PDA

View Full Version : Only one handgun for post apocalypse (hypothetical question)

Irfan
02-25-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't know if hypothetical questions are against the rules here, if they are, I ask the moderator to delete this post. Imagine that you live in a post-apocalyptic world like we saw in movies like "The Book of Eli" or "The Postman", and you are allowed to have only one handgun which one would you choose? I'd probably take a G17 but I'd be OK with a Beretta 92 or a SIG P226 or even a CZ75 SP01, but I am not so sure regarding the last choice. Which one would you take?

Nephrology
02-25-2016, 01:44 PM
If it was the apocalypse, wouldn't I already be dead anyway? Wouldn't everybody else too?

warpedcamshaft
02-25-2016, 01:53 PM
If it's "Book of Eli" and Mila Kunis is around, I'd go for a chromed-out Beretta 92... Cause everyone knows the ladies love chromed-out gats. You gotta go chrome, chrome to the dome.

Otherwise a Gen 3 Glock 19. Always.

PNWTO
02-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Obviously a Colt Python, saving one round for the roof of my mouth.

CS Tactical
02-25-2016, 02:01 PM
I'd assign my team Taurass Judge's :cool:

Luke
02-25-2016, 02:13 PM
6" 9mm 1911's. And some 2011's.

Robinson
02-25-2016, 02:39 PM
I'd say "screw it" and find a rifle.

spinmove_
02-25-2016, 02:54 PM
If I only had to pick one, it would be the Glock 19. Not sure that you could find a more prolific sidearm at this point.

HCM
02-25-2016, 03:00 PM
For a true Apocalypse / TEOWAKI

Glock 9mm
Glock 40 w 9mm conversion barrel
Berretta 92

All the hove are very common and easy to work on yourself.

SIG is a good gun but less common and harder to work on.

The CZ is a hot house flower - it has durability issues without regular maintanence and spring replacement.

Ntexwheels
02-25-2016, 03:17 PM
My 1911 will do just fine.

Dropkick
02-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Why not wander the wastelands with a black powder Colt Navy?
:p

GJM
02-25-2016, 03:30 PM
I can't decide until I see all the entrants from the military and FBI RFP's.

Totem Polar
02-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Hypothetically? One I don't own: a tuned, 4 inch fixed sight GP100. I want to be able to shoot anything worth eating, anything else needing shooting, and not have to mess with magazines. Ammo compatibility with abandoned farms is a plus. That, a custom Bowie, a 12 bore pump, a cloak of invisibility, and a hot gal with her own .357 should do while I roam the dystopian wasteland in search of scotch.

JonInWA
02-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Glock G17.....and then a Ruger 22/45.....and then a stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (.357/.38 + 9mm)

Best, Jon

Stephanie B
02-25-2016, 04:11 PM
S&W K-22/Model 17. Able to run everything from high-speed long rifle cartridges to CB caps (the better to take small critters for the pot while not letting everyone within a mile know).

Mitchell, Esq.
02-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I'd say "screw it" and find a rifle.

I'm with him.

pblanc
02-25-2016, 04:22 PM
I would probably go with my Beretta 92 FS and as many 20 round Mec Gar "plus two" magazines as I could carry on my person.

Kyle Reese
02-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Glock 17.

JHC
02-25-2016, 05:13 PM
G26 it is.

Totally sucks the thread rules deny me two, worn on each thigh.

LSP972
02-25-2016, 05:25 PM
SIG is a good gun but... harder to work on.

Huh??? Can you expand on that? Because there really isn't that much going on in a Sig P-series pistol; and I've been peering into and around that Wilson Brig Tac and grandson #2's M9 commercial. Man… there is a whole shitload of pins and tiny springs in that gun.

So, what am I missing? Serious question, as I never made it to any Beretta armorer schools… but those things look worse than a S&W 59-series to wrench on.

spinmove_
02-25-2016, 05:28 PM
G26 it is.

Totally sucks the thread rules deny me two, worn on each thigh.

Well, the rules don't say anything about battlefield pickups or long-term looting/foraging...

