PDA

View Full Version : P30 sights help

YVK
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
My P30 shoots low and slightly left, about 3 inches down and 2 out at 25 yards. I need a front sight that is lower than mine (factory tritium) and I need a rear sight pusher (other than punch and hammer option). Using a crappy micrometer, the front sight comes to about 0.170, maybe .180. Does anybody have any leads on these two items?

GJM
10-12-2011, 10:22 PM
My P30 shoots low and slightly left, about 3 inches down and 2 out at 25 yards. I need a front sight that is lower than mine (factory tritium) and I need a rear sight pusher (other than punch and hammer option). Using a crappy micrometer, the front sight comes to about 0.170, maybe .180. Does anybody have any leads on these two items?

I would replace the factory sights with Heinie, Dawson (they offer fiber optic, plain or tritium and whatever front height you want) or wait for 10-8 sights which are in development. Alternatively, you can get HK to send you a shorter front sight, and have Tool Tech insert a tritium vial in the factory front sight and paint the rear two white dots black. I routinely need to make a small right rear sight deflection on most every handgun and just give the sight a tap with a hammer and brass punch.

YVK
10-12-2011, 10:44 PM
G., thanks. Dawson option seems to be out, as their front sight is 0.170 - which the same as mine. Heinie would be a whole new setup as they don't sell front ones alone. I don't remember for sure, but I think I've read reports that Heinies also shoot low on P30. Getting a lower factory sight could be an option; I wonder if they have lower heights.

GJM
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
My 9mm P30 with Heinie sights shoots high, not low, which motivated me to order Dawson sights with a taller than standard front sight ( .180 as I recall).

LOKNLOD
10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I don't remember for sure, but I think I've read reports that Heinies also shoot low on P30.

A lone data point for you -- My P30 w/ Hienies shoots a little low (align the dot instead of top edge of sight) at very close range and then at 7-ish yards it shoots to POA at the top edge of the sight out to distances further than I would be willing to attribute any variations to the sights rather than myself (accuracy at distance with pistols is a major "needs improvement" area for me).

JV_
10-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Inside of 10Y, I used the "drive the dot" hold.
For anything past 10Y, it was a center hold.

GJM
10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
This just reinforces that pistols vary, and the way people see sights varies. That is why I am delighted Dawson will make sights to the height you specify, and hopefully 10-8 will offer front sights in different heights, just as they do for Glock pistols. That is a frustration I have with Heinie sights -- one front height only.

YVK
10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
JV - I know many said that, but I can't figure how this is possible, unless the dot is small and is very close to the tip. 9mm goes nearly flat between 7 and 25 yards. If there is appreciable distance between center of the dot and tip of the sight, I can't imagine that there would that much trajectory change between 7 and 25 to use those two spots as distinct aiming points. In my case, the dot is right in the middle of front sight's blade. To use the dot for 10 and tip for 25, I would have to believe that there is POI drop over this distance to account for half of front sight's height.

Aside from theoretical part, the targets say it is a no go. I get POA hits using dot at 7 yards and 25 yards, and 3 inch low hits using tip at 25. Problem is that the dot covers almost all of bullseye target at 25.

GJM - does one need to contact Dawson to request a custom height? In tritium, I only see 0.170 option,

JV_
10-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I can't figure how this is possible, unless the dot is small and is very close to the tip.

http://www.heinie.com/images/3950.JPG

YVK
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I see what you did there. Cool.

Anybody has any leads on rear side pusher? I really prefer controllable sight drift vs. hammering it away.

JV_
10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I really prefer controllable sight drift vs. hammering it away.FWIW: My P30 rear sight was loose, it was held in by the 2 set screws and the red loctite, it was drifted in by hand. I put almost 5K though my gun and it never budged.

JohnN
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
This just reinforces that pistols vary, and the way people see sights varies. That is why I am delighted Dawson will make sights to the height you specify, and hopefully 10-8 will offer front sights in different heights, just as they do for Glock pistols. That is a frustration I have with Heinie sights -- one front height only.

Unfortunately, the email I received from 10-8 Performance led me to believe they are only going to make the rear sight to use the existing stock front. They may change their mind depending on sales volume. Maybe we can talk Dawson into making more front sight heights available.

JM Campbell
10-13-2011, 08:25 PM
IIRC on hkpro it was said that there are different hights available on the Dawsons, just have to call and request if I'm remembering

GJM
10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I just called Dawson and ordered the special height front sight. There was a modest upcharge for the special order.

JohnN
10-14-2011, 07:52 AM
I just called Dawson and ordered the special height front sight. There was a modest upcharge for the special order.

