PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Garment

theblacknight
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Is it faster across the board to clear garment with other strong hand(T.M. Kyle D:D) and then to press out then using gun hand?

I wear my m&p in a MTAC at 3 oclock with tshirt type shirts, and 4 oclock when I wear a button down(unbuttoned) over. When I'm running t shirt, I'm faster with gun hand clear,but some older guys, and some wiser guy, and some both suggested I will be faster if I swap.

Odin Bravo One
10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Work on it.

Once you are comfortable and can safely execute the techniques, run them against a timer. Not once or twice, but a series of repeatable drills, multiple times using each method.

I carry different guns, in different locations, in different cover garments, for different situations. Many times I carry at 3 O'Clock as well, and depending on the garment, it is faster/more efficient to use my shooting hand. Other times, to use my support hand.

The only way to know what is best for you, is to try it for yourself. There is no "One Way" to do things.

ford.304
10-13-2011, 07:45 AM
My experience has been that for things like open jackets, using my shooting hand is faster. But for most shirts, it's better to use my off hand to clear.

It's different depending on you, what clothes you're wearing, what holster you're using, where you are carrying, and what gun you're using. So just practice and see what works.

ToddG
10-13-2011, 09:24 AM
For a closed front garment, using two hands is almost always faster than one. However, that leads to a dependency that will inhibit your SHO draw. So you've got two choices:

Always draw using your SHO, even if the weak hand is available; or,
dedicate time to practicing both the 2H and SHO draw.

The speed benefit of doing it with both hands is such that, for me, #2 is a better option. If my training time was limited or I had reason to believe a SHO draw was far more likely due to some other external factor, I might opt for #1.

JAD
10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Carrying an infant around for the past year has led me to believe that there is a strong possibility that I will be forced to draw SHO; since my training time is limited (certainly more limited than Todd's), that means I now only practice SHO draws.

NickA
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I think there's another thread with some more discussion around here somewhere you might check out, but it boils down to what Sean and Todd have said.
One thing that was brought to my attention recently is how you grab the garment SHO- grabbing with palm in vs flagging your thumb and hooking the thumb under it. You may find one way or the other to work better for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

David Armstrong
10-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I prefer SHO as it is the more versatile, IMO, even though it may be a bit slower.

41magfan
10-13-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm of the opinion that application should automatically dictate the best option. If you're carrying and training for games/competition, please disregard my comment. But in my experience, a primary handgun that can't be drawn (or reholstered) with one hand just may prove to be useless (or a huge impediment) to you in a "real world" circumstance.

TAZ
10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Carrying an infant around for the past year has led me to believe that there is a strong possibility that I will be forced to draw SHO; since my training time is limited (certainly more limited than Todd's), that means I now only practice SHO draws.

1+ to this. We have outgrown the infant stage, but I am always holding his hand or would be using my off hand to direct the spousal unit or kiddo in some form or fashion. As such I have decided to focus my limited training time on mastering the SHO draw.

JohnN
10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
I think there's another thread with some more discussion around here somewhere you might check out, but it boils down to what Sean and Todd have said.
One thing that was brought to my attention recently is how you grab the garment SHO- grabbing with palm in vs flagging your thumb and hooking the thumb under it. You may find one way or the other to work better for you.

Agree, I have found flagging the thumb and hooking it under the garment to be much more fumble prone than palm in. Very easy to get the gun caught up in the garment when increasing draw speed.

NickA
10-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Agree, I have found flagging the thumb and hooking it under the garment to be much more fumble prone than palm in. Very easy to get the gun caught up in the garment when increasing draw speed.

Same here, but could be due to lack of practice. One tip I got from Prdator is to make get your thumb more perpendicular to your thigh (as if stabbing it into your leg) and sweep up, rather than the thumb laying along the thigh. I also have to remember to get the garment good and high before reaching to the gun- may cost a little time but makes it less likely to get hung up.

JohnN
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Same here, but could be due to lack of practice.

ahh....that pesky little problem.

NickA
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
ahh....that pesky little problem.

Unfortunately my monthly practice right now is probably what Todd would call "Tuesday. Before lunch. ":(

ToddG
10-15-2011, 12:49 AM
I don't usually shoot on Tuesdays. The NRA Range is closed. :p

theblacknight
10-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys. I think the overall message I got is "you should train for both asshole!".:p