PDA

View Full Version : Put my 320sc and my G19 to the test. (Well my test)

Dismas316
03-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Ran my g19 through the paces against my sig 320sc and ran the the 320sc w/ both the 12 & 15 round mag option. Mostly with the 15 round mag that gave me a better apples to apple comparison. The 19 is my favorite glock and I think from the size, it probably is the best gun from a concealment perspective that just about any other gun with a 15 round option. However, my 320sc utilizing both the 12 & 15 round options was better shooting and more accurate for me. The 19 is a fine shooter, but I just seem more accurate with my groupings with the 320 with either magazine option. I expected to do well with the 15 round option, but was just as good with the 12 round utilizing the smaller grip. I ran a number of drills, dot torture test, and Haley's shift gears drill along with metal target trees that were at the range. I was just better with the 320 across the board.

Presenting from holster quickly really well and seem to be able to get on target with accuracy a little quicker w/ the 320. The ergo's with the 15 round mag is just fantastic yet still have a very concealable option with 12 round if I want. I honestly like to carry the 19 so was hoping I would be at least as good from an accuracy perspective but it really was a bit disappointing that I just don't seem to be that accurate as I'd like with the g19.

Seems like the 320sc is almost underrated and usually isn't often compared to the more compact or larger size guns but it really has tremendous versatility with either mag options, and more importantly, is just a fantastic shooting firearm for me. I could never shoot my g26 nearly as well and it does better than my glock 19 and just as good from an accuracy as my PPQ, add the 15 round option and it just gives you great options. Just an excellent carry pistol

Anyway this isn't to run down the glock (it's been a favorite edc option) but really to tout the versatility of the 320sc. I almost see no need to the compact size gun (which I really like) with the versatility and accuracy of the 320s. It's been the best striker fired pistol for me. Well that's my 2 cents, and just one guys experience with two great pistols. Anyone else have success with the 320sc?

MVS
03-04-2016, 11:05 PM
What is a little quicker? You say the Sig is more accurate, is that at speed or slow fire? What do you attribute the difference to? I have not shot a 320 yet, but am curious to try one out.

Dismas316
03-04-2016, 11:38 PM
What is a little quicker? You say the Sig is more accurate, is that at speed or slow fire? What do you attribute the difference to? I have not shot a 320 yet, but am curious to try one out.

i seem to be able to pick up the sights from the point of aim quicker, even though I have better sights on my 19. Best way I could describe it is if you close your eyes and point the gun it seems to intuitively be on the target better. (If that makes sense). I'm more accurate at both speed and slow fire with the 320. Not really sure what I would attribute this to, maybe the grip angle of the glock makes it more difficult for me. I just don't seem to be as accurate with glocks as I am with other firearms. I like the way they shoot in general and they always are fairly easy to get back in target but my accuracy isn't quite as good. Always tend to have the dreaded left with the glock.

HCM
03-04-2016, 11:54 PM
Do you have a shot timer ? or a shot timer app for your phone ?

You need numbers (time / accuracy scores). Feel can be misleading. For example a smooth run on drill can "feel" slow but actually be the fastest run of the day.

Not saying you are wrong. I've been playing with a 320C for awhile and like it very much but targets and timers don't lie.

Dismas316
03-05-2016, 10:09 AM
I do have the app but didn't use it during my comparison. Speed wasn't much of a factor as much as my accuracy. The biggest issue is really the accuarcy. Ultimately they both work pretty well for me but I just was a little surprised at the ease of the 320sc to get on target more consistently. I especially like it with the 15 round mag. I have considered often getting the 320c exchange kit but really see no reason given the versatile of the 320sc And how well I shoot it. I'll try out with the timer next time and see if there is much of a difference.

HopetonBrown
03-05-2016, 11:56 AM
If you're able to pick up the sights quicker with one gun it sounds more like a sights issue and perhaps not a gun issue? What sights are on the 19? What was the distances you were shooting at and what target were you using?

Dismas316
03-06-2016, 07:22 AM
If you're able to pick up the sights quicker with one gun it sounds more like a sights issue and perhaps not a gun issue? What sights are on the 19? What was the distances you were shooting at and what target were you using?

