PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon AccuPower vs. Trijicon AccuPoint

spinmove_
03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I'm starting to save up for the "next cool whiz-bang thing" and want to get an optic for my AR-15. I currently just have a Magpul BUIS rear with a fixed A2 front sight post. My uses are going to be home defense and hunting (because apparently there are plenty of people who have been successful in taking white tail deer with 5.56). After doing some initial searching around, my original conclusion was go to with an Aimpoint PRO (best bang for the buck and bomb-proof red dot). Now, after doing some searching around, and taking the hunting aspect into consideration, I'm wondering if going with a good and solid 1-4x scope wouldn't be a bad option. This lead me to research what was out there for stuff like this.

From what I've found thus far, the following two items have peaked my interest the most:

http://www.amazon.com/Accupoint-1-4-24-Triangle-RifleScope/dp/B0037VXOSE (red reticle)
http://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-RS24-AccuPower-1-4x24-Riflescope/dp/B00XXDQV7M (55gr BDC red reticle)

I'm looking for something that can fill the role of acting like a red dot under 1x for up close to 200 yd shots, but also give me the option to dial up magnification if I have the opportunity to take my time on extended shots. It also sounds like a scope is going to be better at light gathering than a red dot will be, so this would help in hunting applications as well.

I realize that optimally I would have 1 rifle for home defense and 1 rifle for hunting. As I'm a very inexperienced hunter at this point (I honestly have 0 experience, I just need something that'll let me test it out to see if I like doing it) I don't see the point in dropping the coin on a specialized rifle just for that purpose. Now if I do end up liking it, then I'll look into building something out that is specifically for that purpose.

It seems the AccuPoint really only has the following two cons:

1.) Standing in the dark and aiming in a bright spot, you get a black reticle
2.) The line underneath the red triangle could be troublesome on distance shots, but then you can dial your elevation turret up to compensate for that

The AccuPower seems to have the following cons:

1.) Lit reticle is not very bright in some very bright conditions
2.) Battery life isn't all that fantastic

My main question is, which one would be the better option? Or should I forget about these and just look into going the Aimpoint + magnifier route?

ASH556
03-03-2016, 08:19 PM
I'm starting to save up for the "next cool whiz-bang thing" and want to get an optic for my AR-15. I currently just have a Magpul BUIS rear with a fixed A2 front sight post. My uses are going to be home defense and hunting (because apparently there are plenty of people who have been successful in taking white tail deer with 5.56). After doing some initial searching around, my original conclusion was go to with an Aimpoint PRO (best bang for the buck and bomb-proof red dot). Now, after doing some searching around, and taking the hunting aspect into consideration, I'm wondering if going with a good and solid 1-4x scope wouldn't be a bad option. This lead me to research what was out there for stuff like this.

From what I've found thus far, the following two items have peaked my interest the most:

http://www.amazon.com/Accupoint-1-4-24-Triangle-RifleScope/dp/B0037VXOSE (red reticle)
http://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-RS24-AccuPower-1-4x24-Riflescope/dp/B00XXDQV7M (55gr BDC red reticle)

I'm looking for something that can fill the role of acting like a red dot under 1x for up close to 200 yd shots, but also give me the option to dial up magnification if I have the opportunity to take my time on extended shots. It also sounds like a scope is going to be better at light gathering than a red dot will be, so this would help in hunting applications as well.

I realize that optimally I would have 1 rifle for home defense and 1 rifle for hunting. As I'm a very inexperienced hunter at this point (I honestly have 0 experience, I just need something that'll let me test it out to see if I like doing it) I don't see the point in dropping the coin on a specialized rifle just for that purpose. Now if I do end up liking it, then I'll look into building something out that is specifically for that purpose.

It seems the AccuPoint really only has the following two cons:

1.) Standing in the dark and aiming in a bright spot, you get a black reticle
2.) The line underneath the red triangle could be troublesome on distance shots, but then you can dial your elevation turret up to compensate for that

The AccuPower seems to have the following cons:

1.) Lit reticle is not very bright in some very bright conditions
2.) Battery life isn't all that fantastic

My main question is, which one would be the better option? Or should I forget about these and just look into going the Aimpoint + magnifier route?

