PDA

View Full Version : On camera protection app...

BaiHu
02-26-2016, 11:13 PM
Looks like a bad idea masquerading as technological genius, but I'd love to hear from all of you.

Mods, feel free to embed the video, I'm on my phone and am lazy/ignorant.

http://www.oncamera.co/

BehindBlueI's
02-26-2016, 11:39 PM
...sounds like a decent retirement gig for the officers...

JAD
02-26-2016, 11:42 PM
And a bizarre way to delay calling 911.

BaiHu
02-26-2016, 11:43 PM
But is that how it really works? I looked on some apps and they don't seem to work that way. No different than recording with a camera. How do you not pay for that kind of service?

ETA: I see a lot of masks in the future, stealing the phone first or more 2 or 3 man teams.

BJXDS
02-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Looks like a bad idea masquerading as technological genius, but I'd love to hear from all of you.

Mods, feel free to embed the video, I'm on my phone and am lazy/ignorant.

http://www.oncamera.co/

This may work, how about a cell phone for gun trade in program. AND lets link a psychiatrist to the call so they could talk to the bad guy and see what caused him to want to do this, I am sure he it's someone else's fault he felt the need to rob or rape someone!

What would you rather have, a camera with a phone or something else??? To many assumptions for me me to stake the life of me or my loved ones on, like.... cell reception in an underground garage or the willingness of the bad guy to stop. I think I will take my chances with the method of my choice, NOT a cell phone with a camera.

BaiHu
02-27-2016, 09:06 AM
This may work, how about a cell phone for gun trade in program. AND lets link a psychiatrist to the call so they could talk to the bad guy and see what caused him to want to do this, I am sure he it's someone else's fault he felt the need to rob or rape someone!

What would you rather have, a camera with a phone or something else??? To many assumptions for me me to stake the life of me or my loved ones on, like.... cell reception in an underground garage or the willingness of the bad guy to stop. I think I will take my chances with the method of my choice, NOT a cell phone with a camera.
It also assumes a very high level of awareness by the innocent and poor targeting/distance by the criminal.

LOKNLOD
02-27-2016, 09:28 AM
This looks like a great way to speed up the paperwork documenting your robbery, rape, and/or murder.

BaiHu
02-27-2016, 09:32 AM
This looks like a great way to speed up the paperwork documenting your robbery, rape, and/or murder.
No wonder cops are behind it [emoji6]

LOKNLOD
02-27-2016, 09:33 AM
No wonder cops are behind it [emoji6]

It's like police report E-File.

LOKNLOD
02-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Having watched the video now (versus reading the description)...holy crap. That's completely idiotic. "I'm going to hold up an app to yell at you for me!" Seriously?

It's best used if you throw the phone at the guy with the cop yelling "LEEEEROOOY JENKINS!" to distract them long enough to draw your gun.

Sounds like a good way for an officer to spend his day butt-dialed looking at the inside of some lady's purse. "MA'AM! Hellllloooooo!!!!!! you did it again!!!! Can you hear me? I'm hanging up now!"

Totem Polar
02-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Plus, we all know how reliable cell phones are in typical fringe areas, eg.inside concrete stairwells, underground parking garages, in remote areas, etc.

I will admit that it seems like a usable way to punk a buddy at a frat party though.

File under "salt gun."

God, I miss the days of rat tail combs and hairspray as bad advice. At least, assuming modern materials like G10 or CF, you can F someone up with the comb.

BehindBlueI's
02-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a good way for an officer to spend his day butt-dialed looking at the inside of some lady's purse. "MA'AM! Hellllloooooo!!!!!! you did it again!!!! Can you hear me? I'm hanging up now!"

Yup. Sweet retirement gig. I can yell at people on the phone for free. Getting paid for it? Jackpot.

Now, as far as the effectiveness...well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI3uFgRVFuI

Hambo
02-27-2016, 05:11 PM

No, this is what LE will be reduced to in a few more years. No LE shootings, no more excessive force, because cops will sit at a desk and wait for citizens to self-report crimes via apps. Homicide will be the only unit to go into the field until somebody develops a chalk line app.