PDA

View Full Version : CC Clothing

JustDave
10-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Hello folks,
I'm new to the forum but I think this is the right location for this question. I've done some searches on the forum too but didn't find anything on this topic, but forgive me if this is a repeat thread.

I should be getting my CC permit here in a few weeks and myself and a buddy of mine who went through the class were wondering about the clothing that's specifically designed for CC. There seem to be some shirts and pants out there that look normal but are geared for CC. Has anyone tried any of that, and if so, did it seem any better than normal street clothes?

Thanks,
JustDave

ToddG
10-13-2011, 09:50 AM
FWIW, I find most of that stuff gimmicky. I wear plain ole jeans and plain ole polos.

JConn
10-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Unless you like your clothes really tight, your everyday clothing should be fine.

MDS
10-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm a relative noob with similar questions, and I've been sampling various CC-specific clothes. I haven't gotten a lot of value out of the stuff I've tried. Like JConn said, most normal clothes should work - if you have a good belt and holster. I do find that I can tear the bottom button of a button-down shirt during dry practice. I have a few pearl-snap shirts that just pop open when I yank them up and that seems like a nice feature. But the purpose-designed shirts with the magnetic bottom button are a PITA - they're great during dry practice but they stick to everything metal (including my fly and belt buckle) during daily wear. Like Todd said: gimmicky...

JV_
10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I do find that I can tear the bottom button of a button-down shirt during dry practice.

I leave the bottom one unbuttoned.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

Zhurdan
10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Not that it matters now that they are out of business, but EOTAC made some great shirts with velcro tear away points at the bottom button and on the seams left and right, to aide in clearing the garment. I bought 12 in four different colors when they were still in business. Nice shirts, but clearing the gun is still an exaggerated movement so as to not get a handful of cloth over the gun.

They are a bit gimmicky, but it actually works as intended. Price wasn't that much more than the normal button up shirts I was buying prior, so I'd say I didn't really "pay" any more for the gimmick, so it was a wash for me.

Either way, whatever you are wearing, practice with what you wear and be absolutely sure you can clear it quickly, every time.

JV_
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
they are out of business, but EOTACWhich shouldn't be surprising.

fuse
10-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Which shouldn't be surprising.

Epic burn

Zhurdan
10-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Epic burn

Didn't know it was a contest. Sorry.

Is there more to the story regarding EOTAC or is it just a general distaste for their product? Genuinely curious.

Did they have some scandalous business practices or something? If so, I'd never heard about it.

JV_
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Did they have some scandalous business practices or something? If so, I'd never heard about it.

Swindler gets probation, must repay $328,000
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/poughkeepsiejournal/access/1823721391.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jul+26%2C+2003&author=Larry+Fisher-Hertz&pub=The+Poughkeepsie+Journal&edition=&startpage=B.2&desc=Swindler+gets+probation%2C+must+repay+%24328% 2C000

Zhurdan
10-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Wow... thanks for the info. Had no idea. Sorry for the derail.

mscott327
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Here is a link to an earlier thread about clothing that forum member wear daily.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1897-EDC-meets-EDW...

TAZ
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Jeans or cargo shirts generally one size bigger on the waist than normal to make IWB more comfy. Slacks on the rare occasion are the same, just use a leather belt instead of the Wilderness Instructors. Up top; 95% of the time I wear square bottomed button down shirts with the last button unbuttoned. The other 5% it's a tshirt or loose fitting polo.

I have used the 511 covert shirts and do like the snaps under the buttons for easier access, but I wouldn't go out of the way to get some. The $10 Chinamart shirts work as well and I won't feel bad when my grip tape tears the inside up after a few months.

IMO the only CCW specific things you will need are a good holster, mag carrier and belt. Unless you like to dress latex tight most things will work for CCW. You will be surprised what a good holster and belt combo can hide.

mscott327
10-13-2011, 06:34 PM
the only CCW specific things you will need are a good holster, mag carrier and belt. Unless you like to dress latex tight most things will work for CCW. You will be surprised what a good holster and belt combo can hide.

I couldn't agree more!

Odin Bravo One
10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
About the only place where 511, or EOTac, or the other advertised stuff really benefits is if you have to carry more than a gun and a couple of spare mags. The cut, as well as the QD features on the front and sides of the shirts make concealing and accessing things like radios, low vis armor, PDW, etc. much easier than the standard Polo or Golf shirt. Not exactly a requirement for most CCW situations.

