PDA

View Full Version : Texas professors say guns in classes could chill debate

Wendell
02-25-2016, 09:29 AM
"Academics know the intrusion of gun culture into campus inevitably harms academic culture," Jonathan Snow, president of the faculty senate, told the University of Houston Board of Regents. Under the law, which takes effect Aug. 1, licensed gun owners may carry concealed handguns on public university campuses. University officials have some discretion to designate gun-free zones, but a recent opinion from the Texas attorney general's office said no limits may be placed on students carrying guns in classrooms or dormitories. The University of Houston Faculty Senate adopted a resolution last year that opposed the law, stating, "The diverse academic communities and free academic discourse are especially threatened by the presence of deadly weapons in teaching, research and living spaces."
http://thechronicleherald.ca/world/1344487-some-texas-professors-say-guns-in-classes-could-chill-debate (http://thechronicleherald.ca/world/1344487-some-texas-professors-say-guns-in-classes-could-chill-debate)

JV_
02-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Seung-Hui Cho chilled some lively classroom debates too.

Tamara
02-25-2016, 09:32 AM
I've spent nearly every working day of my adult life wearing a gun and surrounded by people wearing guns. If people wearing guns somehow chills debate (or even prevents heated arguments) I haven't noticed.

Chris Rhines
02-25-2016, 09:34 AM
In this era of trigger warnings, safe spaces, and administration-sanctioned censorship, the whining of the faculty Senate leaves me totally unmoved.

NETim
02-25-2016, 09:36 AM
I notice that all debates are chilled on Utah campuses.

More projection. They don't trust what they see in the mirror.

Tamara
02-25-2016, 09:37 AM
It's my emotional support Glock. I even have a doctor's note. Your hoplophobia is triggering me.

RJ
02-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Texas?!

Hell, I assumed everybody in Texas had a gun on them anyways.

I always thought that is why everyone is so polite there. :cool:

LOKNLOD
02-25-2016, 09:44 AM
In this era of trigger warnings, safe spaces, and administration-sanctioned censorship, the whining of the faculty Senate leaves me totally unmoved.

Of course, observing college students call for trigger warnings, safe spaces, censorship of opposing thought, and all the other nonsense college kids seem to be neck deep in these days makes me think they don't have the mettle to handle guns for the same reason I don't think strapping Glocks to all my daughter's pre-K classmates is a great idea, either.

College is looking more and more like kindergarten plus sex and booze than ever.

Don't worry it will get better though once everybody gets to go for "free!"

Chris Rhines
02-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Of course, observing college students call for trigger warnings, safe spaces, censorship of opposing thought, and all the other nonsense college kids seem to be neck deep in these days makes me think they don't have the mettle to handle guns for the same reason I don't think strapping Glocks to all my daughter's pre-K classmates is a great idea, either.

College is looking more and more like kindergarten plus sex and booze than ever.

Don't worry it will get better though once everybody gets to go for "free!"

Most of them probably don't, which is fine.

Myself, I was competing in UIT Free Pistol and IDPA all through college, along with all the requisite sex, drugs, booze, and partying. So clearly it's not an issue for everyone.

scw2
02-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Speaking of trigger warnings and safe spaces....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j556MWGVVqI

Nephrology
02-25-2016, 10:45 AM
It's my emotional support Glock. I even have a doctor's note. Your hoplophobia is triggering me.

"DO NOT PET"

45dotACP
02-25-2016, 10:46 AM
And that's why brutal beatings and stabbings occured in my political science 102 courses...because if history has taught me one thing, it's that debate club regularly gives you not only verbal, but also physical sparring when it inevitably flows from "you're wrong" to "fuck you and your hyoid bone, asshole."

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

GardoneVT
02-25-2016, 10:52 AM
I've encountered professors so horrible that its clear why most colleges don't want even the chance of an armed student body.

"Today on the evening news; Calculus II professor ambushed and shot after 90% of his students failed the course.. More on tonight's broadcast."

Chance
02-25-2016, 10:57 AM
Some people have a visceral, irrational reaction when you force them to consider their personal safety. I'm sympathetic to some of the reservations about campus carry, but when I hear professors say things like, "I don't think I'll feel safe meeting students in my office now," my head bounces off the desk. Obviously, no one could attack them in their offices before.

RoyGBiv
02-25-2016, 11:01 AM
What they don't realize they're afraid of is what THEY would do.... That their Progressive BS might set someone off and having a gun handy seems, to them, like a great way of handling someone who disagrees with you... They're just projecting. Children will do that.

Ntexwheels
02-25-2016, 11:07 AM
This for some reason reminds me of a very good friend who is now retired from the Texas DPS. He told me once that upon graduation from the Academy, he was told to be careful while working because 7 out of 10 vehicles in Texas have guns in them. He told me the danged instructors lied to him because he found out quick that 9 out of every 10 had guns in them!

Point being, the gun culture is so ingrained here in Texas that what a few so called 'professors' have to say, doesn't amount to a hill of beans!

Peally
02-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Some people have a visceral, irrational reaction when you force them to consider their personal safety. I'm sympathetic to some of the reservations about campus carry, but when I hear professors say things like, "I don't think I'll feel safe meeting students in my office now," my head bounces off the desk. Obviously, no one could attack them in their offices before.

