PDA

View Full Version : Using A Revolver In IDPA

JonInWA
03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Although I'm not IDPA classified in them, I've committed to using my revolvers in at least two IDPA matches each year; to maximize the experience, this year I did it in back-to-back matches, which enabled me to capitalize on improvements and having a continuous/consistant dry-fire practice regime throughout the 2 month period.

In both matches, I used my Ruger GP100 in the Stock Service Revolver division in a Kramer horsehide IWB holster. While fully within compliance with IDPA SSR guidelines, my GP100 has been extensively refined and tuned by Chris Peters some 10 years ago; the only changes that I've subsequently made are to use the smaller/round-butt Ruger grip (the one that's OEM for the fixed-sight GP100), and to switch out the OEM 14 lb mainspring for a 12 lb Wolff, and similarly switch the 11 lb OEM trigger return spring with a Wolff 8 lb (To obtain the best balance of spring performance, I simply got the Wolff GP100 Shooters Pack, and did research and hands-on experimentation-on my particular gun, the 12/8 combination yields a lighter, smoother totally reliable combination without compromising trigger reset or reliability even with CCI primers {eight different factory cartridges/loadings were tried after the springs were installed}). Others that I came across in my research indicated that the 12lb mainspring was the best for across-the-board reliability; lower weightings tended to necessitate lighter primers (i.e., Federal) for 100% functioning; while the preponderance of shooters recommended the 10 lb trigger return spring to ensure a strong reset, my highly tuned and internally polished/cleaned up GP performed just fine (and with a lighter triggerpull) with the 8 lb Wolff trigger return spring.

The GP100 plus Chris' action job plus a set of Millett Orange Bar sights worked well. Yeah, I was bog slow (in comparison to my Glocks which are what I usually use/carry, to say nothing of in comparison to the other auto-pistol toting competitors), but I was particularly pleased with my accuracy-due to dry- and range-fire practice, my index with the revolver was surprisingly effective.

Using the new IDPA rules revision, throughout the match my primary reload was a Safariland Comp III speedloader kept in my strongside jacket pocket, with the second and third reloads being held in HKS speedloaders in a Bianchi Accumold dual pouch, mounted strongside, just ahead of the holster. I only needed to resort to the HKS reloads a couple of times throughout the 7 stage match, but when I did, I encountered zero problems in withdrawing them from the velcro-flapped Bianchi pouch (other than my slow speed). For additional practice, my initial administrative load before each stage was done with a Bianchi Speed Strip, since that's a consistant reload source when I choose to carry a revolver. So throughout the match I was able to consistantly utilize 3 different reload devices.

While shooting the match in a squad where the most common pistol was a full-size Glock, in a squad of above-average skill fellow shooters (including one hearty soul using a 5-shot J-frame snubby for real-world practice), I never felt undergunned or frustrated by any limitations inherent to using a revolver per se. Having limited cartridges on board definitely forced me to hone in on accuracy, resulting to a slower overall time but my accuracy was definitely there. When practicing I noticed a discernable difference in draw times when using the Kramer horsehide holster in comparison to the kydex Blade-Tech IWB I had made for my Security Six, but in the match itself I never perceived that the draw time was unduly slow with the horsehide holster.

For ammunition, I used Remington/UMC 125gr SJHP .38 Special +P; I've found it to be consistantly reliable, and a great analog for my real-world carry, the Remington Golden Saber 125 gr +P JHP cartridge. During the match, I encontered 1 primer that failed to ignite (firing pin indentation appeared to be more than sufficient, so I assume that it was simply a defective primer).

While I only occassionally carry a revolver, I very consistantly keep one (usually the Security Six) in our nightstand drawer, so the match use (and pre-match practices) of the GP was time very well spent in a conceptual sense.

The heavy barrel of the GP provides a very steady platform; while my standard/half-lug Security Six barrel is more dynamic in terms of being quicker to get from draw to initial shot, and quicker in target-to-target transition times, but the GP was definitely a tad steadier, and the weight decreased the necessary shot-to-shot recovery times.

The Wolff spring set definitely enabled me to take advantage of Chris Peter's superb work (both at the time he did the work, and currently he was/is a senior Ruger employee {I believe that he's currently the head of their New Hampshire Customer Service Department}, so he felt compelled for purposes of liability to remain with the OEM springs, which are overly heavy-the Wolffs literally transformed the character of the action (for the better).

