business transaction". Observant cop begins following said dealer, suspect begins getting nervous. Jailhouse lawyer suspect is holding and decides he better figure out how to make a Terry stop look like unlawful harassment so he whips out his cellphone and starts crafting his narrative. His timing is a little off though, so he has to repeat himself ad nauseam while waiting for the cop to make his move. Unwittingly, the dumbass suspect is so wrapped up in his BLM video production that he crosses against a light, giving the cop all the reason in the world to make the stop. The look on his face when he realizes what he's done is priceless.

This is also another perfect example in my opinion of why cops should embrace body cameras.

ETA: ROFLMFAO, I just watched the video again, at :29 he recorded proof that he was crossing against the light. I'm dying.

busykngt
03-06-2016, 08:06 PM
13 years in the pen.... obviously a s-l-o-w learner (for which he'll have to pay the price). [emoji1345]

Sent from my Apple thang.

Hambo
03-06-2016, 10:25 PM
2:30 "he followed me and my friend..." then later "he do this shit everyday" and "I got 13 years in the penitentiary, you can't do this".

Translation: bicycle cop observes known local drug dealer, probably in the course of some "business transaction".

I believe we have a winner.

As difficult as this may be for people to believe, people often lie about the circumstances leading to their arrest.

Hambo
03-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Translation: bicycle cop observes known local drug dealer, probably in the course of some "business transaction".

I believe we have a winner.

As difficult as this may be for people to believe, people often lie about the circumstances leading to their arrest.

cclaxton
03-08-2016, 10:16 AM
BLM started something I like to call Civil Rights for Criminals.
How do they get this craziness back in the bag?
Cody

Rick_ICT
03-08-2016, 10:28 AM
BLM started something I like to call Civil Rights for Criminals.
How do they get this craziness back in the bag?
Cody

Criminals have the same civil rights as anyone else. The problem is, the BLM movement seems to think those rights include the right not to be busted for doing illegal stuff if your skin is a certain shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
03-08-2016, 10:31 AM
I have never dealt with the individual in the video, but I am very familiar with the officer. Even though he has never worked for me personally, I am familiar with him and worked around him in his last unit of assignment. He is extremely[/I] professional at all times. It sickens me to know that this officer and his family now have to endure the additional stress that will come with this video being all over Yahoo News.

I will not comment further on an open forum as there is an active Internal Investigation ongoing.

Rick_ICT
03-08-2016, 10:56 AM
...I will not comment further on an open forum as there is an active Internal Investigation ongoing.

Which is asinine. What are they investigating? The officer was the epitome of professionalism as far as what I saw on the video. He used only as much force (not much at that) as was necessary for the resistance the suspect was offering. And there sure isn't any doubt about the reason for the stop, the guy recorded the "Do Not Walk" light himself.

This is rhetorical of course, I know you cannot respond.

As has been said here and elsewhere, I really feel for what cops are having to go through these days. Unfortunately there have definitely been abuses by some, and probably in front of too many blind eyes, but the pendulum has swung so far the other way now that policing appears to be becoming practically impossible to accomplish effectively. I don't have an answer, but common sense needs to prevail soon or we're going to have a real problem when good men and women looking at going into law enforcement run the other direction. And who could blame them? The irony being that those screaming the loudest about imaginary abuses will be among the first to suffer from diminished police effectiveness.

voodoo_man
03-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I have never dealt with the individual in the video, but I am very familiar with the officer. Even though he has never worked for me personally, I am familiar with him and worked around him in his last unit of assignment. He is extremely[/I] professional at all times. It sickens me to know that this officer and his family now have to endure the additional stress that will come with this video being all over Yahoo News.

I will not comment further on an open forum as there is an active Internal Investigation ongoing.

This type of thing really rubs me the wrong way and it plays out all the time in the public limelight.

