PDA

View Full Version : Grayguns/LEM

JohnN
10-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Has anyone had the opportunity to shoot a P30 LEM sent to Grayguns for their reduced reset package?

SecondsCount
10-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I believe forum member YVK had this done to his P30.

YVK
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
I believe forum member YVK had this done to his P30.

Yep, and Todd had a chance to put a few rounds through it during last weekend. He didn't shoot much so I don't know if he has an in-depth opinion.

Honestly, I can't tell you much since I don't have a frame of reference. I have one P30 with the job, and nothing to compare it to. I asked Bruce not to touch trigger return spring to keep reset positive, and the trigger pull is not the lightest but quite manageable at 6 lbs. The pull is smooth, but, frankly, it was fine before. The reset was reduced significantly, from 0.24 pre to 0.12 post, exactly in half. It is now about the same as on my Glock.

At this point, I am not sure it is worth the money - between the cost of shipping and job itself, it is a ton of dough. Trigger feels sweet, but "feels" and "performs" are different animals. The only tangible benefit is that now I don't shortstroke after switching to P30 from Glock or 1911. If you have to or want to switch/rotate for whatever reason, it may be worthwhile. If you're dedicated P30 user, I'd shoot it for a while and then decided.

There is a bunch of people on HKPRO who have Grayguns trigger jobs, and the majority of them, in my not so subtle opinion, are emotionally attached to their $500 trigger work expenditure. I have not seen a single "before-after" or matched pair performance report with objective scores/times/group sizes comparing stock vs. GGI trigger.

SecondsCount and I are both going to be shooting our P30s for some foreseeable future. His is stock LEM - either V4 or V1, or TLG special, but not V2. Perhaps at some points we may run timed and accuracy tests with each other's pistols and see if there is a difference in comparison.

VolGrad
10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
There is a bunch of people on HKPRO who have Grayguns trigger jobs, and the majority of them, in my not so subtle opinion, are emotionally attached to their $500 trigger work expenditure. I have not seen a single "before-after" or matched pair performance report with objective scores/times/group sizes comparing stock vs. GGI trigger.
Same on SigForum.

What I've found is most things hyped as big as Grayguns triggers, Raven holsters, etc. are sort of a let down once you have them for your own. Not saying they aren't great ... just not quite as magical as they are made out to be.

JDM
10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
5 notes for a shortened reset?

John Ralston
10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
5 notes for a shortened reset?

I believe that is for a full trigger job with short reset, and includes shipping both ways. Not sure I would spend that much though...

YVK
10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Same on SigForum.

What I've found is most things hyped as big as Grayguns triggers, Raven holsters, etc. are sort of a let down once you have them for your own. Not saying they aren't great ... just not quite as magical as they are made out to be.

Correct. I personally didn't expect magic and even expressed some skepticism on hkpro. There is a very specific reason why I did that, and it may not apply to other folks, or may even be considered invalid by others.

I believe that is for a full trigger job with short reset, and includes shipping both ways. ...

Correct. They want you to ship UPS specifically, it was about 160 for round trip. The trigger job with reduced reset is slightly north of 300 and includes coating of internals. I had them do couple of other things, which were the best investment for the buck - open a rear sight notch (which transformed a bad sight system into a decent) and cut down slide stops.

JohnN
10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

After using the P30 when Todd was in class for Get SOM/Speed Kills a couple of weekends ago I was fairly happy with my performance with only around 1000 rds through the gun. However, when shooting Dot Torture I dropped 4 points on the weak hand stage which I rarely do when using a M&P. Overall, shooting weak hand has been tough using this trigger system but maybe a couple more thousand rounds would do me more good than a $400 trigger job.

John Ralston
10-13-2011, 08:39 AM
I think that might be the better route...

I struggle with WHO using the LEM as well and believe it is just a lack of rounds down range.

ToddG
10-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I thought the Gray Guns LEM reset reduction was awesome. As some know, Bruce Gray and I are not exactly close friends so when I say I think his works is fantastic, you know I mean it.
I agree that they charge a ridiculous amount for the work. But people keep paying it. That's capitalism. You can't expect him to reduce his prices to satisfy the people who aren't customers as long as he has an army of loyal customers who think his work is worth every penny.
Is it worth it to the average guy? No. Is it worth it to someone who loves his P30 but wishes it just had a shorter reset? Possibly. If I were going back to the P30 and didn't have to worry about testing the gun "from the factory," I'd very seriously consider getting the reset reduction. It's not a necessity and I shot the P30 fine without it, but reducing the reset would address the only technical limitation in the pistol's design IMHO.
I've seen a bunch of folks struggle SHO/WHO with the LEM. Until you get used to the trigger, it is definitely less forgiving of a bad trigger pull (the longer press resultant from the longer reset actually plays a role here). Make a SHO & WHO 3x5 walkback drill part of every range session and see how quickly that problem resolves itself.

DonovanM
10-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Bruce Gray and I are not exactly close friends so when I say I think his works is fantastic, you know I mean it.

Why is that? Both of you seem like swell fellows.

SecondsCount
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Because Green and Gray don't go together. :D

Steven C.
10-13-2011, 10:50 PM

And so humble.:eek:

Savage Hands
10-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Oh boy, what I would give to read that exchange on SF again :D

ToddG
10-14-2011, 09:55 AM
And so humble.:eek:

Winner winner chicken dinner. :cool:

JAD
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Dungeon... Us...

TGS
10-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Dungeon... Us...

CRABS!

BobR
10-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Does anyone have another gunsmith that does a great job for P30 LEM reset reduction? Have considered Greyguns but cost is a factor. Also have a Sig 226 that could use some attention.

Savage Hands
10-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Does anyone have another gunsmith that does a great job for P30 LEM reset reduction? Have considered Greyguns but cost is a factor. Also have a Sig 226 that could use some attention.

Scott Folk at www.apextactical.com can do the same job as he left Grayguns to go to Apex.

ubervic
10-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Give Bill Springfield a look: http://www.triggerwork.net/index.html

JV_
10-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Give Bill Springfield a look: http://www.triggerwork.net/index.html Unfortunately, his history/trackrecord isn't exactly spotless.

CCT125US
10-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

After using the P30 when Todd was in class for Get SOM/Speed Kills a couple of weekends ago I was fairly happy with my performance with only around 1000 rds through the gun. However, when shooting Dot Torture I dropped 4 points on the weak hand stage which I rarely do when using a M&P. Overall, shooting weak hand has been tough using this trigger system but maybe a couple more thousand rounds would do me more good than a $400 trigger job.

"Fairly happy"..... I think its funny when really good shooters are like "yeah that was OK" and they shoot better than 99% of people I have seen. John, you were one of the guys in class who I made it a point to watch shoot as often as possible.... I enjoy shooting with people who are always looking to shoot better,faster, cleaner, and constantly progress.

Savage Hands
10-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Not sure how far off the DCAEK's for the HK's and the Sig but they are in the works.

JohnN
10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
"Fairly happy"..... I think its funny when really good shooters are like "yeah that was OK" and they shoot better than 99% of people I have seen. John, you were one of the guys in class who I made it a point to watch shoot as often as possible.... I enjoy shooting with people who are always looking to shoot better,faster, cleaner, and constantly progress.

Nice of you to say.

Not sure how far off the DCAEK's for the HK's and the Sig but they are in the works.

That would be cool but I am a little unclear how much the parts will shorten the reset on the LEM system.