Tom Duffy
02-25-2016, 05:53 PM
HK P30L LEM 9mm with Trijicon HD sights, Surefire WML, and a Garrett holster to carry it in.

Tamara
02-25-2016, 05:59 PM
If we're living in a post-apocalyptic world, who's going to stop me from having as many handguns as I want? That Aussie poofter with the hockey mask and the dune buggy? Not bloody likely!

LSP972
02-25-2016, 06:15 PM
That Aussie poofter with the hockey mask and the dune buggy? Not bloody likely!

Shame on you for speaking of The Toecutter in such irreverent terms!:D

breakingtime91
02-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Rollin with the p2000sk loaded with 124 +p GD. Probably won't do too much shooting but a lot of gun pointing.

MRW
02-25-2016, 07:07 PM
I would think a G17 would make sense as it probably is easiest to work on and keep running. I'm torn between that and USP 45. G17 would be easier to work on but USP would probably need less work over the long haul.

Inkwell 41
02-25-2016, 07:16 PM
When I read stuff like "Post Apocalyptic", I think future. When I think "Future", I think hi tech. Based solely on this, I'd have to pick a phased, plasma pistol, in the 35 Watt range.... or a Glock 19.

Sammy1
02-25-2016, 07:34 PM
G17, M9 & or P226/229. G17 first choice and then any of the others.

GJM
02-25-2016, 07:50 PM
FIFY

HK P30L LEM 9mm with Trijicon HD sights, Surefire WML, and a Garrett holster to carry it in. Plus six trigger return springs and the HK.net pliers, 'cause I plan to dry fire and kill a lot with it.

GJM
02-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Huh??? Can you expand on that? Because there really isn't that much going on in a Sig P-series pistol; and I've been peering into and around that Wilson Brig Tac and grandson #2's M9 commercial. Man… there is a whole shitload of pins and tiny springs in that gun.

So, what am I missing? Serious question, as I never made it to any Beretta armorer schools… but those things look worse than a S&W 59-series to wrench on.

Could the LSP's considering noting in their sig line which one likes Glock, which dislikes Glock, which likes Sig, dislikes Sig, likes LEM and dislikes LEM, because I am getting confused!

BehindBlueI's
02-25-2016, 08:16 PM
6" Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum.

Easy to retain brass to reload. Not ammo sensitive. No magazines to keep up with. Easy to maintain. Can be used to barrel thump surly post-apocalypse bartenders.

YVK
02-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Does our Book of Eli screenplay include an unlimited access to 9 mm JHPs off of Doc's list, or we're looking to cast our own ball ammo? 'Cause I am in between G17 and 45ACP 1911 for the ubiquity of mags, parts and ease of user maintenance but the buhlets situation ambiguity doesn't allow me to commit.

JSGlock34
02-25-2016, 08:36 PM
My choice for post apocalyptic sidearm is the G17.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/HSP%20D3%202013/HSP2_zpsf1680361.jpg

Besides availability of spare parts and magazines, it is one of the few firearms I have attended Armorer training for and am comfortable detail stripping. I also don't know the lube situation in the wasteland, but from the pictures I've seen I'm expecting lots of sand, and the Glock seems to need less lubrication than my Beretta 92 or 1911.

Joe in PNG
02-25-2016, 08:48 PM
When I read stuff like "Post Apocalyptic", I think future. When I think "Future", I think hi tech. Based solely on this, I'd have to pick a phased, plasma pistol, in the 35 Watt range.... or a Glock 19.

If we're going high tech, I'll take one of the Culture's equivtech drones from Special Circumstances. Something able to take on armies (Civ level 4 and under) yet able to fit in your pocket. Then again, Culture drones are at a human level intelligence +, and can be a bit sarcastic and snarky...
Maybe a Ruger GP100 instead.

HCM
02-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Why not wander the wastelands with a black powder Colt Navy?
:p

Keep this in reserve for when you have to start casting your own bullets and making your own Blackpowder. Percussion caps would be the tricky part but certainly easier than modern brass case ammo.