Ive had several officers I personally know get put through the ringer for good police work that was turned into some BS by the media and the BLM types.

cclaxton
03-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Criminals have the same civil rights as anyone else. The problem is, the BLM movement seems to think those rights include the right not to be busted for doing illegal stuff if your skin is a certain shade.
That is what I meant...you said it better.
Cody

cclaxton
03-08-2016, 11:40 AM
With all the police unions in the country, why don't they have their own video channel and public relations campaign? Seems like it would help bring some balance to the sensationalizing done by the media.
Cody

voodoo_man
03-08-2016, 04:46 PM
With all the police unions in the country, why don't they have their own video channel and public relations campaign? Seems like it would help bring some balance to the sensationalizing done by the media.
Cody

Policeone.com is as big as it will get.

Remember, that would mean all the top brass, of all the PD's would have to sign off on using footage (that lawyers would go crazy over) of people doing stupid things. Sure it would be awesome, but fact remains most (if not all) won't, especially not the larger depts. The top brass are ball-less, they are afraid of losing their jobs or looking horrible, they definitely won't back their people up.

pcgunner
03-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Perhaps I over simplify things, but for me...

If you act like a thug you get treated like thug
If the police tell you to stop - you stop - you don't run
If the police tell you to stop resisting, you go limp - you betcha, I'm not resisting!
If the police tell you to raise your hands - you raise your hands, you don't say "why - I didn't do anything"? and point a shiny object in their general direction!
If you point a shiny object at the police you get shot - even if it was a toy, hopefully killed to remove you from the gene pool, because that was really quite stupid!

Parents need to teach their children NOT to point toy guns or anything else at the police and their children won't get shot.
I know my parents taught me to obey the police - even if I think I'm right. After all, THEY HAVE GUNS AND ARE ALLOWED TO SHOOT! You can always argue/discuss your point after wards or in court.

And as far as BLM- um, All lives matter, don't they or is that just for the AA's (African American's)?
I get a little confused because I thought the term was African American, are we back to Black now? Shouldn't it be AALM?

This is by no means meant to be a racist post, just offering an opinion and getting clarification

SAWBONES
03-08-2016, 08:56 PM
A true ass.
People like this should have stayed in the penitentiary where they'd already "spent 13 years".

farscott
03-09-2016, 06:42 AM
The guy in the video is using a classic technique: He is controlling the narrative. He got his side of the story out first with YouTube, so it looks like the officer is following the guy just waiting for him to do anything as a pretext to harass him. As such, the Cincinnati PD has to respond and is playing defense as what triggered the officer following the guy is not in the video. As such, someone who is not familiar with how LE works sees "harassment" as opposed to "walking the beat". The fact that most people's idea of how LE works comes from "Law and Order" and "CSI" is why people see racism instead of good street police work. The idea of probable cause for a stop when people see Chris Noth just tackling people is not understood by the public.

It would be awesome if the officer had a bodycam with audio recording. That way the narrative would start with something like, "Noticed subject leaving location where drug deals are known to occur. Looking for probable cause for a stop. Probable cause is jaywalking as he just crossed against the light. Approaching subject to determine if he is indeed holding drugs." That frames the whole discussion in a different light as the jaywalking offense is only a means to determine if there are grounds for a felony arrest.

Where I live in Alabama, there has been an incident where a man who was emotionally disturbed was tasered at the hospital and died. Even though the man's mother was one of the people who wanted the police to deal with her son, she later stated that the police did not need to kill her son. Of course, that got people excited. The body cam footage showing the officers' actions has been released to the public, and that footage essentially defused the story. The state is still investigating the incident, but the narrative is entirely different than "police killed my sick son".

rob_s
03-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Here's the thing I never get about these situations...

Let's just say that the cop IS "profiling" the guy and following him for being black. Let's say he's doing this hoping that the guy will commit some minor infraction so that the cop can stop him and have an excuse to frisk him. Unless the guy was a felon in possession, that's where it would end. But noooooo, the idiot is walking around with illegal drugs in his possession, knowing that it is illegal and that the consequences for him are probably greater than they are for non-felons, and he did it anyway!

I was involved in the punk rock scene when I was younger. In the South. I got "profiled", followed, "harassed", searched, etc. more than a few times. While I don't think choosing to have a blue mohawk is the same thing as being born black, the thing that resulted in my never having been arrested is that no matter how I looked I never had anything illegal in my pocket.