View Full Version : Night Sight Differences

MadMax17
10-11-2011, 05:37 PM
All,

Just curious as to what you think about these different night sights:

-Warren/Sevigny Carry 2 dot
-Heine Straight Eight
-XS 24/7 Big Dot

It will be for a carry G19. Mostly coming down to the Warren or Heine, as the XS seems a little radical for me, but I don't know. Would love to hear what you all think.

Thanks,
Max

orionz06
10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Both the Warren and Heine sights have great reputations. The big dot sights have never appeared to live up to their claims.

Long tom coffin
10-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Both the Warren and Heine sights have great reputations. The big dot sights have never appeared to live up to their claims.

If you are looking for a two dot set up, which is what I prefer, I'd also put the Ameriglo I-dot Pro's on that short list. I've found that the glaring orange outline on the front sight combined with the dimmer yellow dot on the rear sight offers all the advantages that the Big dots purport to offer and then some.

I ran with the Big dots on my Gen 4 19 for quite some time, to the tune of 4500 hundred rounds or so. I didn't really suffer from any of the accuracy issues that other people seem to have with them (I was hitting paper plates out to 25 yards no problems), but the way the sights were designed were inducing other problems that I just couldn't get over, so I jettisoned them. I think it was connected to the way the rear sight was designed; whenever I had a hard front sight focus, I saw the gun double. This didn't happen when I was target focused, or with other 2-dot or three dot setups. Another big problem was sometimes when I was doing the same, I wouldn't see the gun double, but the weird interplay between my eyesight and the rear sight would make the tritium vial in the rear sight appear to be slightly off center, when it actually wasn't. If I closed my left eye, the tritium vial would be perfectly centered and the dot would rest perfectly in the V. If I was firing under timer or stress and accidentally tried to compensate, my shots would start walking to the left at about 10 yards, both eyes open. Sighting systems, especially ones that claim to be the simplest on the planet, shouldn't be that hard to operate.

F-Trooper05
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Heinies for me. I would like Ameriglos better if they were serrated. Shooting them with your back to the sun sucks IMO.