HCM
02-25-2016, 08:54 PM

Beretta is the standard service pistol for the US military so guns and spare parts will be more common than the SIG. The Beretta is a little more complicated to work on than the sig, but it is much easier then the Smith & Wesson 59 series. I've been to SIG Armorer school. It's not that hard to work on but you do need at least one specialized tool. And while SIGs are popular in police use they don't even come close to the Glock combined with the beretta's civilian LE and military use. In this case quantity has a quality all its own.

If I had to pick a gun to run knowing I would never be able to work on it or find spare parts, I would probably choose the HK USP, followed by the Glock, followed by the Sig P series.

Arbninftry
02-25-2016, 09:03 PM
A M1 Abrams tank, with its own tanker following with Charlize driving it with her 5 hot models wearing nothing much.
You did say wandering the wasteland, might as well be in style. Maybe a G17/19 also.

JHC
02-25-2016, 09:03 PM
My choice for post apocalyptic sidearm is the G17.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/HSP%20D3%202013/HSP2_zpsf1680361.jpg

Besides availability of spare parts and magazines, it is one of the few firearms I have attended Armorer training for and am comfortable detail stripping. I also don't know the lube situation in the wasteland, but from the pictures I've seen I'm expecting lots of sand, and the Glock seems to need less lubrication than my Beretta 92 or 1911.

Love that pic. With my G26 I have a universal Glock that can run with any Glock 9mm or .40 mag I find. Don't ask me how I know.

LSP552
02-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Could the LSP's considering noting in their sig line which one likes Glock, which dislikes Glock, which likes Sig, dislikes Sig, likes LEM and dislikes LEM, because I am getting confused!

LSP552 likes SIGs and Glocks but not LEM. In fact, the MP5 is the only HK I ever liked.

And if I had to pick one pistol to "walk the earth" with, it would be a Glock 17.

Malamute
02-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Keep this in reserve for when you have to start casting your own bullets and making your own Blackpowder. Percussion caps would be the tricky part but certainly easier than modern brass case ammo.

Youd probably still be ahead of the game using cartridge guns, even automatics. They'll run on black powder. Cases aren't going to disappear, many don't even pick them up. Primers could be refurbed with whatever priming mixture would work with percussion caps, or stockpiled, or salvaged from other calibers, as could smokeless powder. Some time with a loading manual, bullet puller, scale, and basic reloading tools you could likely get a reasonable idea what powder burn rate was in a load and make a usable load in your caliber.

Just for grins, search black powder 45 automatic on youtube. Theres a number of threads on forums about it also.

The point I usually make when people mention buying a percussion revolver for the alpacalypse is the same amount of money in powder, primers, bullets and bullet mould would probably last a lifetime if it came to dire necessity. Nobody needs a reason to buy a percussion revolver beyond they simply want to, and theyre a lot of fun.

StraitR
02-25-2016, 10:42 PM
If I was worried about style points, clearly a Coonan, preferably X2 in akimbo. Practicality says a boring Glock 17, but it's the apocalypse man, isn't that what "passion of the gun" is all about?

JHC
02-25-2016, 11:22 PM
Practicality says a boring Glock 17, but it's the apocalypse man, isn't that what "passion of the gun" is all about?[/QUOTE]

Sheeeeat. Passion? Passion? How about passion to get to the Pacific? ??

LOKNLOD
02-25-2016, 11:27 PM
Ob-apocalypse

Is that when the obstetricians take over the world?

pablo
02-25-2016, 11:45 PM

I have a Forster tap-o-cap tool for making persussion caps out of aluminum cans and roll caps. I don't know if Forster make them anymore or if anyone makes roll caps, but it was surprisingly reliable.

I'd choose a suppressed Ruger MKIII just to be sneaky.

Maple Syrup Actual
02-25-2016, 11:45 PM
G17 would do fine for me. If things get so weird around here I'm hauling a gun around, I'm heading to my island. And over there, I want something that'd handle surf zone.

TGS
02-25-2016, 11:50 PM
For practicality, an HK USPc.