We had a thread here where I posted some reticle pics and reviews on the Accupower. It's head and shoulders better than the Accupoint in terms of reticle usefulness and flatness of image at 1X. The only pro of the Accupoint is the fiber optic daytime illumination. Not at all a big deal in hunting applications or home defense. As far as dot vs 1-4, it depends on the terrain you'll be hunting and how far your shots will be. Here in Georgia, 100 yds is rare unless you get a big field or powerline, so a red dot works fine. The red dot wins speed anything inside 100 yds. Once you get past that, magnification helps.

PS, forget about the magnifier thing. Truly the worst of both worlds and expensive to boot.

StraitR
03-03-2016, 08:22 PM
I've been using a Accupoint TR24r for the last four years and have done the Micro T-1 + magnifier thing, so here are my random thoughts and opinions based on my use.

- TR24 Accupoint with triangle reticle - True 1x. Fantastic FOV. Excellent glass (for the $$$). The triangle is all but useless for ranging (4.2moa at 4x), if that's a requirement. Elevation holdovers at distance are next to impossible due to the bold lines that house the FO being so thick (see attached pics for example of holdovers with 200m zero). No holdovers for wind, if that's a requirement. Tracking has been excellent from what little bit I've done, but clicks are somewhat light and wouldn't be easy to do at speed. The shooting from dark into light is a non-issue for me, as the target is illuminated and the all black triangle is super easy to pick up. Something not often brought up, when shooting in a dark space at something else in a dark space but the backdrop is bright, the dark triangle is easy to lose on a dark target. IMO, the Accupoint with triangle reticle works more like a red dot that can be magnified for PID than any other LPV due to the true 1x plus big glowing triangle. I personally prefer a LPV and for a general purpose carbine with primary mission is CQB to 300m, I think the Accupoint shines.

- RDS + 3X magnifier - I see a big comma when I used an Aimpoint 3x behind my T-1. That's why I got rid of the magnifier and bought the Accupoint. I have a T-2 now and heard it was better, but I'm not interested in trying. That said, I think there is something to be said for the weight savings. If all someone needs is some random and temporary magnification for PID, then it works well. RDS and micros in particular have poor FOV (I could be spoiled) No ranging. No holdovers. Light transmission is poor compared to LPV and stuck at 3x would be the biggest negatives.

No experience with the Accupower, but they've introduced some reticles with ranging/holdovers options for those looking to shoot at distance. That said, I can see those reticles giving up a little speed at 0-50m compared to Accupoint and RDS.

Apologize for any grammar issues, no time to proofread.

Unobtanium
03-04-2016, 06:09 AM
I took my first deer using a comp m4s. That said, I love my nf 1-4 so much I bought a kahles k16i.

Gray222
03-04-2016, 07:24 AM
I am a fan of the accupower. The glass is clear and it seems to work fairly well without hiccups.

I have the green milsquare version and while its a cool idea the milsquare doesnt do anything cool or spectacular.

spinmove_
03-04-2016, 07:53 AM
I am a fan of the accupower. The glass is clear and it seems to work fairly well without hiccups.

I have the green milsquare version and while its a cool idea the milsquare doesnt do anything cool or spectacular.

How is the battery life on it? What brightness setting do you typically go with? I know CR2032s are super easy to come by and stack deep. I'm just wondering how often I'm going to be swapping that bad devil out.

I'm kind of digging on that red BDC reticle because the dot and the 4 sectioned circle just generally seems more pleasing to me.

spinmove_
03-04-2016, 07:58 AM
We had a thread here where I posted some reticle pics and reviews on the Accupower. It's head and shoulders better than the Accupoint in terms of reticle usefulness and flatness of image at 1X. The only pro of the Accupoint is the fiber optic daytime illumination. Not at all a big deal in hunting applications or home defense. As far as dot vs 1-4, it depends on the terrain you'll be hunting and how far your shots will be. Here in Georgia, 100 yds is rare unless you get a big field or powerline, so a red dot works fine. The red dot wins speed anything inside 100 yds. Once you get past that, magnification helps.

PS, forget about the magnifier thing. Truly the worst of both worlds and expensive to boot.

Noted on the magnifier. I'll put that option right out of my head then, and that generally seems to be the consensus from what I've seen around here too. Seems like a lot of floppy bulk for not a lot of benefit.

The terrain I'd most likely be hunting is mostly open, slightly hilly, and ranges of 200yds or better would be a fairly common occurrence.

