PDA

View Full Version : P2000: support hand thumb mag release during changes?

rdtompki
02-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Primarily a 9mm 1911 shooter (competition), but needing to improve my manipulation of my 9mm P2000 HD/SD gun especially with a class coming up. I'm not finding dropping the mag with any of my strong hand digits working very well; middle finger works but still requires a grip shift. Does anyone out there use their support hand thumb to sweep the mag release as they go for the new mag? I don't have to change my strong hand grip at all with this method. FWIW I do have the larger mag release.

I don't have particularly large hands, but I find when using the index finger or thumb on strong hand the heel of my palm can interfere with the mag dropping. I could train out of this I suppose and will try a larger back strap, but this isn't something you want to have happen at an inopportune time. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Rick

Cincinnatus
02-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Stock mag release or one off a 45C?
I actually prefer a sight grip shift for the reload on the P2000 using stronghand thumb and forefinger, so as not to inadvertently trigger the mag release during firing.

breakingtime91
02-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Strong hand thumb. Use my support hand to turn the gun so my thumb reaches

rdtompki
02-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Stock mag release or one off a 45C?
I actually prefer a sight grip shift for the reload on the P2000 using stronghand thumb and forefinger, so as not to inadvertently trigger the mag release during firing.
45C. I played around with thumb and index finger combo tonight and I like the control that I can retain. Also, this gives me clearance between the mag base pad and my palm.

SteveB
02-18-2016, 07:21 AM
P2000 with 45C mag release. Years of strong thumb/push button release imprinting made me think I'd never get the hang of this and tried a variety of techniques. I don't like the idea of using the support hand to drop the mag; it's doing other important stuff during the reload. I learned to do this with the strong index (trigger) finger; it's just muscle memory.

LSP972
02-18-2016, 07:45 AM
I don't like the idea of using the support hand to drop the mag; it's doing other important stuff during the reload. I learned to do this with the strong index (trigger) finger; it's just muscle memory.

This. Most folks coming from years of using the JMB type mag release will find it alien and difficult to accomplish. Just like the LEM trigger, it takes some work to learn it. Once you do, you're likely to not want to "go back".

That said... there are some folks whose hand shape/size simply is not conducive to the trigger finger release. My wife is one; she uses both thumb and trigger finger.

But using the off hand to assist... bad idea, IMO. For several reasons.

wsr
02-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Strong hand middle finger.

Wondering Beard
02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
[...] but still requires a grip shift. [...]
Rick

Is that such a bad thing?

Unless you are using your P2000 in competition where you need to milk every fraction of a second, I'm not so sure that shifting your grip a little (is it a little or is it a lot so that it makes it really hard to regrip your pistol properly?) is a real problem since you are already using a bunch of time reaching for and bringing up your spare mag (from concealment).

With my VP9, I use either my strong hand thumb or my middle finger and I do shift the gun some, but it's fully properly regripped by the time the spare mag is pushed home. It probably would cost me in competition but I don't know that it really matters that much for a CCW pistol.

rdtompki
02-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Is that such a bad thing?....
I don't think it is, but the grip rotation I need to use, for example, my index finger isn't as secure as I would like. When I use both thumb and index finger I find I still have a good hold of the gun, can reload and then get a proper grip on the gun as I close with my support hand.

Since I don't currently shoot IDPA I don't need a lightning reload, but I'm looking for the manipulation that naturally returns both hand to a proper grip. I can certainly see where that support hand thumb approach would be wiring in really bad muscle memory.

The Apprentice
02-18-2016, 05:10 PM
I use my trigger finger it only requires a small shift of my grip and find I return to my grip easier and more consistently then using the thumb or middle finger. The only gun I have ever managed to shoot that didnt require a shift was the ppq with the paddle release. So I've accepted the fact that my dwarf hads will just have to adjust.

Wondering Beard
02-18-2016, 05:18 PM
It does sound like you may need to play around with the backstraps (are there side panels with the P2000?) and the size the mag release paddles.

I'm not sure what you mean by your index finger not being as secure.

rdtompki
02-18-2016, 11:54 PM
.... I'm not sure what you mean by your index finger not being as secure.

I probably wasn't being clear. With the medium backstrap I have to move my hand a great deal to actuate the mag release with my index finger.

I change this evening to the large backstrap and I can pretty easily use my index finger and can't use the the thumb/index. The large backstrap probably gives me a better grip overall, but the additional swell in the backstrap has me cocking my wrist a good deal more; not a bad thing, but very different feel from my 1911s. I'll try the large backstrap tomorrow at the range, but I suspect it will be fine.

NCmtnman
02-19-2016, 10:33 AM
I never could hit the release with my trigger finger as the button was not placed easily for me. My technique was a thumb and middle finger pinch or only my middle finger. Typically having gloves on would dictate using both fingers for reliability sake and securing the weapon. A grip shift will occur but I found this to be less so with a P30. I have never used the 45c release so YMMV.

On the backstrap, I went to the large and had better follow up shots and better trigger finger placement. It allowed me to bury my finger in the trigger guard and have a reliable placement every time. You can always shave down the rubber "hump" with a file to eliminate the sharp edge.

11B10
02-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Strong hand thumb. Use my support hand to turn the gun so my thumb reaches

I was ready to sell my G 30 S until someone showed me this ^^^^. It is so subtle, yet so effective.

rdtompki
02-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Ran quite a few rounds through the gun today with the large back strap - no problem using index finger for dropping the mag. I'm concentrating on double taps, mag changes and transitions. It's amazing how spoiled one gets shooting a 9mm 1911 with a 3 lb. trigger. I'm not feeling much recoil with the H&K, but I find I need a good support hand grip, particularly my left thumb below slide, to avoid having left of center hits. I also need to experiment with trigger finger placement.