PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Plated Bullets

Mitch
02-16-2016, 11:31 PM
I'm thinking about switching to plated bullets from FMJs to save some $/per round. I don't see a lot of load data out there for plated bullets. What do people here do, go with hard cast lead data? Start on the low end of FMJ data, work up slow and watch for pressure signs?

JM Campbell
02-17-2016, 12:16 AM
I've been using this outfit for a few years, local Texas company.

Here is a link to their facts page it will answer some of your questions.

http://precisionbullets.com/faq/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
02-17-2016, 12:20 AM
If we're talking pistol bullets, I just load them at about 75% max of FMJ loads and have never had problems. If you're talking rifle, outside my area of experience.

Mitch
02-17-2016, 12:24 AM
If we're talking pistol bullets, I just load them at about 75% max of FMJ loads and have never had problems. If you're talking rifle, outside my area of experience.

Sorry should have been more specific, just talking pistol ammo here.

Slavex
02-17-2016, 05:16 AM
In 9mm all I have shot for the last 6 years is CamPro plated. They are thicker than most other plated bullets, and I use the same load data as I would for jacketed.

GMSweet
02-17-2016, 05:42 AM
Berry's HBTP (hollow base thick plated) have been tested to 1500fps in some loads according to the manufacturer. I've had no problem running close to max loads (still minor power though) with either the Berry's or Xtreme JHPs. I buy either depending on cost and availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JV_
02-17-2016, 06:13 AM
Start on the low end of FMJ data, work up slow and watch for pressure signs?That's what I do. I've been pretty happy with Rainier and Berry bullets.

LSP552
02-17-2016, 08:18 AM
That's what I do. I've been pretty happy with Rainier and Berry bullets.

Same here. I've put a lot of Ranier bullets down range from Glocks and SIGs, no problem with either.

Urban_Redneck
02-19-2016, 08:47 AM
For a starting load, split the difference between cast and jacketed bullet data., i.e. if cast data says 3.2gr and jacketed is 3.8, 3.5gr is a good place to start.

Talionis
02-19-2016, 11:02 AM
You might also want to consider coated bullets. I made the switch to them from plated shortly after I started competing seriously and couldn't be happier. In my comparison with plated bullets they were: cheaper, more accurate, slightly higher velocity for the same charge, and more available. I mostly only care about the price and accuracy, given the volume I shoot and the need for precision.

Full disclosure. I shot enough of them and liked them enough to accept a sponsorship from my local manufacturer. Leatherhead Bullets is a great place to look, and offer some good bulk discounts. One nice thing about coated bullets is that there is probably a manufacturer near your area, so you may be able to avoid shipping costs if going that route.

punkey71
02-19-2016, 11:51 AM
You might also want to consider coated bullets. I made the switch to them from plated shortly after I started competing seriously and couldn't be happier. In my comparison with plated bullets they were: cheaper, more accurate, slightly higher velocity for the same charge, and more available. I mostly only care about the price and accuracy, given the volume I shoot and the need for precision.

Full disclosure. I shot enough of them and liked them enough to accept a sponsorship from my local manufacturer. Leatherhead Bullets is a great place to look, and offer some good bulk discounts. One nice thing about coated bullets is that there is probably a manufacturer near your area, so you may be able to avoid shipping costs if going that route.

Agreed on the coated.

While I'm sure Leatherhead is fine, I've no experience with them.

I have used thebluebullets.com for about 18 months. Ordering in bulk (10% off for 10K + rounds) brings them to less than 7 cents for 147s if memory serves me.

Worth a look at coated, imho. I'm under 10 cents a finished round using coated.

olstyn
02-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Another vote for coated if you're trying to save $. Last I recall, plated usually ran about 9-10 cents/bullet and jacketed was 10.something cents/bullet, whereas plated is more like 7 cents per. The only reason I'm still running jacketed is that for the second year in a row, the prize table at the MN Sectional USPSA match had a $100 gift cert to Montana Gold for me, which brought the cost of jacketed down to ~7 cents/bullet for the case I ordered this winter. When I run through my current stock of jacketed, I'll be ordering a sample pack or two of plated options to try and then selecting a "permanent" choice from them, presuming my gun likes them.

taadski
02-19-2016, 02:27 PM

Some make mention of issues with some of the faster burning powders (titegroup for example) with coated boolits. Any sentiments there?

I've been loading Berry's plated for the last number of years but wouldn't mind exploring other options.

t

Trooper224
02-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Some make mention of issues with some of the faster burning powders (titegroup for example) with coated boolits. Any sentiments there?