Gray222
03-04-2016, 08:08 AM
How is the battery life on it? What brightness setting do you typically go with? I know CR2032s are super easy to come by and stack deep. I'm just wondering how often I'm going to be swapping that bad devil out.

I'm kind of digging on that red BDC reticle because the dot and the 4 sectioned circle just generally seems more pleasing to me.

I have not changed the battery since I bought it, no issues.
I normally keep it on highest setting or off.

spinmove_
03-04-2016, 08:12 AM
I have not changed the battery since I bought it, no issues.
I normally keep it on highest setting or off.

How quick is it to flip it on? Necessary to have it on 24/7?

SteveB
03-04-2016, 08:53 AM
I have two Trijicon dual illumination scopes with dead tritium elements, both less than 10 years old. The ACOG is marked 2010, not sure about the Accupoint. The Accupoint is a lightweight 1-4X, German #4 green dot, a very good daytime scope. Couple months ago I sent it back to Trijicon for repair/replacement of the tritium. I was prepared to pay for the replacement, if necessary. They sent it back to me after about a month with a printout stating the problem, but nothing was done. Their battery products might be great, but I'd stay away from their tritium scopes. It's one thing to replace pistol sights when the tritium goes, but these scopes are spendy.

spinmove_
03-05-2016, 11:24 AM
I ran across another option this morning while screwing around: https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-1-25-4x20mm-30mm/

Does anyone have any experience with that little beauty?

Gray222
03-05-2016, 11:45 AM
I ran across another option this morning while screwing around: https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-1-25-4x20mm-30mm/

Does anyone have any experience with that little beauty?

I'll just leave this here....

http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/10/leupold-vx-r-patrol-125-4x20-firedot-on.html

Gray222
03-05-2016, 11:46 AM
How quick is it to flip it on? Necessary to have it on 24/7?

Not difficult its just a knob. No its not necessary.

spinmove_
03-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Nice write up. So it sounds like, while you like the VX-R and it would probably work for my applications, I might be better off with the AccuPower?

Gray222
03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Nice write up. So it sounds like, while you like the VX-R and it would probably work for my applications, I might be better off with the AccuPower?

It depends on what you want out of an optic, there are multiple levels of this as everyone's requirements are different.

spinmove_
03-07-2016, 03:27 PM

I hate to be nit picky on this, but did you ever get to play with the auto-sleep feature after that writing? I'm curious to know if its a viable option to use on a HD rifle or if its a cheesy feature.

Gray222
03-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I hate to be nit picky on this, but did you ever get to play with the auto-sleep feature after that writing? I'm curious to know if its a viable option to use on a HD rifle or if its a cheesy feature.

I sold the optic after that review. I remember leaving it on once at the range for the whole day and leaving it sit during lunch (30-45 min?) and it turned off. I turned it back on and that was that.

The auto-off or constant-on that people get into is really just rhetoric in my opinion. How hard is it to turn a knob forward or push a button, even when you hear a "bump in the night?"

spinmove_
03-07-2016, 03:58 PM
I sold the optic after that review. I remember leaving it on once at the range for the whole day and leaving it sit during lunch (30-45 min?) and it turned off. I turned it back on and that was that.

The auto-off or constant-on that people get into is really just rhetoric in my opinion. How hard is it to turn a knob forward or push a button, even when you hear a "bump in the night?"

I agree, it doesn't strike me as hard or difficult. I guess I'm just curious about "if it does shut off automatically, will it ever do it while I'm using the rifle" or "does the reticle resume illumination like its supposed to when I pick the rifle up". I guessing the answers are "no" and "yes", respectively, but for the amount of money I would be shelling out for said optics, it would be good to know beforehand.

Given the relative price difference between those 2 particular optics, I'm almost leaning towards giving the AccuPower RS24 the nod. Useful reticle, illumination should be sufficient, illumination knob is straight-forward and quick, the thing is practically bomb proof, battery life is good, magnification should be more than sufficient for my needs, eye-box sounds like its rather generous, and I can still get a tough as nails quick-detach mount for it.

Gray222
03-07-2016, 04:04 PM
I agree, it doesn't strike me as hard or difficult. I guess I'm just curious about "if it does shut off automatically, will it ever do it while I'm using the rifle" or "does the reticle resume illumination like its supposed to when I pick the rifle up". I guessing the answers are "no" and "yes", respectively, but for the amount of money I would be shelling out for said optics, it would be good to know beforehand.

