PDA

View Full Version : Making A Glock Trade

Kennydale
02-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Have a friend who feels maybe with his physical condition he now wants to trade his G21 with a ghost edge trigger for a 9mm. I have a rarely used stock G19 gen 4. (My EDC is my G17 gen4) & the G19 gets shot occasionally. I really don't know if I want to add a 45acp to my fixed income budget. (Also have a pocket. 380 and 38). Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

HCM
02-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Have a friend who feels maybe with his physical condition he now wants to trade his G21 with a ghost edge trigger for a 9mm. I have a rarely used stock G19 gen 4. (My EDC is my G17 gen4) & the G19 gets shot occasionally. I really don't know if I want to add a 45acp to my fixed income budget. (Also have a pocket. 380 and 38). Thoughts?

I think you answered your own question. The 21 is a nice gun but 45 is nearly double the cost of 9mm. Plus you would need new mags, holsters etc.

Your 19 is a practical back up to your 17 both in terms of logistics (ammo and mags) and training / commonality. If something were to happen to your 17, (lost, stolen, broken, taken into evidence after a shooting etc) you could load you 19, carry it in 17 holsters and feed it with 17 mags.

Nephrology
02-26-2016, 04:52 PM
I think you answered your own question. The 21 is a nice gun but 45 is nearly double the cost of 9mm. Plus you would need new mags, holsters etc.

Your 19 is a practical back up to your 17 both in terms of logistics (ammo and mags) and training / commonality. If something were to happen to your 17, (lost, stolen, broken, taken into evidence after a shooting etc) you could load you 19, carry it in 17 holsters and feed it with 17 mags.

Agreed. The aftermarket trigger stuff doesn't really do it for me. I got a G35 that came with a ZevTech trigger in it (fortunately not priced accordingly), and while it was sort of nice, it wasn't totally reliable and quickly got replaced with an OEM unit. I'd keep the 19. I used to own a Gen3 G21, and no longer do. It was a nice gun, but I didn't have any very pragmatic reason to be buying/stocking .45 in bulk and the finances didn't make any sense, especially given a lack of holster commonality.

Kennydale
02-26-2016, 05:26 PM

You've hit it on the head. I fell in love with the G19 (Carried a Ruger SR40C for 2 1/2 years) only because my wife wanted a G26 (I felt the compatibility of magazines was a big plus for me to get the G19)After owning the G19 for 8 months . It turned into a G17 because my very smart wife thought i'd love one for Father's Day/Birthday last year, and she was 100% right. The G19 is now my backup. My Ruger 40 is also a back up in case 9mm becomes scarce again. As much as I think I'd like a ,45ACP. It becomes a strain on my budget. I will help my friend find a decent 9mm. Just not from my small collection (So many guns, SO LITTLE MONEY !)

VolGrad
02-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Pass. I never get excited about adding another caliber. I really hate buying the support gear to go with it.

Nephrology
02-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Pass. I never get excited about adding another caliber. I really hate buying the support gear to go with it.

Agreed... I already begrudgingly support .40, wouldn't bother if I needed all new holsters/mag pouches/etc for them.

HCM
02-26-2016, 06:12 PM
You've hit it on the head. I fell in love with the G19 (Carried a Ruger SR40C for 2 1/2 years) only because my wife wanted a G26 (I felt the compatibility of magazines was a big plus for me to get the G19)After owning the G19 for 8 months . It turned into a G17 because my very smart wife thought i'd love one for Father's Day/Birthday last year, and she was 100% right. The G19 is now my backup. My Ruger 40 is also a back up in case 9mm becomes scarce again. As much as I think I'd like a ,45ACP. It becomes a strain on my budget. I will help my friend find a decent 9mm. Just not from my small collection (So many guns, SO LITTLE MONEY !)

Just a thought to consider re: a .40 back up gun.

Right now, Guns store and Police supply stores are awash with .40 cal police trade in guns, particularly Glock Model 22s and 23's, which are the exact same size and fit the exact same holsters as the Glock 17 and 19.

GT Distributors in Austin and DFW are selling Glock 22 and 23 trade ins for $ 325ish. If I were you, I would consider selling off the Ruger .40 and replacing it with a PD trade in Glock 40. Why ?

