PDA

View Full Version : HK P2000 - between back strap sizes (M and L)

rdtompki
02-24-2016, 08:30 AM
I've got two P2000 V2s for HD/SD and the occasional IDPA match. I'm between back strap sizes and looking for some suggestions and feedback from others who experienced this.

Most of my shooting is with a 3 lb. trigger 9mm 1911, but I'm working hard to gain proficiency with the LEM trigger. I've noticed that at speed I have a tendency to hit left of center which I can mitigate with a stronger support hand grip making sure my thumb is forward and in good contact with the frame; this enters into the back strap selection as does the fact that the trigger is fairly long.

M Back Strap - not quite enough room for my palm. I'm going to put a Talon grip on one of my guns with this back strap. The Talon grip is thin, but it might be enough to make a difference. I'll also note that with this grip I found I need to use both index finger and thumb to drop the mag - can't get to the release with just my index finger.

L Back Strap - plenty of room for my palm. Relaxed trigger is a pretty good reach which may contribute to the left of center hits. I can easily hit the mag release with index finger. I'm thinking about slightly reducing the size of one of my "L" back straps, but I'm a bit concerned about loosing all the texture.

I'm headed to the range today with both guns and see how I shoot each, particularly regarding the left of center hits. I do think that a bit more finger on the trigger compared to my 1911 might put less torque on the gun. I won't make a final decision until I put a Talon grip on the "M"-configured gun, but I'd welcome any suggestions

NCmtnman
02-24-2016, 08:58 AM
I dealt with almost the exact situation you are experiencing in that I hit left at 15-25 yards and I didn't have enough room for my support hand palm. I also used to run talon grips....used to. The reason for dumping them was it added thickness to the weapon and during a high round count class (1750+), the edge of the talon grip was rubbing my fingers raw.

As for hitting left, the V2 isn't like your 1911 trigger. You most likely need more finger on the trigger to help with pushing but without seeing your placement it is hard to say. For me with the medium strap I still hit slightly left when actually running the gun. Two people told me to put more finger on the trigger and it was not until I moved to a larger backstrap that it actually worked. The larger backstrap also allowed me to get a better grip with my support hand. I too thought the large backstrap needed to be trimmed down but I never took the effort. Try it out by taking the sharp hump off the back but I would start small.

I would try using your middle finger for magazine changes on the P2000. For the life of me I could not get the paddle to work well when using my trigger finger because the paddle is smaller on these guns. I used the pinch method as well as only using my middle finger. Yes, the larger backstrap assisted with allowing room to manipulate the paddle release. On the other hand, a P30 is very easy to manipulate with the trigger finger.

jc000
02-24-2016, 09:03 AM
Not sure of your level of experience but here are some quick thoughts from another P2000 LEM owner:

I have medium hands and use the smallest backstrap. A GM I know has quite large hands and always uses the smallest backstrap on whichever gun he uses. My support hand surrounds the gun, but I probably don't have a ton of palm on the grip. Just putting it out there, YMMV.
With a thumbs-forward grip, are you applying pressure against the frame or just resting your thumbs there? I wouldn't advocate any thumb pressure against the frame.
Try using your strong hand middle finger for the mag release. Index finger works for me at slow speed, but the wheels fall off when I pick up the pace.

Just some ideas – good luck!

M2CattleCo
02-24-2016, 01:24 PM
I always used the Large backstrap when I used a P2000 because it made the grip more like a Glock or a 1911 with an arched MSH.

More finger on the trigger usually helps with the left, and I don't push the frame with my thumbs, that doesn't seem like a viable way to not shoot left.

rdtompki
02-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Based on today's range work I'm going with the "M" for the time being. I can get a decent support hand grip, but I've got to cock my wrist more than with the 1911. My left-side hits seem to be more a function of trigger management than finger position. I was taking alternate shots at fairly wide-spaced targets and as long as I've got the trigger moving (from the second stage) as the sights come up on the target I'm fine. When I don't prepare the trigger in this manner I tend to rush the trigger and left they go. And, yes, that whole support hand thumb pressure thing was a waste of neurons.

Best not-so-rapid fire interval I can achieve and keep the rounds on an 8" plate at 8+ yards is just under .7 seconds, this with hand loads that may be close to factory. In order to do better I'm going to need to recover the trigger right after the shot breaks; I'm probably waiting until the sights are settling back on the target.

Anyway, thanks for all the good input.
Rick