Given the relative price difference between those 2 particular optics, I'm almost leaning towards giving the AccuPower RS24 the nod. Useful reticle, illumination should be sufficient, illumination knob is straight-forward and quick, the thing is practically bomb proof, battery life is good, magnification should be more than sufficient for my needs, eye-box sounds like its rather generous, and I can still get a tough as nails quick-detach mount for it.

Trijicon makes good products, difficult to compare anything in the same price level against what they currently offer.

Get a Bobro mount (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_il_tl?&keywords=bobro%2030mm) or one of those new Geissele mounts (if you want to spend 1/2 the price of the optic....)

spinmove_
03-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Trijicon makes good products, difficult to compare anything in the same price level against what they currently offer.

Get a Bobro mount (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_il_tl?&keywords=bobro%2030mm) or one of those new Geissele mounts (if you want to spend 1/2 the price of the optic....)

Yeah, I was thinking about snagging one of those listed or a similar mount from Midwest Industries.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2491

Gray222
03-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about snagging one of those listed or a similar mount from Midwest Industries.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2491

mehhh....bobro.....do it

spinmove_
03-07-2016, 07:16 PM
That Amazon link didn't show any Bobro mounts, btw. It did show one from ADM and one from LaRue.

joshs
03-07-2016, 07:23 PM
That Amazon link didn't show any Bobro mounts, btw. It did show one from ADM and one from LaRue.

The SWFA branded Bobro is the best deal I've seen for a Bobro: http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P56617.aspx

Gray222
03-07-2016, 07:45 PM

stupid amazon doing stupid things....

https://www.bobroengineering.com/ - do it.

spinmove_
03-08-2016, 10:25 PM
stupid amazon doing stupid things....

https://www.bobroengineering.com/ - do it.

They're that much better than the other similar mounts, eh?

Gray222
03-09-2016, 09:59 AM
They're that much better than the other similar mounts, eh?

Yes

spinmove_
03-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Yes

Not that I don't believe you, but what makes them better? For the price that I'd be paying I would hope they'd be the cream of the crop.

StraitR
03-09-2016, 11:52 AM

It works as advertised on my VX-R 3-9.

Gray222
03-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Not that I don't believe you, but what makes them better? For the price that I'd be paying I would hope they'd be the cream of the crop.

They are, bobro makes the best mounts out there.

Easy to install, always keeps a zero, easy and functional qd system. Buy one you wont regret it.

Clay1
05-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I know that this one is a little older but want to ask about the relatively new accupoint 1-6. Anyone try one of these it's between this and a Lepold VX6 1-6 with the multi-gun reticle? If you did go with the Trijicon which reticle for 3-gun? Thanks
I

StraitR
05-20-2016, 12:59 PM
I know that this one is a little older but want to ask about the relatively new accupoint 1-6. Anyone try one of these it's between this and a Lepold VX6 1-6 with the multi-gun reticle? If you did go with the Trijicon which reticle for 3-gun? Thanks
I

I have a 1-4 TR24r triangle Accupoint and like it for what it is. A good friend of mine who also has a TR24 just picked up the new 1-6 with MOA-Dot not too long ago. He shoots pigs, not 3-gun. I looked through it. It's nice, no doubt, but I'm still not a fan of their reticles. Plain mil-dot or a plain moa-dot. Both of those reticles lend themselves to dialing or holding in between dots, but the TR25 has capped turrets. :confused:

Download Strelok for your phone (free for both android and apple) and play with the TR25 reticles based on your desired loadings. The holdovers are useless. You'll see what I mean.

ETA: I took some SS's from Strelok. There are a lot of variables, but this is a 16" barrel with 100m zero, 75' elevation, 86 degrees, and 85% humidity (Florida). Meant to change distances to metric for MIL reticle, but forgot.

MOA reticle - 55gr

MOA reticle - 77gr

MIL reticle - 55gr

MIL reticle - 77gr

ASH556
05-20-2016, 02:15 PM
I

I've played with both of these and my opinion is that neither is a good choice.
Accupower 1-4<Vortex Razor 1-6<Khales.

Pick based on your budget.