To go out in style either a LeMat revolver, Mauser C96, or Mateba Unica-6 autorevolver.

RevolverRob
02-26-2016, 12:48 AM
I have a Forster tap-o-cap tool for making persussion caps out of aluminum cans and roll caps. I don't know if Forster make them anymore or if anyone makes roll caps, but it was surprisingly reliable.

I did not know such a tool existed. I will be looking to acquire one immediately. Edit found it: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842064/forster-tap-o-cap-11-percusion-cap-maker And suddenly, my life is more complete. Thank you.

___

In my various post-apocalyptic stories, I choose different weapons based on the character's background and personality. To date, I've had overcompansating male characters carry two .50 cal DEagles, a female character with a single action revolver, and two characters (male and female) that swap guns about every time one runs out of ammunition. Typically choosing whatever is immediately available (often 9mm/.40 handguns from police holsters). Much like myself, I find it difficult to choose a single thing - but if I had to a reliable service-sized 9mm handgun would probably be it. As much as I love .357s and revolvers - 9mm ammunition might as well be water during the post-apocalyptic wasteland. Military guns will be available and any cop guns too. Just pick one, or two, or twelve.

There are a couple of compelling reasons to go with something like a .22 - carrying a large volume of ammunition is easier. It's quietier and that helps. In that realm, I would likely choose something weird as my weapon. Something like a Beretta Bobcat with a suppressor attached. A small suppressor, and CT Laser grips, with a tip-up barrel. A gun that would be entirely silent with .22 shorts. It would be effective with high-velocity ammo even at longer ranges with the laser grips. Easy enough to carry a few thousand rounds of ammunition, without radically altering your ability to move quick. I'd have to back it up with a brutally effective bladed weapon and maybe a 10/22 or bolt-action, magazine-fed, .22.

-Rob

DMF13
02-26-2016, 01:45 AM
A compact Beretta 92, to go along with a Beretta Storm Carbine.

Good thing this is all hypothetical as I own neither (but do want both).

:cool:

DMF13
02-26-2016, 01:49 AM
Obviously a Colt Python, saving one round for the roof of my mouth.Were you the Pennsylvania State Treasurer in a past life?

RavenU
02-26-2016, 05:21 AM
I don't know if hypothetical questions are against the rules here, if they are, I ask the moderator to delete this post. Imagine that you live in a post-apocalyptic world like we saw in movies like "The Book of Eli" or "The Postman", and you are allowed to have only one handgun which one would you choose? I'd probably take a G17 but I'd be OK with a Beretta 92 or a SIG P226 or even a CZ75 SP01, but I am not so sure regarding the last choice. Which one would you take?

Depends on where I am? In North America I'd choose 45 ACP in any of the appropriately chambered Glocks. In Europe I take 9 x 19mm again in any of the appropriately chambered Glocks. Other than that I'd choose any, 'battlefield pickup' that I could get my hands on.

rob_s
02-26-2016, 05:26 AM
The same answer applies here that always applies to the "what handgun for..." question: Glock 19.

Mjolnir
02-26-2016, 05:28 AM
I get the sneaking suspicion that post-apocalyptic America will not be awash in much of anything.

Yeah, movies make it look kinda cool. Reality for ammo & magazines will probably resemble post-Sandy Hook.

Glocks would be the "best" way to travel. I would choose Model 19.

I do like the .357 Magnum Revolver option.

Does anyone still make a revolver that shoots all 9mm cartridges?

Korth did make one and I recall reading about the "Medusa" in SOF decades ago. I imagine it takes moon clips but it will certainly shoot the most common ammo.

** Back to Glock: get a Model 23 and a conversion barrel and a .22LR conversion.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Hambo
02-26-2016, 07:26 AM
A .62 smoothbore flintlock.

OnionsAndDragons
02-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Assuming no parts ever: H&K USPc

Scrounger4Lyfe: chopped down G17 or G34, due to being able to run all the G19 mags too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GRV
02-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Depends on where I am? In North America I'd choose 45 ACP in any of the appropriately chambered Glocks. In Europe I take 9 x 19mm again in any of the appropriately chambered Glocks. Other than that I'd choose any, 'battlefield pickup' that I could get my hands on.

