PDA

View Full Version : SP2022 9mm

gruntjim
02-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Just finished testing out and qualifying with the new toy...a Sigpro.

Not to drag things out, since I'm not paid by the word, but a few points are worth discussing:

Point of Aim: The manual says cover the target with the front sight. That was effective until I started using 147 grainers. At twenty yards, there was a three-inch shift in point of impact.

Prior SIG experience: My first modern combat handgun was a West German P226. That thing ate anything I could put in it, and liked to put most of its rounds into one small hole. My next SIGS were P220's and P228's. They were all accurate. The SP2022 had a surprise waiting for me.

I routinely load with 147 grainers for social work. However, the SP2022 wasn't at all interested in a heavy diet. It did love some 124 +P in HST, putting three rounds out of five into a one-inch group. This was at twenty yards. I wonder if its affinity for middleweight ammo was a consequence of SIG making the SP for the French, who are using +P Gold Dot.

Trigger Pull: Many fans of the modern pistol are hung up on trigger reset. I can understand that; people want as little disruption to the sight picture as possible. That is optimum in a match gun. The SP2022 was meant as a threat management tool. In that role, it shines. You have to make the conscious decision to fire a subsequent round, even in single action mode. This is not a bad thing in a world afflicted by lawyers.

Overall function: This pistol is new production, and it worked without a hitch. Firing, extraction, ejection and chambering were all flawless, as were magazine changes. There were no readily visible tool marks.

Summation: Overall, this pistol is in the same class as my old P228, but with a much longer life cycle. The only real negatives are that holster options are more limited than for the P228/229 family, and there are far fewer aftermarket parts. But, if you were to pick one DA pistol that worked out of the box without modifications, and didn't cost you a tuition payment, this one would be a solid choice.

I should add that this was my response to my newest G19 Gen4 giving me the ol' BTF love.

JonInWA
02-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Sigpros are good guns. They've repeatedly played to some good reviews here. Not my personal first choice (and I've owned one previously a 2340 with both ,40 and .357 SIG barrels), but a very good gun nonetheless.

Best, Jon

Kyle Reese
02-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Too choice for a TDA that won't break the bank. I regret selling my two.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

45dotACP
02-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Very good gun...for any price, but especially for the one they sell at.

Not that I'd buy a set of them with gear and accessories to replace any of my current hardware, but they're solid guns.

LtDave
02-16-2016, 08:49 PM
SP2022 is my current carry gun. I prefer the small grips to those on the 229 or 228. Mine is a US made gun and shoots Gold Dot 124 +P into 1.5" at 20 yards, POA=POI. For kydex holsters, either JM Custom Kydex or Overwatch holsters can take care of you.

ReverendMeat
02-16-2016, 10:00 PM
I've owned more SIGs than I can readily remember off the top of my head. The 2022 impresses me even before taking price into account and I would rather shoot it than a stock 226, 228, or 229. Probably not a great choice for people who find "trigger reset" and "high bore axis" worthwhile things to complain about, but for the rest the pistol is pretty much good to go out of the box, with the exception of the sights. They're a standard 3-dot setup but unlike every other set of factory 3-dot sights I've used, when the tops of the front and rear sights are lined up, the dots are NOT, which I could ignore easily enough, but that results in shooting some 6 inches high at 50 feet. Proper sight picture (on mine anyhow) is line the dots up, target halved at the top of the front sight. My M11A1 was the same way and it's annoying as hell.

Finding holsters for SIGs tend to suck no matter what. Between all the variants of 2022, 228/229, their 1911s, the 239's goofy trigger guard.. sheesh. Blade-Tech, Crossbreed, Alien Gear.. ordered a JMCK "George" last night (first foray into AIWB so this might go up for sale here in a few months), but ten week lead time.

Also not sure how easy they are to break down compared to the "real" SIGs. If anybody could point me towards a decent disassembly guide that'd be great.