1) It will fit your existing Glock holsters and other support gear (except magazines)
2) It gives you Commonality of training if you do need to switch calibers
3) Rather than simply sitting there till 40 is the only thing available, for $100 or so you can purchase a 40 to 9mm Lone Wolf Conversion barrel. It drops in and allows you to shoot 9mm using the barrel and the 9mm mags you already have. GT Distributors sells the conversion barrels as well.

I have a LW 40 -9 barrel in my Glock 23 and it shoots very well.

inspectagadget
02-26-2016, 06:26 PM
I would pass on the trigger.....

JonInWA
02-26-2016, 06:40 PM
.45 ACP actually isn't necessarily that expensive-I'm getting Federal Champion aluminum cased @ Walmart for about $15 for a box of 50; it's pretty decent stuff-I use it for practice, IDPA and GSSF matches.

The G21 is a fairly large-girthed Glock-even in SF or Gen4 format. I'd try one before comitting.

Best, Jon

HopetonBrown
02-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Take the 17 to a class, leave the 19 in your range bag. If your 17 decides to quit working you can throw on the 19 with zero change if gear. With the 21 you're gonna need a separate holster, mag pouch, mags and ammo.

45dotACP
02-26-2016, 08:09 PM
My first semi auto was a Glock 21 which came fully set up for USPSA with a G code holster and mag pouches...

I converted to 9mm later but I am always always hesitant to add any new calibers amd have shot only 9, 45, and .38 for pistols.

It's a great pistol...but I'd avoid adding a new handgun, holster, mags and ammunition with no commonality with what you currently have. Hopetown speaks the troof

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

spinmove_
02-28-2016, 08:52 PM
If you were trading anything else for the G21 I would have a bit of a quandary myself. However, given that you're considering trading a G19 (when you have a G17 as your EDC), I can't recommend enough that you DON'T do that. Take it from someone who's sold off a G19 to fund other guns to eventually come back to having a G19 again. I wouldn't do it if I were you. And I'm considering eventually having a G21 in the safe.

Rustin
02-29-2016, 12:05 PM
I don't mean to hijack but didn't want to start a new thread..

Is a gen 3 rtf2 g17 WITH gills on the slide worth anything more than a standard gen 3? I'm about ready to part with mine.

HopetonBrown
02-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Is a gen 3 rtf2 g17 WITH gills on the slide worth anything more than a standard gen 3? I'm about ready to part with mine.
Since I'm not allowed to own a Gen 4 here in California I'd like to buy it, as I'd like the grip texture for IDPA SSP that doesn't permit stippling. PM me, thanks.

HCM
02-29-2016, 01:46 PM

It would bring a slight premium - Usually $50 to $75 more than a standard used gen 3. The RTF 19's bring a little more.

Kennydale
02-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Just a thought to consider re: a .40 back up gun.

Right now, Guns store and Police supply stores are awash with .40 cal police trade in guns, particularly Glock Model 22s and 23's, which are the exact same size and fit the exact same holsters as the Glock 17 and 19.

GT Distributors in Austin and DFW are selling Glock 22 and 23 trade ins for $ 325ish. If I were you, I would consider selling off the Ruger .40 and replacing it with a PD trade in Glock 40. Why ?

1) It will fit your existing Glock holsters and other support gear (except magazines)
2) It gives you Commonality of training if you do need to switch calibers
3) Rather than simply sitting there till 40 is the only thing available, for $100 or so you can purchase a 40 to 9mm Lone Wolf Conversion barrel. It drops in and allows you to shoot 9mm using the barrel and the 9mm mags you already have. GT Distributors sells the conversion barrels as well.

I have a LW 40 -9 barrel in my Glock 23 and it shoots very well.
My Ruger SR40C sits on safe. My backup in case 9mm gets scarce again.

HCM
02-29-2016, 01:51 PM
My Ruger SR40C sits on safe. My backup in case 9mm gets scarce again.

For those thinking of a PD trade in 40 as a back up - remember, like PD trade in revolvers, cheap SKS's etc they won't last forever and when the supply dies up, prices will go up.

Rustin
02-29-2016, 01:55 PM
It would bring a slight premium - Usually $50 to $75 more than a standard used gen 3. The RTF 19's bring a little more.

I'll get some pics and pm you, thx.

Rustin
02-29-2016, 01:56 PM
That's what I was thinking, basically its worth what a new glock is worth.