PDA

View Full Version : 9mm LCR

SteveB
02-17-2016, 10:32 PM
I like moon clips. I had both my 442 and 340 cut for moon clips, but the idea of a 9mm snubbie always intrigued me. I shoot lots of 9, and the short-barrel ballistics are hard to beat compared to .38's. And, moon clips. At the LGS today, I bumped into a used Ruger LCR 9mm, and got to compare it to the .38 and .357 versions. Two things were apparent. First, the 9mm version is roughly the same weight as the .357, as they have steel frames instead of the much lighter aluminum .38 frame. Second, the front sight was shorter on the 9mm. I had heard about regulation issues with 9mm snubbies, and had read about the LCR 9 shooting 5-6" low up close. But the gun looked brand new, and it was a screaming deal, so off we went.

At the range, I shot Federal HST, both 124 +P and 147. Groups were well centered both at 7 and 15 yards. I've been a bit of an S&W snob, but this cheap-ass Ruger shoots as well as any of my J-frames. Recoil is a bit snappy with the +P, but nothing like a .357, and I was shooting little clusters with the 147's. The trigger was a surprise; not light but smooth and easy to shoot well. It weighs 17.1 oz on my scale, and has a comfortable, but bulky, rubber grip. I'll fool around with grips, and we'll see how it holds up, but my first impression is positive.

Al T.
02-18-2016, 06:43 AM
Recoil is a bit snappy with the +P,

Recoil is the only issue I've had customers mention with this chambering, nice to hear that it's not that bad.

ravensfan87
02-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Glad you picked one up. I have been thinking of getting one for awhile now. Just haven't found a good deal yet. Let us know how it does on the next trip.