It's much less of a sight issue and more of accuracy. I have ameriglo Spartans on my glock and there great. The 320 has the sig ns which I'm not a big fan. While I mentioned in my earlier post picking up the sight picture quicker I probably over emphasised that. Bottom line is I'm just not as accurate with the 19 as I' with the 320.

miller_man
03-06-2016, 08:52 AM
but targets and timers don't lie.

Pretty much this. I just read a lot/post little here, but I find (especially around here) - to say xxx gun is better/more accurate/faster - it isn't really valid until you've got numbers to back it up. It is one thing I really love about shooting with timers/standard targets - the targets and timer don't lie/can't be fudged and feeling/perception don't affect or change performance numbers. Not saying that those things can't be a factor or useful though.

Dismas316
03-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Pretty much this. I just read a lot/post little here, but I find (especially around here) - to say xxx gun is better/more accurate/faster - it isn't really valid until you've got numbers to back it up. It is one thing I really love about shooting with timers/standard targets - the targets and timer don't lie/can't be fudged and feeling/perception don't affect or change performance numbers. Not saying that those things can't be a factor or useful though.

So here is what I don't understand, (no expert, just asking) if I'm using say the dot torture test (about 6-7yrds) which I can pass with my 320 and fail with my 19 doesn't that indicate less accuracy with the gun? Running both at the same speed essentially. Same with the Haley shift gear drills. Both have a element of timing but more emphasis on accuracy of the firearm.

Is there some specific drill or test that I should be timing myself on with each? Open to trying different things with both. I like both so honestly just want to use the one that seems to work best.

BehindBlueI's
03-06-2016, 11:42 AM
So here is what I don't understand, (no expert, just asking) if I'm using say the dot torture test (about 6-7yrds) which I can pass with my 320 and fail with my 19 doesn't that indicate less accuracy with the gun? Running both at the same speed essentially. Same with the Haley shift gear drills. Both have a element of timing but more emphasis on accuracy of the firearm.

Is there some specific drill or test that I should be timing myself on with each? Open to trying different things with both. I like both so honestly just want to use the one that seems to work best.

The problem is without a timer, you really have no idea if you're running them at the same speed essentially. You'd be unable to notice, say, .50 seconds on one gun vs the other just keeping track in your head, especially when you're preoccupied with actually shooting. That's why a timer matters.

If you're talking pure potential accuracy, then time is irrelevant. If you're talking accuracy in X seconds, then you need a par timer to keep both guns in X seconds. If you want to know speed with acceptable accuracy, then you need a timer to see how fast you actually shot a given drill.

HopetonBrown
03-06-2016, 12:38 PM
So here is what I don't understand, (no expert, just asking) if I'm using say the dot torture test (about 6-7yrds) which I can pass with my 320

Shooting 50/50 on Dot Torture at 7 yards is *really* good, congrats.

Is there some specific drill or test that I should be timing myself on with each?

10-10-10 ("The Test") and FAST are 2 I do often. Also "Finding Your Level" by CCT125US, levels 2 and 3.

HCM
03-06-2016, 12:52 PM

It's more a matter of picking a couple drinks and running them with both guns. I like Dot torture and 25 yard bullseye with B-8s for accuracy. The FAST and 10-10-10 are good too. The new Hackathorn drill which is like as pistol version of half and half - b8 target, 10 rounds 15 seconds @15 yards, then 10/10 @10 and then 10 rounds in 5 seconds 5 yards.

Dismas316
03-06-2016, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=HopetonBrown;415933]Shooting 50/50 on Dot Torture at 7 yards is *really* good, congrats.

Well I'm a little generous when I say pass. For me it is acceptable through the test, certainly not 100%, just the 19 I was really bad. However today I discovered my biggest problem which is just a fundamental flaw. I adjusted my grip today with my glock to much more of a pronounced "pull" of my weak hand (right handed) as opposed to the more traditional 60/40 squeeze. So I pulled strong with my left hand, particularly my fingers against my knuckles and my accuracy was much much better with the glock. Better with my 320 as well. Of course I figured this out toward the end of the shooting day so I will likely get back to the range and work on that a little more. I've done the fast drill which is pretty fun, will try the triple 10 as well. thanks