The smaller "round-butt"/compact Ruger grips are excellent; their decreased size makes for much more viable concealed carry, without there being any compromise in grip whatsoever.

The upshot (every pun intended) was that while I hardly set any IDPA match performance land-speed records, I'm very pleased with using my revolver in IDPA competition. There is a definite tranferrence for real-world use and carry techniques, and I feel much more confident in the viability of my using a revolver in self-defense applications due to both the matches and the pre/post match practices.

Best, Jon

jetfire
03-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Jon, a random question, but what matches? I ask because I live in Redmond and shot the last IDPA match at Renton Fish and Game in SSR as well.

JonInWA
03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Jon, a random question, but what matches? I ask because I live in Redmond and shot the last IDPA match at Renton Fish and Game in SSR as well.

The same, Caleb-Renton Fish and Game (my forum avatar is a image taken by Ed Leavett of me shooting my Gen 3 Glock G19 at one of the matches there at the moment of firing). We were in different squads at last month's match. I shot the GP100 in SSR in both the January and the recent February matches; last year I used my Security-Six in two of the matches. While I also like and recommend the subsequent week's matches at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup, it's difficult (both job-wise and Wifely Review Board-wise) for me to shoot two Saturday IDPA matches in a row...

Best, Jon

jetfire
03-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I've been meaning to get down to Puyallup for a match and haven't had the opportunity yet. Sadly, it also looks like I won't be shooting much revolver for the rest of the year.

jlw
03-05-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm on the opposite coast from you guys. A local club here sponsors a sanctioned "Wheelgun Championship" and the regular monthly matches are revolver friendly. There a several shooters who shoot revolver there but bottom-feeders elsewhere.

I'm planning to classify with a revolver and shoot in the Wheelgun Championship. I will most likely shoot my 586 is SSR, but maybe I'll go with a K frame.

Jeffie
03-05-2011, 03:58 PM
i start IPSC revolver in Belgium, 629-1 44 magnum

rsa-otc
03-05-2011, 09:16 PM
When finances and match structure allow I try to shoot both CDP and SSR. Both of the local clubs I shoot at will allow additional runs in different classes. I shoot an early production 686 using safariland gear and compII speedloaders. This mimics my every day duty carry. Ammo is 160 LRN reloads at +P velocities.

When I started it was just me and one of the professional shooters that would compete in SSR. It has caught on and at both clubs more shooters are competing in SSR.

There have been a few nights that my revolver score bested my auto score.

Wheeler
03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm on the opposite coast from you guys. A local club here sponsors a sanctioned "Wheelgun Championship" and the regular monthly matches are revolver friendly. There a several shooters who shoot revolver there but bottom-feeders elsewhere.

I'm planning to classify with a revolver and shoot in the Wheelgun Championship. I will most likely shoot my 586 is SSR, but maybe I'll go with a K frame.

They will be running the classifier tomorrow and next month at Cherokee. I'll give you $100 and a pack of Nabs for that 586. :)

Wheeler

jlw
03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
They will be running the classifier tomorrow and next month at Cherokee. I'll give you $100 and a pack of Nabs for that 586. :)

Wheeler

I've been fighting a bug all week; so, I didn't make the trip for the classifier today. Of course, it's 13:15 now; so, I could leave the house, make the 40 minute drive, and still get there with about 30 minutes to spare before they start shooting. :cool:

Wheeler
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
I've been fighting a bug all week; so, I didn't make the trip for the classifier today. Of course, it's 13:15 now; so, I could leave the house, make the 40 minute drive, and still get there with about 30 minutes to spare before they start shooting. :cool:

Sorry to hear about the bug, hope you get better soon. I hate to break it to you but the classifier kicked off at just after 1PM, and the match just a few minutes after. I was on the DMG squad and we finished at about 1645. I think the DMG portion has finally smoothed out, then again it's the same folks every month.

Wheeler

FotoTomas
03-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Years ago I carried a K frame revolver on duty and won a goodly number of police matches in the South GA area with them. Today I still have a S&W model 19 Combat Magnum and often shoot it in local club matches here in FL. In addition I alo carry it off duty for variety. I shoot it well and am very comfortable with it. I would feel completely happy with one for duty use.

jlw
03-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Sorry to hear about the bug, hope you get better soon. I hate to break it to you but the classifier kicked off at just after 1PM, and the match just a few minutes after. I was on the DMG squad and we finished at about 1645. I think the DMG portion has finally smoothed out, then again it's the same folks every month.