Clay1
05-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the screen shots Craig. While I hear that Taran Butler is using the 1-6, I also hear he uses the triangle post to good effect. I'm no Taran Butler though.
Maybe if I can make hits to 300 yards with a 2 moa RDS, I don't think that a 1-4 Accupower would be a poor choice for 3gun 5/600 yard optic?
I do like the segmented circle reticle on the Accupower. If not Trijicon then the Leupold VX6 with the new Fire dot multigun.

Clay1
05-20-2016, 02:42 PM
I've played with both of these and my opinion is that neither is a good choice.
Accupower 1-4<Vortex Razor 1-6<Khales.

Pick based on your budget.

Thanks Ash, what specifically did you not like about the VX6? Funny thing is I'm visiting Vortex today. While the HD is nice it's just a little more stretch for me than I would like. I think that I can almost buy an accupoint plus a m3k shotgun for the price of the Vortex HD, but I will look at one within an hour or so.

spinmove_
05-20-2016, 02:56 PM
I have a 1-4 TR24r triangle Accupoint and like it for what it is. A good friend of mine who also has a TR24 just picked up the new 1-6 with MOA-Dot not too long ago. He shoots pigs, not 3-gun. I looked through it. It's nice, no doubt, but I'm still not a fan of their reticles. Plain mil-dot or a plain moa-dot. Both of those reticles lend themselves to dialing or holding in between dots, but the TR25 has capped turrets. :confused:

Download Strelok for your phone (free for both android and apple) and play with the TR25 reticles based on your desired loadings. The holdovers are useless. You'll see what I mean.

ETA: I took some SS's from Strelok. There are a lot of variables, but this is a 16" barrel with 100m zero, 75' elevation, 86 degrees, and 85% humidity (Florida). Meant to change distances to metric for MIL reticle, but forgot.

MOA reticle - 55gr

MOA reticle - 77gr

MIL reticle - 55gr

MIL reticle - 77gr

That looks pretty sweet, but it's no longer free for iOS. Is there anything similar out there?

Clay1
05-20-2016, 05:57 PM
My one hour apt went 2 hrs and 45 minutes and Vortex closed at 4 for the day - serious downer. :(

Like I said though, the Razor HD Gen II is just a little more than I wanted to spend anyhow, so maybe it was good that I didn't look through it and Have to Have it.

StraitR
05-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the screen shots Craig. While I hear that Taran Butler is using the 1-6, I also hear he uses the triangle post to good effect. I'm no Taran Butler though.
Maybe if I can make hits to 300 yards with a 2 moa RDS, I don't think that a 1-4 Accupower would be a poor choice for 3gun 5/600 yard optic?
I do like the segmented circle reticle on the Accupower. If not Trijicon then the Leupold VX6 with the new Fire dot multigun.

Keep in mind I don't shoot 3-gun, but if I were buying a LPV under a $1000 right now, it would be the 1-4 Accupower. (probably segmented circle - BDC)

There's a few people on this board that really like theirs. There's THIS (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16336-Accupower-1-4) thread with positive reviews and reticle pics. The 1-4 and 1-6 LPV Discussion (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16285-1-4-and-1-6-optics-discussion) thread also has some info on them. MAYBE one day VooDoo_Man will actually do the review on his. Slacker.

That looks pretty sweet, but it's no longer free for iOS. Is there anything similar out there?

My apologies, I did pay the $11.99 price for it. I've bought three apps in the last 10 years, one of which was an accident, but Strelok is well worth the money. The pictures on iTunes doesn't even scratch the surface. Bullets, factory cartridges, and reticle database is extensiv, and the developer updates it constantly.

My one hour apt went 2 hrs and 45 minutes and Vortex closed at 4 for the day - serious downer. :(

Like I said though, the Razor HD Gen II is just a little more than I wanted to spend anyhow, so maybe it was good that I didn't look through it and Have to Have it.

That's a bummer. I was really close to buying a Razor 1-6, but the cost and weight didn't really make sense for what I generally use my carbine for. Lot's of favorable reviews by 3-gunners though, and I can see why it would excel in that capacity. Weight seems to be the only constant complaint, but everyone's opinion on weight is different.

ASH556
05-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks Ash, what specifically did you not like about the VX6? Funny thing is I'm visiting Vortex today. While the HD is nice it's just a little more stretch for me than I would like. I think that I can almost buy an accupoint plus a m3k shotgun for the price of the Vortex HD, but I will look at one within an hour or so.

