PDA

View Full Version : Don't ignore the belt!

GardoneVT
02-19-2016, 12:54 PM
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y528/GardoneVT/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxyckyx5f.jpeg

Top: Brand new Galco gun belt.
Bottom: Worn out 3 year old reinforced gun belt.

Peally
02-19-2016, 02:32 PM
The random 5.11 tactical belt I've been wearing for like 5 years still hasn't bent a bit ;)

GardoneVT
02-19-2016, 02:45 PM
The random 5.11 tactical belt I've been wearing for like 5 years still hasn't bent a bit ;)

Unfortunately , they don't go together well with business attire.:(

Peally
02-19-2016, 02:47 PM
True! I dress like I'm going for a light hike for work.

SAWBONES
02-19-2016, 03:01 PM
They all do that.

Leather belts all become spontaneously "contoured" after consistent use, whether made by Alessi, Sparks or anybody else.
None of mine have worn out, however, and some are twenty years old and all are used regularly.

peterb
02-19-2016, 03:19 PM
You're right. A belt that's made to fit a cone instead of a cylinder will look curved when stretched out flat.

vcdgrips
02-19-2016, 03:57 PM
What size is the bent one?

SLG
02-19-2016, 04:08 PM
What makes the bottom belt worn out?

theJanitor
02-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Don't some of the more expensive belts come with that bend built in? I seem to recall seeing pictures (here? somewhere else? I don't know) of new leather belts that had a similar shape.

yes, you can order belts with the contour already built in. Sometimes with belts that are really wide, building the contour into the belt makes it more comfortable

GardoneVT
02-19-2016, 04:57 PM
What makes the bottom belt worn out?
I was under the impression once the belt took on a "U" shape, it was toast.

The one I had previous to the bottom one was a WalMart Chinese special that warped like a Chicago Alderman's moral compass after my first two months of carrying consistently (a police surplus 4506!). So the bottom belt is still G2G despite the bend?

It's a 34 size.

HopetonBrown
02-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Galco makes some contoured.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/cb3-concealable-contour-belt_8_254_1050.html

https://www.galcogunleather.com/uimages/product_images/belts/CB3_silver_b.jpg

JAD
02-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Yes. Now you have two belts.

I was able to tear a Hellweg horsehide belt after 15 years, but by and large you can't wear q good gun belt out.

vcdgrips
02-19-2016, 05:41 PM
All joking aside (and if that belt were a 36, I would take it off your hands), that "bent" one looks to be 2ply sew leather. I strongly suspect you will tire of it well before you can wear it out.

SLG
02-19-2016, 05:43 PM
So the bottom belt is still G2G despite the bend?

Absolutely. Now it is broken in.

LOKNLOD
02-19-2016, 05:44 PM
I've only had one belt that didn't take a slight curve. It was so stiff it sat awkwardly on my hip bones. I sold it.

orionz06
02-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Bottom belt is just now broken in.

Paltares8
02-19-2016, 08:05 PM
I'm in the market for a new belt, preferably a good gun belt, but after checking some sites I found that many are out of my price range. I really can't justify spending more than $30-40 on one, especially if it doesn't last for years. Any recommendations? I've seen that Alien Gear is offering $15 off a belt when you buy a holster, but I'd really prefer a smaller AIWB holster, although I've heard tremendous things about theres. I've just gone through too many walmart and other cheapo belts in the past and it'd be nice to get something that'll last without breaking the bank

baddean
02-19-2016, 08:19 PM
I have two 5 stitch Wilderness Instructor belts I've worn for several
years now. Black and Tan. EDC with pistol mag carrier and light. Range
sessions and teaching classes so they get used a lot and I've
yet to wear one of these out. IMHO they are well worth the money.

Talionis
02-19-2016, 08:22 PM
A quality gunbelt will start its life with a curve. My Milt Sparks sharkskin came as you see it, and will look about like that for decades. I know this because the man who made me the belt showed me the one like it he has been wearing for 20 years. The curve is important in a stiff belt. This one is the most comfortable belt I've worn, in addition to being dressy enough for a suit and stiff enough for any kind of carry without shifting.