Most of the pants from 511, EOTac, and others are not all that comfortable when compared to properly sized jeans, dockers, slacks, whatever. Good for range clothes, or activities where you don't want to ruin your normal person clothes, but that is about it for most people. They tend to add room where room didn't really need to be added. Reinforced seams where they didn't really need it. Added pockets and hiding spots that are un-necessary and nearly useless. And made the material thicker and bulkier than normal street clothes. About the only thing that makes them ok is that if you get stuck wearing them day in and day out for a number of days without a shower or laundry, you don't feel bad about throwing them in the garbage............because no one actually wears this stuff in the normal world on a regular basis. Do they?

l8apex
10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I've personally noticed that the better the holster, the more normal clothing one can wear. Or in other words, spend the money on a good quality holster and you will find that even normal fitting t-shirts will conceal - meaning what you already have. That is unless you wear tight fitting clothes.

ubervic
10-15-2011, 06:48 AM
I've personally noticed that the better the holster, the more normal clothing one can wear. Or in other words, spend the money on a good quality holster and you will find that even normal fitting t-shirts will conceal - meaning what you already have. That is unless you wear tight fitting clothes.

THIS...and a good BELT optimizes carry of the holstered pistol as a highly stable, easily concealed system.

John Hearne
10-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I tend to buy off the shelf items and tweak them for CCW. My summer carry is sleeveless t-shirt and an open front button down shirt. I'll either add stainless washers to the corners or slide cable ties behind the buttons to make sure the shirt clears. With that said, I picked up some of the EOTAC shirts on closeout and was impressed with the design.

Aray
10-15-2011, 02:21 PM
About the only place where 511, or EOTac, or the other advertised stuff really benefits is if you have to carry more than a gun and a couple of spare mags. The cut, as well as the QD features on the front and sides of the shirts make concealing and accessing things like radios, low vis armor, PDW, etc. much easier than the standard Polo or Golf shirt. Not exactly a requirement for most CCW situations.

Most of the pants from 511, EOTac, and others are not all that comfortable when compared to properly sized jeans, dockers, slacks, whatever. Good for range clothes, or activities where you don't want to ruin your normal person clothes, but that is about it for most people. They tend to add room where room didn't really need to be added. Reinforced seams where they didn't really need it. Added pockets and hiding spots that are un-necessary and nearly useless. And made the material thicker and bulkier than normal street clothes. About the only thing that makes them ok is that if you get stuck wearing them day in and day out for a number of days without a shower or laundry, you don't feel bad about throwing them in the garbage............because no one actually wears this stuff in the normal world on a regular basis. Do they?

I wear them at work for these reasons (Power Plant). Jeans don't seem to have enough pockets anymore, why do I carry all of this shit around with me again?

Odin Bravo One
10-15-2011, 03:17 PM
why do I carry all of this shit around with me again?

Heard that.

guymontag
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Unless you like your clothes really tight, your everyday clothing should be fine.

Unless you like to dress latex tight most things will work for CCW.

That is unless you wear tight fitting clothes.

This is disconcerting.

I may need to invest in a new wardrobe.

mnealtx
10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
This is disconcerting.

I may need to invest in a new wardrobe.

Repeat after me: "Spandex is a privilege, not a right!" :D

Unfortunately, I've had to 'up-size' my wardrobe over the last couple years due to, shall we say, 'equatorial expansion'. I'm working on it, but still have a ways to go.

Shellback
10-20-2011, 04:11 PM
If you want to try any of the Eotac clothing you can get a lot of it for about 50% off here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/search/eSearch.aspx?SearchTerms=eotac&eMode=

I bought one of the 1/2 zip pullovers and really like it. Sweatshirt type pullover for lounging around on cold days but beware their sizes run very large! I'm 6'3" 225lbs and a large is pretty frickin' big on me so order at least 1 size down if you decide to order.

PCraunP220
10-20-2011, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't suggest wearing "special" clothing. The purpose of CC is to have what you need when you need it. I find a lot of ppl will change what they wear to train but thats not what they wear when they carry. My advice is wear what you got, and build your carry platform and carry weapon around that. Thats just my two cents.

l8apex
10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't suggest wearing "special" clothing. The purpose of CC is to have what you need when you need it. I find a lot of ppl will change what they wear to train but thats not what they wear when they carry. My advice is wear what you got, and build your carry platform and carry weapon around that. Thats just my two cents.

^ This.

Dagga Boy
10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
I started using Duluth Trading Company clothing (especially their Firehose stuff, Polo's and workshirts) while working protective details. Most of my co-workers were 5.11 poster children and stood out like sore thumbs as "the bodyguards", so I tried a different look. I now live in the stuff and have no use for "tactical clothing".

bobdavis
10-29-2011, 06:08 PM
I heard what I wear described elsewhere as "hippiflage" or REI casual - I just blend in and don't look like anything more than a dude with a couple kids in tow. How that works in San Antonio is short sleeve button up the front shirts or polos, t-shirts, etc - nothing "gunny" though. Cargo shorts, jeans or khakis depending on work or play and the season. If it's cooler, I might wear a rugby shirt or long-sleeve t-shirt. Belts are either wilderness or beltman. Shoes are normally some sort of merrell or other casual shoe.