Can't fix stupid. Funny part is this brand of stupid is charged with teaching kids.

RevolverRob
02-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Anytime one of my colleagues brings this up, "I'd be afraid to converse with a student wearing a gun." I tell them to go get their own .45, strap it on, and practice with it. Then if the kid gets a littly itchy they can pull their piece and plug them first. This gets a lot of strange, but fascinating responses...

BillSWPA
02-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Just invite a conservative speaker to campus, and we'll see how much free debate exists even without the debate being allegedly "chilled" by the presence of guns.

GardoneVT
02-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Can't fix stupid. Funny part is this brand of stupid is charged with teaching kids.
In all fairness to some of the professors, many of them don't honestly know better.

Colleges employ many educated foreigners. Most come from countries whose gun laws make New Jersey look like Wyoming. Atop that, foreign media loves to paint America as a nation of cowboys running around shooting duels over parking spaces.

They emigrate here and arrive with a pre-existing anti gun perspective which can be VERY hard to refute. Add in our own home grown professional hoplophobes, and you get modern academia.

Now it should also be noted that not every professor is anti, and many of them have to keep silent about their pro-gun views. After Sandy Hook the FFL near my college mentioned that he sold as many carry size guns as he did ARs, and to people who swore him to silence regarding their occupations with The Big University nearby.

OnionsAndDragons
02-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Jon Snow knows nothing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farscott
02-25-2016, 01:00 PM
I am traveling and using Tapatalk, so this will be brief.

I am so disappointed with my alma mater. Thirty years ago the Faculty Senate wanted the ability to carry concealed weapons. Now, not so much.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Here is a PPT from the University of Houston Faculty Senate on how to deal with potential nuts and vigilantes in class (that's you!)

http://fs.uh.edu/documents/events/Campus%20Carry%20Faculty%20Forum-2016-0.2012816132703.ppt

It looks like all the private schools in TX are banning carry. The discussions that are supposed to discuss the issue are rigged and the vast majority of professors and administratios oppose carry. Reasons are political, fear and liability.

Wondering Beard
02-25-2016, 02:35 PM
What they don't realize they're afraid of is what THEY would do.... That their Progressive BS might set someone off and having a gun handy seems, to them, like a great way of handling someone who disagrees with you... They're just projecting. Children will do that.

Maybe so, but think about it this way: the students carrying guns aren't likely to be of the progressive mold (even if they are, it doesn't matter because the professors will likely assume they aren't) so the professors who have brought all the progressive BS to campuses will now be chilled from propagating the self same BS due to fear of microaggressing their conservative gun carrying students. Not only is the irony delicious, it could actually slow the profs' propaganda.

I'm just amused

BehindBlueI's
02-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Well, someone so touched in the head as to shoot someone over a academic debate must SURELY be the sort of person who will abide by gun free zone regulations. Forethought is the strong suit of someone with such anger issues they'd murder over some heated debate (maybe someone's still REALLY upset that Pluto got demoted?). They also tend to do so well in high school and get into college quite easily...

Someone will have to translate that so academics can read it. I can speak egghead, but modern PC egghead is beyond my reach.

Trooper224
02-25-2016, 05:58 PM
On campus in Texas, if a gun isn't at least of .45 caliber is it considered a microaggression?

Mr_White
02-25-2016, 06:19 PM
On campus in Texas, if a gun isn't at least of .45 caliber is it considered a microaggression?

That tears it. On Saturday when I show up to the USPSA match, I am going to declare Limited, M, MICROAGGRESSION!

SeriousStudent
02-25-2016, 09:13 PM
I was a college professor in Texas for 6 years. What chills debate is the climate of mistrust and/or condescension from the college administrators, not the presence or absence of firearms.

Want to know what really promotes good, healthy debate? Bringing a Mr Coffee, fresh ground beans, and encouraging the armed campus police to drop off for a hot cup. Then they can walk your students to their vehicles, which could not ever have a firearm in them.

You'd be surprised how much great conversation that inspires.

RoyGBiv
02-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Columbine survivor turned state legislator introduces bill allowing teachers to carry guns saying it would have stopped the attack

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3463505/Columbine-survivor-turned-state-legislator-introduces-bill-allowing-teachers-carry-guns-claims-friends-alive-today-law-passed-shooting.html#ixzz41ElDScVl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

GRV
02-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Jon Snow knows nothing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea, what a bastard :p

BehindBlueI's
02-27-2016, 05:14 PM
I was a college professor in Texas for 6 years. What chills debate is the climate of mistrust and/or condescension from the college administrators, not the presence or absence of firearms.

Want to know what really promotes good, healthy debate? Bringing a Mr Coffee, fresh ground beans, and encouraging the armed campus police to drop off for a hot cup. Then they can walk your students to their vehicles, which could not ever have a firearm in them.

You'd be surprised how much great conversation that inspires.

I am not a campus cop, but I am easily lured by coffee and/or pastries.

SeriousStudent
02-27-2016, 09:10 PM
I am not a campus cop, but I am easily lured by coffee and/or pastries.

On mid-term and final exam days, I brought home-made sausage biscuits as a reward for my students.

Strangely enough, we had a heavy police presence those days as well..... Hmmmmmm......