Duelist
02-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Breakdown is the same as any gen 1, 2, or 3 S&W, or HiPower, 1911, CZ, etc with a slide stop that acts as the assembly pin: press the assembly pin from right to left, pull it out from the let side, and run the slide assembly off the frame. You may have to put the slide in a particular position in its operational range to disassemble/assemble the weapon.

ReverendMeat
02-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Breakdown is the same as any gen 1, 2, or 3 S&W, or HiPower, 1911, CZ, etc with a slide stop that acts as the assembly pin: press the assembly pin from right to left, pull it out from the let side, and run the slide assembly off the frame. You may have to put the slide in a particular position in its operational range to disassemble/assemble the weapon.

Oops, when I said break down I meant complete disassembly/detail strip. My bad, I should've been less vague

Duelist
02-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Oops, when I said break down I meant complete disassembly/detail strip. My bad, I should've been less vague

Well, then! I have no idea. :/

rd62
02-21-2016, 04:08 PM
I rented a 2022 at the range today when I saw they had one in the case after seeing this thread. Nice pistol. The trigger required some getting used to as I've become very accustomed to striker fired. The 2022 was comfortable, accurate, and reliable though. I'd consider picking one up and have been considering adding my first Sig to my collection but was thinking more along the lines of a 226.

Kyle Reese
02-21-2016, 04:22 PM
I rented a 2022 at the range today when I saw they had one in the case after seeing this thread. Nice pistol. The trigger required some getting used to as I've become very accustomed to striker fired. The 2022 was comfortable, accurate, and reliable though. I'd consider picking one up and have been considering adding my first Sig to my collection but was thinking more along the lines of a 226.

You're losing absolutely nothing getting into the SIG game by picking up a 2022. :)

LockedBreech
02-21-2016, 04:58 PM
I sure wish my SP2022 stainless 9mm with night sights that I got for $399 had worked out for me. If it had fit me it would have been easily my best gun buy ever. Strong ejection, accurate, soft shooter, reliable.

Luckily I was able to get into a VP9 with night sights by using it as the bulk of a trade, so no hard feelings, but still a bummer.

ubervic
02-21-2016, 05:26 PM
You're losing absolutely nothing getting into the SIG game by picking up a 2022. :)

I'll say, as its DA pull is about the smoothest, sweetest right out of the box.

HCM
02-21-2016, 05:31 PM
Has anyone tried undercutting the trigger guard on their SP2023 ala Glocks to improve the fit ?

Polecat
02-21-2016, 08:54 PM
These guns are some real sleepers. I spoke with a SIG product developer last year and he stated they were updating the 2022 with a slightly different design and an SRT that should be a retrofit to current SP's as well. That was over a year ago and haven't heard a word sense. I really wish they would expand the line, like a .45, compact and subcompacts. Still a great value.

LockedBreech
02-21-2016, 09:06 PM
I'll say, as its DA pull is about the smoothest, sweetest right out of the box.

I think after about 7,000 rounds the Beretta PX4 does it better, but the SP2022 pull is nice, no doubt.

Duelist
02-21-2016, 09:25 PM
I think after about 7,000 rounds the Beretta PX4 does it better, but the SP2022 pull is nice, no doubt.

7,000 rounds =/= out of the box. LOL.

LockedBreech
02-21-2016, 09:43 PM
7,000 rounds =/= out of the box. LOL.

Hahaha yeah she was definitely stiff out of the box but over years and lots of rounds turned into a pretty sweet machine. Maybe the SP2022 after 7K woulda been even better, who knows.

okie john
02-21-2016, 09:49 PM

This.

The 2022 I had wasn't my cup of tea but it was a very impressive piece of kit. It would sell very well even if the price was $2-300 more.

Okie John

ReverendMeat
02-21-2016, 10:14 PM

Agreed. I have my 226 on consignment right now, but I'm keeping the 2022.

JonInWA
02-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Having had multiple P229s in various calibers and in both DA/SA and DAK configurations and a Sigpro, if I had to choose between the two today I'd likely select the 2022.