I've been loading Berry's plated for the last number of years but wouldn't mind exploring other options.

t

I've found Titegroup to be a bit too hot for use with coated bullets. I'd get a build up of the polymer coating at the muzzle end of the barrel.

dsa
02-19-2016, 05:46 PM

t

The way it was explained to me was that Titegroup burns at a higher temperature, I notice more smoke with Titegroup and coated bullets compared to other powders. I really don't notice it except during early mornings or late afternoons when the sun is low in the sky and there is little wind. I have not experienced the coating build up at the muzzle that Trooper224 mentioned (I primarily shoot .45, so that issue may not be as prevalent in .45 as other calibers).

punkey71
02-19-2016, 06:09 PM
The way it was explained to me was that Titegroup burns at a higher temperature, I notice more smoke with Titegroup and coated bullets compared to other powders. I really don't notice it except during early mornings or late afternoons when the sun is low in the sky and there is little wind. I have not experienced the coating build up at the muzzle that Trooper224 mentioned (I primarily shoot .45, so that issue may not be as prevalent in .45 as other calibers).

This has been my experience as well. A little smoke compared to plated but no build up noticeable.

3.2 Titegroup over a Bluebullet 147 to 1.15 OAL

I do remember some earlier lead bullets with coatings NOT recommending Titegroup but the newer coatings I've seen don't carry that same warning.

ranger
02-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Another vote for coated - I use Bayou Bullets in 9mm and 40. Using WSF (and Bullesye when I ran out of WSF) for 9mm and Clays for 40 minor.

Talionis
02-19-2016, 08:12 PM

t

dsa is my bullet guru, glad he chimed in on this, I hate reloading so I pretty much just do what he recommends. I use a different powder than TG (because it's cheaper, consistent, and available), but I have several pretty high level shooting buddies who do. They tend to use whatever coated bullets they can get cheapest at the time with it. Reports are that it is a bit smokier than some other powders, but nothing bad. For me, smoke has to be really bad for it to distract me from the sights or the target, and I suspect it's the same for them. If you're more sensitive to something like that then it might not be the best combo of bullet and powder.

JV_
02-19-2016, 08:31 PM
If you shoot indoors and do things like Bill Drills, the added smokiness can be noticeable.

If I had to do it all over, I'd just do plated or jacketed bullets because they're not powder sensitive like the coated bullets can be. In times powder shortages, being more flexible on powders is a plus.

Talionis
02-19-2016, 08:49 PM
If you shoot indoors and do things like Bill Drills, the added smokiness can be noticeable.

If I had to do it all over, I'd just do plated or jacketed bullets because they're not powder sensitive like the coated bullets can be. In times powder shortages, being more flexible on powders is a plus.

I guess. I do both of those things, as well as shooting into the sun early in the morning and late in the day. I've noticed smoke on video, and once I'm done shooting. Just not something that registered at the time I guess. Of course, I see plenty of smoke from dudes running plated or jacketed too. Not sure I could tell the difference.

olstyn
02-20-2016, 12:04 AM
I'll be ordering a sample pack or two of plated options to try and then selecting a "permanent" choice from them, presuming my gun likes them.

Quoting myself because I wanted to correct an error: I meant to say I'll be ordering sample packs of coated bullets, not plated. Sorry for any confusion I caused. :(

Urban_Redneck
02-20-2016, 06:37 AM
I haven't noticed much fouling with TiteGroup and coated bullets.

It's important to expand the case mouth sufficiently so that the coating isn't affected when seating the bullet. Damage the coating and you will see more smoke. Once everything is dialed in, load a few rounds and pull the bullets to check the coating integrity.

camsdaddy
02-20-2016, 08:32 AM
I am new to reloading. The first rounds I loaded were lswc and lwc in 38. The 158 LSWC I loaded over 3.5 of bullseye and the 148 I loaded over 2.8. When I came home and cleaned my guns I swore I would never load lead again. I have since loaded coated 158's over 3.0,3.2 and 3.5 and have noticed no leading. I have also loaded several hundred 147 grain coated over 3.0,3.2,3.5 in 9mm and am pleased. Just so I would have comparison I ordered 115 plated bullets and I plan to load them at some point and shoot them on Monday. I figure at least I will have a contrast. I have some titegroup that will be here on Tuesday and I will load comparable rounds to see if I can find a favorite combo.

taadski
02-21-2016, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the beta fellas. That parallels some of what I've heard. I may pick up some coated bullets to dabble with at some stage, but given my powder cache is mostly Titegroup currently, I'll likely stick with the double struck Berry's I've been shooting.

t

nwhpfan
02-21-2016, 01:47 AM
Another one for coated over all else. Takes less powder, more accurate, not really sure why any other bullet would be used???? As for plated, I've used a bit in .45. Accurate has probably the most extensive plated data. At least with their powder but you can infer a lot regardless.

GyroF-16
03-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Talionis-
I gather that you're an HK shooter. I'm using an HK in .40, and am looking for a less expensive alternative to jacketed. I noticed that the precisionbullets site mentioned above specifically did not recommend using them in HKs. What do you use? And any idea what makes your favorite ones work well in the HK?

