PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Entry Shields

MD7305
02-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Got asked today about shields as the PD is looking to order a couple. This is totally out of my lane but I know some guys here have knowledge in this and I'd like to tap it. I know we will be limited to only a couple brands that are on our state bid contract. Not sure what they are yet, I know ProTech and Paraclete for sure. These shields won't be for a dedicated tactical team since we have none. These will likely be for search warrant type deals or anything hasty patrol guys might need a shield for. We use Ford Interceptor Utilities so room is plenty. Sizes I've seen are 36"x24". How important are windows and lights on a shield? I know training would be paramount and would be instituted but this is very preliminary, a very last minute "what shield should we get" type thing. Offers to get this type of gear at my PD are unheard of so we wanna do it right. Any info is appreciated, hit me up with a PM if anything might be OpSec sensitive. Thanks!

voodoo_man
02-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Got asked today about shields as the PD is looking to order a couple. This is totally out of my lane but I know some guys here have knowledge in this and I'd like to tap it. I know we will be limited to only a couple brands that are on our state bid contract. Not sure what they are yet, I know ProTech and Paraclete for sure. These shields won't be for a dedicated tactical team since we have none. These will likely be for search warrant type deals or anything hasty patrol guys might need a shield for. We use Ford Interceptor Utilities so room is plenty. Sizes I've seen are 36"x24". How important are windows and lights on a shield? I know training would be paramount and would be instituted but this is very preliminary, a very last minute "what shield should we get" type thing. Offers to get this type of gear at my PD are unheard of so we wanna do it right. Any info is appreciated, hit me up with a PM if anything might be OpSec sensitive. Thanks!

There are lots of different types...

Mainstream shields are protech and safariland (which I think owns protech? might be wrong)

I've done some fingerbanging of united shield internationals shields, pretty good stuff but I have never shot it or tested it in real world stuff.

pablo
02-18-2016, 08:51 PM
If your agency isn't willing to spend money on replacing batteries every 6 months to a year, don't bother with the lights. They usually end up being dead weight since batteries stop holding a charge in short order.

Make sure the shield has bumpers on all 4 corners, they will get banged around and start to delaminate at the edges if they don't have the bumpers. Our first shields were Safariland, were delaminated and ruined in 4 months.

We did get two big rifle rated shields on casters that weight about 100lbs each. They are a bitch to transport around but have turned out to be really useful. Most of our shield use is fairly static and they get treated like portable cover, since very few guys are in good enough shape to move effectively with one. The wheels make them easier to use and they stand up on their own.

MD7305
02-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys!

Lon
02-18-2016, 09:27 PM
What level are you looking at getting?

We have a couple of 3a blankets (4'x8') available to patrol, a level 3a shield and a level 4 shield. SWAT has more shields and blankets. The 4 shields we have and others I've seen are heavy. Comes with the nature of the rating. Our level 4 has the light. Ths light is a PITA. Annual (at least) training on their use are paramount. Getting the guys to be comfortable with them will make them much more likely to use them. Can't remember off the top of my head what brand they are, but I think ProTech. I'll try to remember to take a look tomorrow.

MD7305
02-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Thanks, level IIIa is what we're looking at.

ST911
02-18-2016, 11:52 PM
The short version: Check out Pete Segreti's HMLP NYPD ESU variant from United Shield. Lightweight, fast handling, portable and manageable by knuckle-draggers and IBOs alike. Superb execution. If it's not on your state or contract pricing, buy it anyway.

http://www.att-tactical.com/att_ballistics_hmlp_shield.html
http://us.unitedshield.com/

You need a window, and need to protect it from scratches and impacts. Users of the shield will want a WML, and a light on the shield can be handy.

Read this: https://www.hendonpub.com/law_and_order/articles/2008/10/ballistic_shields_tactics
Attend this: http://strategosintl.com/courses/ballistic-shield-training-operations-and-deployment/

If you have a trained shield user or instructor available, hit the range and shoot house with as many shield variants as possible. The herd thins out pretty fast.

Chuck Haggard
02-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Level IIIa shields have very limited usefulness in real life, this is coming from a guy who drove a shied for a lot of years.

Most places buy shields that are WAY too fookin big and heavy, and then have zero or crappy training on how to use them. Hint, if the training involves anything remotely close to what you typically see with guys rubber arming their gun around the side of the shield to shoot in half to full gangster then it's bullshit.

Pete, noted above, is a no BS true SME on the subject of shields and shield training. Anything he had a hand in is GTG. I've trained with him several times, he's a wealth of knowledge and a good dude in general.

Have a light on the shield. Don't buy one that requires recharging.

Chuck Whitlock
02-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Level IIIa shields have very limited usefulness in real life, this is coming from a guy who drove a shied for a lot of years.

Most places buy shields that are WAY too fookin big and heavy, and then have zero or crappy training on how to use them. Hint, if the training involves anything remotely close to what you typically see with guys rubber arming their gun around the side of the shield to shoot in half to full gangster then it's bullshit.

The above had me eyeballing the Baker Batshield when I was eyeballing that kind of stuff. Any experiences/opinions?

SLG
02-21-2016, 02:58 PM
I've used the Bat Shield a little bit, and the Segreti shield not at all, so I can't really comment on them.

I have taught shield use to some of the same guys that Segreti did though, and have used shields (as little as possible) over the years.

I hate shields, and I hate the mentality that usually comes with them. There are times though, when what you really need is a shield. Lights are almost a must, but as noted above, without proper PM, they just become dead weight. A window is also a must, but it really needs to be protected and babied, or you will end up shooting a guy with a cell phone instead of a gun, if you get my drift.

Shield's really do require a bunch of other stuff and training to use correctly. A helmet, eyepro, gloves, and a great pistol shooter are all requirements as far as I am concerned. Laser sights are nice too. A strong guy, who doesn't flinch easily is pretty much a requirement to me as well. If you don't have that stuff, then I'm sure they can still be useful, but you are asking for problems.

If you want to do real downed officer retrieval stuff, and you don't have an armored vehicle, then double the above requirements and add some talented long gun shooters as well.

Shields often look like easy solutions to LE management, but they are among the most difficult things to use well. We haven't even gotten into tactics yet.

MD7305
02-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. I wholeheartedly agree that training is a must. Our DTF has recently been including us on their activities and they're trying to get us up to speed gear-wise and that's where this originates. I think it's awesome I'm just admittedly not real informed on shields but I'd love to learn more. You guys are pointing me in the right directions. That Strategos course looks great and I know from experience that they're a good outfit.

Chuck Haggard
02-21-2016, 05:48 PM
The above had me eyeballing the Baker Batshield when I was eyeballing that kind of stuff. Any experiences/opinions?

Not a fan of the Batshield, especially that model they show attached to the long gun like the shooter is not some sort of mini tank.

One thing shields can do really well if gunfire is not called for is beat the shit out of people who try to grab the shield guy. Can't do that with a soft shield.

Dave Williams
02-21-2016, 07:35 PM
Bob Taubert's book Rattenkrieg! has an interesting chapter on shield use FYI.