PDA

View Full Version : headaches after shooting?

JRas
10-11-2011, 03:31 AM
a few times I've came back from the range with massive headaches.

I've been thinking my eye/ear protection isn't adequate. I usually use foam plugs and more recently Surefire EarPros. I've used a friends Winchester over the ear style and never had headaches. I've used saftey goggles from work but I've been thinking about tinted so I'm not constantly squinting outside.

What do you guys use, recommend?

JM Campbell
10-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Hydration,hydration,hydration. Squinting can also cause that so tinted eyepro is a must too IMO. I have also found if plugs are pushed to far into ear canal it causes too much pressure and a disorienting feeling, that is why I have switch to elect ear pro and haven't looked back. It feels more natural to me since I still here what is going on around me and still have noise protection.

Just my personal observations.

peterb
10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
The correct way to insert foam earplugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA

I've had headaches from glasses temples that were too tight.

Have you had an eye exam recently?

Take breaks to stretch, especially neck & shoulders. It's easy to become a big knot of tension when you're concentrating hard.

KevH
10-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I've used MSA Sordin ear protection for years and have no complaints.

I only use foam ear plugs in a pinch or when wingshooting. I think you'd be better served by a $25 set of Silencio ear muffs from a local sporting goods store.

peterb
10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Wear muffs over plugs whenever possible.. They both add protection.

TAZ
10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
The SureFire plugs give me a headache as well. The ONLY place where they don't is if I'm in the field. If I get under anything that can amplify/bounce sounds like a metal awning at the range I get a huge headache. They just aren't sufficient protection. I went with a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs and haven't looked back. Cant afford the Sordins :(. Drink a lot of water and don't forget to blink and breathe. I have seen people hold their breath through a whole mag and wonder why they get tired so fast.

Al T.
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I usually use foam plugs and more recently Surefire EarPros. I've used a friends Winchester over the ear style and never had headaches

Clue. :)

I do use electronic ear pro and highly recommend it.