Will they make any height you want then?

Upcharge amount?

Sent using Tapatalk

JM Campbell
10-14-2011, 08:00 AM
On the Dawson rear which is flat and no tritium tubes, it slid right on by hand and is held in place by a set screw and lock tight.

I have yet to have it come loose.

For me it has been POA/POI out to 15yds

GJM
10-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Dawson provides a guarantee, if you order their stock height sights, that if your pistol isn't regulated properly, they will give you a replacement front sight for free. If you specify a different height, you lose that protection. I ordered stock height sights (tritium front, black rear) for a 45C, and they were regulated. I also ordered a taller FO front sight, .180, for my P30, and that works for my eyes and pistol. I am guessing from memory since it has been a few months, but I think the upcharge was about $20.

JM Campbell
10-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Even with the up charge that puts it at about $105 and that is a heck of a lot cheaper to mix and match then other options on the market.

Hell how many sights do people buy to find the right ones on a Glock or M&P?

Just saying that this might be a "cheaper" more viable way to find what will work best for each shooter.

JohnN
10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I am currently using the stock rear sight (dots painted over) with a Dawson .115 fiber optic front Painted florescent orange and am pretty happy with the sight picture. Would love to try their .140 rear, wonder if they would mill the front of the sight down to make a slide cocking shelf? Use a 10-8 .140 rear with a Warren .115 front F.O. on a G19 and like that combination best.

Or I can just wait for the 10-8 offering in a couple of months.

YVK
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I am currently using the stock rear sight (dots painted over) with a Dawson .115 fiber optic front Painted florescent orange and am pretty happy with the sight picture.

Haven't done the math yet, but this appears to be the height I'd need to get a POA/POI picture with stock rear. Who did the installation, self?

JohnN
10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Haven't done the math yet, but this appears to be the height I'd need to get a POA/POI picture with stock rear. Who did the installation, self?

Just so their is no confusion, I am referring to the width of the front sight not the height. The stock height seems to work for me.

A local shop with a sight press installed it for me in less than five minutes and charged be all of five dollars.

JRL
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
In the interest of not creating a new thread...

I'm considering purchasing a P30 and am aware that the stock luminous sights aren't ideal. I've also found that if you look really hard,
there are a few places that sell the P30 with factory meprolights, for about a $50 premium. For those who have seen both, is it worth it
just to have the tritium sights, or would the money go better towards future upgrades such as the Straight-8s?

JV_
10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
I've only used the factory Meprolights and I hated the sight picture. I sold them and bought Heinies.

CCT125US
10-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Well here is my first attempt to share a pic so forgive me if this does not work......

YVK.. here are two examples of sight options that have been mentioned so far. The P30 on the left is my pistol with the Heinie Straight 8 Qwik. You will notice the top serration has been filled in with orange nail polish. The right P30 is my wife's with the factory meprolights. Can you guess which one I like better??

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/1017111818.jpg

JV_
10-17-2011, 07:03 PM
CCT: Here you go:

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa433/CCT125US/Mobile%20Uploads/1017111818.jpg

YVK
10-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I've been using Heinie's straight 8s on everything, I like the sights. The P30 is my first gun that has a usable tri-dot sights though, and I kind of dig how fast I can line up those dots for quick hits out to 25 feet or so. The sights suck in stock form, but I had rear notch opened out to 0.180 and it made them quite usable. The front sight/rear notch dimensions are now identical to fairly popular Hackathorn sights for Glocks. This is a primary reason I am trying to salvage the original combo, or at least the rear sight. Right now I am thinking to shave down that front sight and see what happens.

Default.mp3
10-17-2011, 10:55 PM
To piggyback onto the thread, does anyone know where to get a set of Heinie 3950s? According to GrayGuns (they were going to install a set for me), they haven't been able to get a hold of Heinie for awhile now (like a week or two), and I haven't been able to get them on the phone to confirm that they actually have them in-stock on the website. Thanks.

DaZe831
07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Well here is my first attempt to share a pic so forgive me if this does not work......

YVK.. here are two examples of sight options that have been mentioned so far. The P30 on the left is my pistol with the Heinie Straight 8 Qwik. You will notice the top serration has been filled in with orange nail polish. The right P30 is my wife's with the factory meprolights. Can you guess which one I like better??

Thanks for sharing this. I was thinking of either Mepros or Heinie 8's but was not sure. Really leaning towards the 8's now...

DaZe831
09-01-2012, 08:00 PM
10-8's for the HK45/P30 are back in stock. Ordered mine today and will be installing ASAP.