PDA

View Full Version : Fort bend county tx suing wife and children of fallen deputy

HCM
02-24-2016, 01:18 AM
SMH

I know the county is self insured but this is just wrong.

FORT BEND COUNTY SUING WIFE AND CHILDREN OF FALLEN DEPUTY

Fort Bend County is suing the widow and children of a sheriff's deputy who died five years ago in the line of duty.

Deputy J.D. Norsworthy was critically injured December 27, 2010, after swerving to avoid traffic on his way to back up a fellow officer. He hit a tree on FM 762 near Benton Road and flipped his patrol car. Days later, he died.

In the time since Norsworthy's death the county has never tried to recover reimbursement for his medical bills or lost wages. Only now, after Norsworthy's daughter Kaitlyn has settled with the party deemed liable for the wreck, has the county sued Kaitlyn, her brother and her mother.

"Why would you make it even worse? Theres no words for it. It's just wrong," said Kaitlyn Norsworthy.

She was 13 years old when her father was killed. Five years later, Kaitlyn says she still has trouble with PTSD because she and her mother happened to drive up upon the wreck moments after it occurred. The images still haunt her.

"You know, but you don't want to believe it," she said.

According to the suit, Fort Bend claims it "has been deprived" and "is entitled to the first monies paid by any third party." It lists that amount at nearly $300,000.

http://abc13.com/news/fort-bend-county-suing-wife-children-of-fallen-deputy/1215723/

BehindBlueI's
02-24-2016, 01:28 AM
According to the suit, Fort Bend claims it "has been deprived" and "is entitled to the first monies paid by any third party." It lists that amount at nearly $300,000.

"We're obligated to file that suit to make reasonable recovery," said Fort Bend County Judge Bob Hebert.

...what a worthless piece of shit dickbag asshole. Some people don't know the right thing to do when it slaps them in the face. "I'm obligated to..." is right up there with "I was just following orders."

RavenU
02-24-2016, 06:23 AM
Humpf! Norsworthy was a county employee - Yes! He died as a result of an accident he became involved in while he was doing the job. The county should pay the damned medical bills! Too bad Norsworthy wasn't one of Obama's beloved illegals, or poor unfortunate, 'refugees'. Had he been, all of his medical expenses would be taken away from the general Social Security fund, and given to him completely free! (All ya got 'a do is smile and show your bad teeth!)

Ntexwheels
02-24-2016, 06:26 AM
The dictionary should have a picture of Judge Hebert as part of the definition of the term 'dirt bag;!

fixer
02-24-2016, 06:29 AM
BEYOND OUTRAGEOUS.

I'm hoping this story gets more attention and maybe Abbott can step in tell this county to eat a bowl of dicks.

LittleLebowski
02-24-2016, 07:18 AM
Sickening.

Hambo
02-24-2016, 07:26 AM
I am not surprised in the least. People think I'm cynical, but this is what happens in public employment.

voodoo_man
02-24-2016, 07:28 AM
The epitome of paper pushing desk jockies without a modicum of ethics, morals and clearly no intelligence.

The types of people who make these decisions are the ones who are the downfall of every PD.

joshs
02-24-2016, 08:02 AM
...what a worthless piece of shit dickbag asshole. Some people don't know the right thing to do when it slaps them in the face. "I'm obligated to..." is right up there with "I was just following orders."

So you think US judges shouldn't follow the law? The law of subrogation (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subrogation) is pretty clear. You don't get to have insurance and damages for the same wrong.

Hambo
02-24-2016, 10:29 AM
So you think US judges shouldn't follow the law? The law of subrogation (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subrogation) is pretty clear. You don't get to have insurance and damages for the same wrong.

I'd like to hear from an attorney on whether or not your homeowners contract is different from an employment benefit. My employer was self-insured and paid medical claims, but as greedy and unethical as they were, they never sniffed around to see if the guy who fell off his ladder at home sued Ace Hardware over a defective ladder. To me it looks as though county officials saw an opportunity to get money that never would have been reimbursed had the deputy died of a heart attack. Which is consistent with how local governments roll.

BehindBlueI's
02-24-2016, 11:01 AM

When the law leads to injustice, yes, absolutely. If you mechanically enforce the law with no eye for justice and empathy, you are not a cop I want to work with, a prosecutor I want to deal with, or a judge I want to be in front of.

GardoneVT
02-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Barracks Lawyer here.

What's stopping the county from "suing" to satisfy the law, then settle with the family out of court for $1 ?

joshs
02-24-2016, 12:19 PM
When the law leads to injustice, yes, absolutely. If you mechanically enforce the law with no eye for justice and empathy, you are not a cop I want to work with, a prosecutor I want to deal with, or a judge I want to be in front of.