Wheeler

Glad to hear that it ran smoothly. I've never been to a match there that started on time. Last time I went they were well over an hour late getting started, and less than half of the folks finished the match.

Wheeler
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Glad to hear that it ran smoothly. I've never been to a match there that started on time. Last time I went they were well over an hour late getting started, and less than half of the folks finished the match.

The be perfectly honest, the MD wants to keep the matches at what he considers a managable level. I'm not going to criticize, because he has stepped up and runs the matches every month without fail. I think it would be great to see more ranges include IDPA, especially with the amount of indoor ranges that have opened up in the past couple of years.

I'm going to let this lie, as we've (more so I) have hijacked the thread. Cherokee will be running the classifier again next month, I hope to see you and your 586 there.

Wheeler

old frank
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I shoot SSR in IDPA about 70% of the time. It is definitely different.

The one match I shoot regularly uses a lot of pneumatic targets and you have to keep reminding yourself that you are only competing with other revolver shooters as you watch the mover cycle for the third time while you reload.:o

I did shoot the Cherokee match and it was one of the quickest ever. I think chance of rain and massive crowd the month before scared folks off.

Odin Bravo One
03-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Not IDPA......at least I don't think it is, but I plan on shooting a 627 revolver for local matches. At least, as often as I can get there to do it. It is relatively new at that venue, so we shall see how it plays out.

Wheeler
03-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I've been encouraged by the growing number of revolver shooters at matches. There seems to be more and more folks at my local IDPA match showing up with some sort of revolver and the Bowling Pin match that I shoot at has a fair number (about 1/5 the overall shooters) that show up as well.

Wheeler

robot
03-13-2011, 12:18 AM
yes!! Revolvers are fun to shoot, and takes more finesse and skill. ;)

Cowtown44
03-19-2011, 07:09 PM
What is everyone using for speed loaders pouches?

Wheeler
03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
I use something similar to this;

http://www.copquest.com/23-4329.htm

If you decide to go with one of the open top spring steel type speedloader holders, IDPA requires it have a center post to secure the speedloader.

Wheeler

Dragoon
08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
What is everyone using for speed loaders pouches?

Ready Tactical

Available at: http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

I use their holsters too.

Little Creek
08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I used to shoot IDPA. I stated the club in Brunswick, GA. When I shot SSR I used a 5" M625 with full moon clips and handloaded 125,000 power factor ammo. My goal was to not only win SSR but to be HOA. I was almost always near the top OA. Then the rules changed. I had to acquire a 4" M625. I recently tried the SL Varient speed loader. They are available at bobmacs.com. I like the SL varient much better than the HKS. The SL Varient will acomadate 44 mag., 45 AR, 45 Colt, & 454 Casull. I believe that when loaded with round nose bullets in 45AR, SL Varient makes a winning combination in IDPA SSR. Of course one would have to handload down near the current power factor of 105,000. For ESR one could use the same revolver with full moon clips loaded with 165,000 power factor 45 ACP ammunition.

David Armstrong
08-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I've used revolvers at IDPA matches and IPSC matches in the past and had a great time. I also found it interesting to show up at assorted training seminars with a revolver just to see how it worked out with the autoloaders. FWIW, revolver fans should check out ICORE at www.icore.org

NickA
08-24-2011, 01:03 PM
There's a Master class revo guy at my local matches and it's stunning how fast he is. Many times he's the high overall or close to it (I don't think we have very many MA or EX class shooters, but still).
Also noticed that where it used to be him and maybe one other guy this week there were 5 or 6 in ESR.

Wheeler
08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
There's a Master class revo guy at my local matches and it's stunning how fast he is. Many times he's the high overall or close to it (I don't think we have very many MA or EX class shooters, but still).
Also noticed that where it used to be him and maybe one other guy this week there were 5 or 6 in ESR.

I find it interesting enough to note that I can accurately shoot a revolver faster than a semi-auto (in my limited experience that includes Sigs, Glocks, 1911's, Baby Eagles, Hi Powers and my current "toy" a Browning BDM. I can manage recoil better, transition target to target better, and stage the trigger better. I would chalk a lot of that up to shooting revolvers all the time, with the exception of recoil management. Then again, perhaps it's my perception of recoil management...