SLG
02-19-2016, 08:28 PM
All good belts come this way. The ones that don't still end up this way, just the curve is a little more of a kink. There is at least another thread that already deals with this, in case anyone wants to search for it.

GardoneVT
02-19-2016, 08:45 PM
I'm in the market for a new belt, preferably a good gun belt, but after checking some sites I found that many are out of my price range. I really can't justify spending more than $30-40 on one, especially if it doesn't last for years. Any recommendations? I've seen that Alien Gear is offering $15 off a belt when you buy a holster, but I'd really prefer a smaller AIWB holster, although I've heard tremendous things about theres. I've just gone through too many walmart and other cheapo belts in the past and it'd be nice to get something that'll last without breaking the bank

Those Walmart fashion pant holders aren't made to hold up a firearm + other accoutrements, a fact I witnessed firsthand at my range. The combination of weak fashion belt + leather holster+Glock pistol+ inexperienced student= pressurized sphincter. All kinds of bad things happen when a pistol and holster are attached to a thin fashion belt.

M2CattleCo
02-19-2016, 09:43 PM
I wear a reinforced Wilderness most every day. If not, then it's a good belt made by a saddle maker in Waco. Not made as a gunbelt, but is stiffer than most and works great. The last one he made me got worn pretty regular for ten years before I switched to Wilderness. I have a Wilderness that's carried a gun most every day since '08 and it's still in great condition.

BehindBlueI's
02-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Don't some of the more expensive belts come with that bend built in? I seem to recall seeing pictures (here? somewhere else? I don't know) of new leather belts that had a similar shape.

Maybe I'm misremembering. If so, never mind. :)

As shown, several belts are shaped like a bow (as in bow and arrow). My Red Nichols made belt is shaped like a recurve bow, and it's the best belt I've ever used. It's not as thick as the bull belt but holds the pistol as securely. It's also the *only* one I can get in and out of my car with all my assorted cop gizmos on my belt without having to hike it back up. The way it curves over your hips works very well.

Tamara
02-19-2016, 11:22 PM
Love my curved Milt Sparks belt.

1slow
02-20-2016, 12:25 AM
Started with Sparks holsters and curved belts in 1980. Best leather belt I have had really like the shark.

Lomshek
02-20-2016, 01:39 AM

A good belt WILL last for years. Spending $60 - $100 for a reinforced quality gun belt will be worth it. If you want a relatively cheap and incredibly solid belt get the Wilderness Tactical CSM (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/913510/wilderness-tactical-csm-instructor-belt-1-3-4-nylon). The downside is it doesn't look like a dress belt.

I haven't used them but have heard good things about Beltman.

mtnbkr
02-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Both my 15yo Rafter S Gunleather belt (brown sharkskin) and my 5yo Beltman black bullhide-with-internal-stiffener belt have that curve and continue to hold my guns (up to and including a 5.5" Redhawk) fine. Both belts are 1.5"

I even wear the Beltman belt with my suits (when I'm forced to wear a suit).

Chris

LSP552
02-21-2016, 11:22 AM

Maybe I'm misremembering. If so, never mind. :)

Yes. That's one of the many reasons I love Milt Sparks belts.

11B10
02-21-2016, 12:40 PM
A good belt WILL last for years. Spending $60 - $100 for a reinforced quality gun belt will be worth it. If you want a relatively cheap and incredibly solid belt get the Wilderness Tactical CSM (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/913510/wilderness-tactical-csm-instructor-belt-1-3-4-nylon). The downside is it doesn't look like a dress belt.

I haven't used them but have heard good things about Beltman.

This ^^^^ and before I got the Wilderness belt (strongly recommend the frequent flyer model - read on). I wore a Hank's Amish belt, every day, for 2+ years. Now, I rotate them. I have a total of $68.00 invested in them. I can't imagine it's possible to wear out the Hank's belt - but the buckle just LOVES metal detectors.

peterb
02-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on Hank's. I just got one of their seconds -- have to see how it holds up, but looks like good deal for $20.
http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks-ltp-gunner-belt.html
Not contoured.

okie john
02-24-2016, 07:31 PM
I have a double-weight horsehide Kramer belt that finally took a bend after about 10 years of wearing it 16 hours a day with a Colt 1911 and two spare mags. Still good as new but looks a little rough.

Okie John