Sorry, I missed the Firedot BDC part. I didn't realize Leupold had a new reticle out. The ones I've messed with were the SPR (mil increments that large are useless as pointed out above) and the CMR2, which I found small and poorly illuminated. The Firedot BDC looks pretty much like the vortex in pics. That said, the last match I shot with Romero (end of April) he was checking out my Accupower, said he had a couple since they picked up Trijicon as a sponsor and if he was going to give us his Kahles, the Accupower would be his next choice. Take that for what it's worth, at least in regards to thr Accupoint 1-6.

xmanhockey7
05-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Red dots aren't really faster compared to magnified optics. Just sayin...

https://youtu.be/nJEKbHPLseY

Clay1
05-21-2016, 11:12 AM
One more push guys, red or green segmented circle on the RS24 and why? I've only used red for a color on a RDS and have been pleased but I thought that I read somewhere that the human eye picks up green better. Is the battery life on both units the same? I know a green laser eats up more power than a read one, just diode design at this point. Just asking the question here on the LPV, since I don't know, what I don't know.

spinmove_
05-21-2016, 01:28 PM
One more push guys, red or green segmented circle on the RS24 and why? I've only used red for a color on a RDS and have been pleased but I thought that I read somewhere that the human eye picks up green better. Is the battery life on both units the same? I know a green laser eats up more power than a read one, just diode design at this point. Just asking the question here on the LPV, since I don't know, what I don't know.

I have no idea on battery life, but I can tell you that which one is better will boil down to preference and how your eyes physically work. Some people pick up green better than red. Others (like myself) find that they can pick up red better than green. Personally I would go with red as I find that I can pick that color up faster across a broader range of backgrounds and lighting conditions.

Also, keep in mind that an illuminated etched reticle will not stand out nearly as brightly as a red dot at equal power levels. The illumination of that reticle might wash out in brighter light, but you'll still have a very fine blacked out reticle to work with. Should you encounter something that is darker while out in brighter conditions, that illumination will take over and stand out for you.

ASH556
05-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Pretty much this^^^^^. I went red because, while not as bright as green, it doesn't wash out as easily as green either.

Clay1
05-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys good to know. :cool:

Josh Runkle
05-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Red dots aren't really faster compared to magnified optics. Just sayin...

https://youtu.be/nJEKbHPLseY

My subjective experience is that my red dots (which I position far forward) are very fast on target compared to a magnified optic which is just a hair slower, but still also very fast.

StraitR
05-21-2016, 09:02 PM
My subjective experience is that my red dots (which I position far forward) are very fast on target compared to a magnified optic which is just a hair slower, but still also very fast.

Too many variables, shooter skill being the biggest. One person cannot state "LPV's are just as fast as RDS" like it applies to everyone across the board, all the time.

The guys in that video only proved that shooting stagnant, offhand at XX yards on a target that's not moving is just as fast for them using those two particular optics in those particular conditions. Nothing more.

Josh Runkle
05-21-2016, 11:47 PM
Too many variables, shooter skill being the biggest. One person cannot state "LPV's are just as fast as RDS" like it applies to everyone across the board, all the time.

The guys in that video only proved that shooting stagnant, offhand at XX yards on a target that's not moving is just as fast for them using those two particular optics in those particular conditions. Nothing more.

Agreed...hence why I started with, "My subjective experience is..."

StraitR
05-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Agreed...hence why I started with, "My subjective experience is..."

Josh, I meant to start that post with "Agreed..." as well. We're on the same page here.

TheRoland
05-22-2016, 04:33 PM
In the video, they say they're at 7 yards, which seems a little ridiculous. Hitting a full-sized unobstructed target at 7 yards with a rifle, I'm not sure how much the sights make any difference at all. You could probably go just as fast with your eyes closed.

spinmove_
05-22-2016, 06:08 PM
In the video, they say they're at 7 yards, which seems a little ridiculous. Hitting a full-sized unobstructed target at 7 yards with a rifle, I'm not sure how much the sights make any difference at all. You could probably go just as fast with your eyes closed.

That does strike me as not a good test. I think this video is probably a better reference for RDS vs. LPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YnaP8c-bSQ