Why, are you worried about getting jammed up for carrying hi-cap mags through New Jersey and California?

...All that interstate travel; the transport laws alone are already making my head spin :rolleyes:

JAD
02-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Were you the Pennsylvania State Treasurer in a past life?
Hey, man -- nice shot.

JHC
02-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Hey, man -- nice shot.

SHHHHHH! Witness Protection and all!

Beat Trash
02-26-2016, 12:44 PM
I wish that I could be more original than to say a Glock 17. But I would carry some spare parts in my bag, and the spare parts would be stored in this neat container that is shaped a whole lot like another Glock 17...

ReverendMeat
02-26-2016, 01:05 PM

I'm basically an idiot but when it comes to stripping the frames, both the Beretta and SIG are about on par in terms of difficulty for me. Each one has its own quirks where I gotta hold my mouth just right--getting the trigger bar back in on a SIG, properly lining up the TRS and sear spring on the Beretta, mainly.

For the purposes of this thread, either one (or, I suppose, a G17 G4) would work just fine for me. Probably'd lean towards a short external extractor 229 though.

CCT125US
02-26-2016, 02:49 PM
These discussions always make me chuckle. Face it, hard to call something an apocalypse without a casualty rate of 25% (hypothetical of course) or greater. Sounds like I should have plenty of options in the firearms category. To the victor goes the spoils.

GJM
02-26-2016, 05:35 PM
Probably'd lean towards a short external extractor 229 though.

Wouldn't you need to know whether Cohen survived the apocalypse before making a Sig decision?

Josh Runkle
02-26-2016, 05:46 PM
Duh, the Pfeifer Zeliska 28mm revolver. Because Deathclaws.

ffhounddog
02-26-2016, 08:34 PM
Desert Eagle in 41mag and gold plated to back up my gold plated ak-74

45dotACP
02-26-2016, 08:50 PM
I'd probably go with one of those wrist mounted crossbows...

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Malamute
02-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Wouldn't you need to know whether Cohen survived the apocalypse before making a Sig decision?

Cohen?

The Cohen I'm familiar with had a sword.

I'd probably go with one of those wrist mounted crossbows...

Crossbow. Yeah.

I've recently become fascinated with medieval crossbows.

For some reason.

They can run up to several hundred pounds draw weight.

http://www.crossbows.net/5F_finnish.php

http://www.crossbows.net/CuMine/index.php

GJM
02-26-2016, 09:53 PM
Cohen?

The guy that either ruined or saved Sig.

RevolverRob
02-27-2016, 01:11 AM
These discussions always make me chuckle. Face it, hard to call something an apocalypse without a casualty rate of 25% (hypothetical of course) or greater. Sounds like I should have plenty of options in the firearms category. To the victor goes the spoils.

That's the part of the apocalypse stories I never quite got...it's like people are 1) Fighting Constantly 2) Always on edge for resources 3) Haven't figured out how to ambush.

The long and short is - if 40-50% of the population turns into zombies, there will be more guns, ammunition, and heavy armaments than you know what to do with. My suggestion is everyone make friends with people who can operate/fix military equipment. And learn how to operate an M4, Beretta 92, and a few other select platforms.

BWT
02-27-2016, 02:29 AM
I'd go either Glock 19 or the Ruger GP100 (heard great things about them). Large caliber magnum that doesn't require magazines, retains brass, and can beat someone with in a pinch. Remember, we're going pre-JHP again maybe a larger caliber starts looking practical for lethality/hunting.

God bless,

Brandon

Trooper224
02-27-2016, 08:19 AM
My 7.5 inch nickel plated Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt. If it's the end of days than I'm going out high on style points.

JSGlock34
02-27-2016, 03:33 PM

So...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DUFAZcKL3k

DMF13
02-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Hey, man -- nice shot.Glad you got the reference, and impressed you know the connection to that song.

Filter - Hey Man, Nice Shot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mJ82x_l-E)