I don't disagree, but I have a very difficult time seeing this as injustice. This happens in almost every case were a person is injured by a tortfeasor and the injured party collects separately from the insurer and the tortfeasor. This case is just making headlines because the county self-insured. Why is it justice for a person to double-collect for the same damages? The tort system exists to make injured plaintiffs "whole," not to have them receive more than the amount of their injury. Insurance premiums are all based on an ex ante calculation of subrogation being available in a certain number of cases. We could have a system without subrogation, but it would require substantially higher insurance premiums.

joshs
02-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Barracks Lawyer here.

What's stopping the county from "suing" to satisfy the law, then settle with the family out of court for $1 ?

The county isn't required to sue by law (although their duty of loyalty as holder of the public's money could be seen as a requirement to recover). Subrogation cases often have really ugly facts, so if they didn't recover every time there are bad facts, they wouldn't be able to self-insure.

pablo
02-24-2016, 01:24 PM
The county did not collect against the deputy's TCDRS account, life insurance or the $250k state payment. There's probably more to this story than the family is letting on. If the county agreed to defer collection if and until the family settled the lawsuit, then the family should pay up. If that's the case and I'm not saying that it is, the next time some guy who makes peanuts (and has peanuts for survivor benefits) dies in the line of duty, his family may take the financial hit up front.

Mitchell, Esq.
02-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Generally speaking you are not permitted to recover twice from the same accident.

Take the example of someone getting injured at work in a car accident.

They file a worker's comp claim with the employer and a personal injury suit against the person who hit them.

Comp pays a certain amount of money and depending on the policy, may have a right to recover that from the PI claim as a lien.

When the PI claim settles, either the money is paid as a lien or the Comp carrier has the right to go after the funds it has paid under the theory that the injured party is not entitled to be paid twice for the same injury.

The jury in the PI case may not be told about the Comp payments because they are generally not informed of other insurance coverage when making the decision on liability or damages because courts do not want juries to say "He's insured, so forget making a decision about liability - just make the insurance company pay!" or "He's uninsured and if he pays he will be ruined!" so they are presented with the full amount of bills and damages and make the award based on that alone.

That means (rough example) if the person suing can claim $100,000 in medical injuries & lost wages, as well as unspecified damages, was paid $30,000 by Comp for his injuries and $40,000 for lost income...and gets a jury verdict of $300,000 then comp has the right to collect its $70,000 from anything collected in the court case.

You aught to see what social security liens are like if you think that is bad.

This is a case in which people are getting to see how the sausage is actually made. It isn't pretty.

Drang
02-24-2016, 01:42 PM
So, what is being suggested here is that the family should have known that they would have to share or pay back some of the award after settlement? Is that correct?

If so, the question becomes, was the family aware of this, or did they sign something without it being made clear to them?

joshs
02-24-2016, 01:53 PM
So, what is being suggested here is that the family should have known that they would have to share or pay back some of the award after settlement? Is that correct?

If so, the question becomes, was the family aware of this, or did they sign something without it being made clear to them?

The decedent likely signed contracts that contained subrogation and indemnity clauses. So, he should have known about them when entering into the contracts. It is the decedent's damages that the family recovered that the county would be able to go after. E.g., medical expenses, lost wages, but not the family's damages (loss of consortium). Even if the county weren't recovering under the contract, they could potentially recover on an unjust enrichment claim. Since unjust enrichment is a legal doctrine, everyone is charged with knowledge of it, and I can't imagine the family's lawyer didn't advise them of this possibility.

HCM
02-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Just to avoid any confusion for those outside Texas, "Judge" Herbert is primarily the county executive / Administrator. The county is run by a board of commissioners known as a Commissioners Court and the county executive who leads the board is known as the "County Judge".

In some counties, the county judge actually exercises judicial functions as a probate and/or county court judge. In other counties they do not.

Mitchell, Esq.
02-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Subrogation is in every insurance policy. You don't notice it because you likely never see it happen unless it is in extraordinary cases.

Neighbor's house burns down and your siding melts. Your insurance pays for the damage then makes a claim against the other guy's insurance which is paid.

The home owner's policy of the house which burned down then makes a claim against the proceeds of the product liability lawsuit the home owner brought with the claim against the defective toaster for the damages they paid to the guy who's house burned down...

And so it goes.

You, with the melted siding, do not notice it because it just happens. All you know is you got a check and your rates did not go up.