I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience with plated & coated in HKs.

Gyro

ranger
03-06-2016, 05:28 PM
I just got home from range - shot STI Eagle in 45 and M&P PRO in 9. Load for 45 was 200 grain lead semi wadcutters and Bullesye - shot great but forgot about how much smoke lead and Bullseye make. Load for 9mm was Bayou coated 135 and Bullseye (found some at LGS during powder drought) - very little to no smoke with the coated. I will buy some Bayou coated 185 semiwadcutters for the 45.

chances R
03-06-2016, 06:07 PM
I have used xtreme without trouble. I have seen fragments of the plating in cheap plated bullets in 40 cal. Was in a class and shooter did not know brand. Precision Delta is a good jacketed bullet at a good price.

Talionis
03-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Talionis-
I gather that you're an HK shooter. I'm using an HK in .40, and am looking for a less expensive alternative to jacketed. I noticed that the precisionbullets site mentioned above specifically did not recommend using them in HKs. What do you use? And any idea what makes your favorite ones work well in the HK?

I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience with plated & coated in HKs.

Gyro

I have not shot plated in HK's. I transitioned from plated to coated bullets over a year ago, when I was still shooting a CZ. I was slightly apprehensive about shooting coated bullets in HK's when I moved to the VP9, but it has proved to be a non-issue. I use Leatherhead Bullets, and am very happy with them. I peeked down the barrel recently at ~1600 rounds since I last cleaned it and the bore still looked very clean. The gun/load combo is still a sub 2" gun at 25 yards freestyle if I pay attention to what I'm doing. Most quality manufacturers of coated bullets are using a poly coating called hi-tek, any variation from manufacturer would be attributed to the lead alloy used by each and corresponding hardness. I think with HK polygonal rifling, the harder the better. The precisionbullet recommendation not to use their bullets with HK's makes me wonder about the alloy they are using. I can say that the leatherhead bullets work fine at open gun velocities, as well as with polygonal barrels.

I have noticed that my HK's do better with lighter to medium weight bullets in the range for their caliber, but I think if you choose a reputable cast bullet manufacturer you will be happy with the bullets provided you do your part in load development.

Luke
03-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Do you have a promo code for leather heads? I'm fixing to order a little bit tonight and then some more Friday.

Talionis
03-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Do you have a promo code for leather heads? I'm fixing to order a little bit tonight and then some more Friday.

Negative on promo codes. I'm not a salesperson on commission, I just happen to like some brands and do well enough that they trust me to spread the word a bit. That being said, PM dsa on here or fill out the contact form on their website and mention Zack sent you and they will take care of you.

Luke
03-07-2016, 06:09 AM
I knew you weren't a sales person on commission. I hope I didn't offend you by asking you. I've just seen a lot of sponsored people give out promo codes for the product they use. Thanks for the info.

Talionis
03-07-2016, 11:47 AM
I knew you weren't a sales person on commission. I hope I didn't offend you by asking you. I've just seen a lot of sponsored people give out promo codes for the product they use. Thanks for the info.

No offense taken! Just wanted to clarify that if I recommend things it is because I like them, not because it's my job or sponsorship agreement. I think my desire to clarify is mostly based on the annoying flood of "use this product and save x% with my super special secret code!" posts on facebook from people associated with a certain blank project "shooting team". Happy to help, and I hope the bullets work for you!

GyroF-16
03-07-2016, 05:32 PM
...I can say that the leatherhead bullets work fine at open gun velocities, as well as with polygonal barrels.

I have noticed that my HK's do better with lighter to medium weight bullets in the range for their caliber, but I think if you choose a reputable cast bullet manufacturer you will be happy with the bullets provided you do your part in load development.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've looked at Leatherheads and like what I see, and the price seems good, too.
I'll be planning to use 180 gr to maintain commonality with my duty load. Are you using RNFP or TFP? I'd like to stay close to the profile of Federal HST, but would like to know what you're having good results with.
Is it okay if I use your name when I contact them?

Thanks again,

Gyro

Talionis
03-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've looked at Leatherheads and like what I see, and the price seems good, too.
I'll be planning to use 180 gr to maintain commonality with my duty load. Are you using RNFP or TFP? I'd like to stay close to the profile of Federal HST, but would like to know what you're having good results with.
Is it okay if I use your name when I contact them?

Thanks again,

Gyro

No problem. I don't shoot anything in .40 personally. My experience is limited to the 9mm and .45 bullets. Right now I'm using the 125 RN's in volume. In .40, I think I would stick with the 180 RNFP's if you want a similar profile to the HST's, but I also think if you contact them they would be happy to send you some samples of the different profiles to try out and see which works best with your gun. You are certainly welcome to mention me when you get in touch, they seem to like me well enough that won't do you any harm;)