I find patterned shirts hide the outline of a gun better than solid, and dark is better than light. Light with some pattern works though!

Brands tend to be whatever fits me the best - right now I like Mountain Khaki pants.

One thing I've noticed is that nearly everyone here carries a knife clipped onto their pocket, so that blends right in. I do stand out if I head back east for a vacation or something.

I've been paying attention to these kinds of threads to see what works for most since I lost some weight and need new pants.

bob

Mitchell, Esq.
10-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Dockers & http://www.geoffreybeene.com/

Seriously. Yuppie-Cammo. They will NEVER think their is a handgun within 2 miles of you.

mnealtx
10-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I started using Duluth Trading Company clothing (especially their Firehose stuff, Polo's and workshirts) while working protective details. Most of my co-workers were 5.11 poster children and stood out like sore thumbs as "the bodyguards", so I tried a different look. I now live in the stuff and have no use for "tactical clothing".

I've ordered a pair of their "ballroom" jeans to check out. I looked at the shirts, but the 'bellows' looked clunky to me - how have you found them to be, in use?

Dagga Boy
10-29-2011, 08:07 PM
I've ordered a pair of their "ballroom" jeans to check out. I looked at the shirts, but the 'bellows' looked clunky to me - how have you found them to be, in use?

I kind of like the tent look as it hides both my Nuclear Reactor of Stored Energy and my pistol and support gear without issue. They also stock a lot of "Tall" stuff. I have a very long torso, so this is a huge deal for me. I also just moved from SoCal to Texas, and have another house in Arizona, so the bellows are great to stay a little cooler.

mnealtx
10-29-2011, 09:51 PM
I kind of like the tent look as it hides both my Nuclear Reactor of Stored Energy and my pistol and support gear without issue. They also stock a lot of "Tall" stuff. I have a very long torso, so this is a huge deal for me. I also just moved from SoCal to Texas, and have another house in Arizona, so the bellows are great to stay a little cooler.

I appreciate the info - just looked like the first time you reach forward, you end up with the Bat-Cape for the rest of the day... ;)

Dagga Boy
10-30-2011, 04:13 PM
I appreciate the info - just looked like the first time you reach forward, you end up with the Bat-Cape for the rest of the day... ;)

Spent everyday in these for over a year on a high end celebrity detail, and didn't do the Bat Cap once:cool:. The nice thing is they are cut to be worn un-tucked and not look terrible. I carried a HK45C, two spare 10 rounders, a Strider DB all concealed in Raven kydex all OWB without ever having an issue in a very sensitive environment. The stuff also wears like iron.

G60
10-30-2011, 07:28 PM
While you wait for your permit, carry around your home (not just a few minutes here and there, carry as much as possible) and see what works and what doesn't.

You will probably find you'll need to make little modification to your current wardrobe, besides perhaps pants size if you'll be carrying IWB.

mnealtx
11-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Spent everyday in these for over a year on a high end celebrity detail, and didn't do the Bat Cap once:cool:. The nice thing is they are cut to be worn un-tucked and not look terrible. I carried a HK45C, two spare 10 rounders, a Strider DB all concealed in Raven kydex all OWB without ever having an issue in a very sensitive environment. The stuff also wears like iron.

I'm guessing you're talking about their polo shirts, since you mention untucked?

Dagga Boy
11-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about their polo shirts, since you mention untucked?

I have and wore the Polo's on occasion, but the ones below are what I lived in along with the Firehouse Work Pants:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-shirts/mens-button-up-shirts/81007.aspx

I topped these with a Firehouse Shirt Jac or a Firehose Chore Coat if the weather was cold (the Malibu version of cold, not the kind with snow).

mnealtx
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I have and wore the Polo's on occasion, but the ones below are what I lived in along with the Firehouse Work Pants:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-shirts/mens-button-up-shirts/81007.aspx

I topped these with a Firehouse Shirt Jac or a Firehose Chore Coat if the weather was cold (the Malibu version of cold, not the kind with snow).

We're getting into the 'kind with snow' cold over here, so I'll wait a few months before I get one to check out...thanks for the info.

Dagga Boy
11-02-2011, 06:47 AM
We're getting into the 'kind with snow' cold over here, so I'll wait a few months before I get one to check out...thanks for the info.

They are based out of Belleville, WI., so they make lots of great stuff for that snow kind of cold as well:cool:.