Best, Jon

JTQ
02-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Does anybody have finger pinch issues with the short front strap of the SP2022. That seems like the biggest oddity of the gun. Had it been designed to use P229 mags would have been a good idea.

HCM
02-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Does anybody have finger pinch issues with the short front strap of the SP2022. That seems like the biggest oddity of the gun. Had it been designed to use P229 mags would have been a good idea.

No but I get "Glock Knuckle" shooting it - thinking about doing a trigger guard under cut on mine,

spinmove_
02-22-2016, 03:46 PM

Finger pinch? Nope. But I have caught the meat of my hand once or twice doing mag changes. Not nearly as bad as doing the same on a Shield, but it still wasn't comfortable.

ubervic
02-22-2016, 04:22 PM
No but I get "Glock Knuckle" shooting it - thinking about doing a trigger guard under cut on mine,

I was getting 'Glock Knuckle,' too. I solved that problem fairly quickly & easily by using 600-grit sandpaper wrapped around a permanent marker and going at the right-underside of the trigger guard just enough to take down the sharp edge. Followed it with 1000-grit. Total job took less than 4 minutes of shaping/checking/shaping/checking----and the trigger guard looks almost completely factory yet feels much less aggressive on my knuckle.

Duelist
02-22-2016, 04:23 PM

"Tea-time" pinkie finger.

LockedBreech
02-22-2016, 04:28 PM

Yeah. The short front strap was why I had to sell it. I've got big hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTQ
02-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Yeah. The short front strap was why I had to sell it. I've got big hands.

I've got small hands and that's what's kept me from buying one. The grip, in general, feels better to me than a P229, but I don't know why they chose to cut the front strap so short and stick that giant base pad on the mag. I'm sure there must be some advantage to the decision, but I haven't figured it out.

Sent from my Smith-Corona using QWERTY

LtDave
02-22-2016, 09:22 PM
I really like the flat baseplates from the compact version, even at $12.50 apiece.

JDM
02-22-2016, 09:23 PM
I really like the flat baseplates from the compact version, even at $12.50 apiece.

I've been searching high and low...source?

LtDave
02-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Rocosystem.com has had them from time to time.

ubervic
02-29-2016, 10:26 AM
I purchased flat base plates for the S&W MP Compact for my three extra mags. At $2.00 apiece, they fit fairly well and run perfectly fine. If I get ambitious, I may notch & relieve the area that meets the grip when the mag is fully inserted, as the fitment is tight there.

My only concern with the gun is the occasional false reset. Wondering if there I can do to eliminate that.

Cecil Burch
02-29-2016, 11:46 AM

When I was patiently waiting for the Roco to get the flat bases in, I decided to do my own jury-rigging. I took a dremel and ground down the base of a standard mag so that it ended up being equal in size to the flat plate. It was not super pretty, but it worked great. I still got a flat base when they finally got stock in, but I still used the home made version on a regular basis.

JDM
02-29-2016, 01:11 PM
When I was patiently waiting for the Roco to get the flat bases in, I decided to do my own jury-rigging. I took a dremel and ground down the base of a standard mag so that it ended up being equal in size to the flat plate. It was not super pretty, but it worked great. I still got a flat base when they finally got stock in, but I still used the home made version on a regular basis.

I think I'm going to do this.

Jac
03-03-2016, 08:55 AM
I think I'm going to do this.
It's not an enormous difference, but is definitely worth a few minutes...

JTQ
03-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Inversion boots?!!!

See how secure the gun is in that holster even upside down.:)

Cecil Burch
03-03-2016, 12:56 PM
It's not an enormous difference, but is definitely worth a few minutes...

Dude, you did such a better job than I did. Mine looked exactly like what it was - a guy with absolutely no crafting skill using a dremel for about the second time in his life.

Jac
03-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Inversion boots?!!!

See how secure the gun is in that holster even upside down.:)

That could be an ad campaign for Tony Mayer: "Are you concerned about handgun retention? I'm not, because I hang out with JM Custom Kydex!"

Guess I shouldn't post pictures from my phone while waiting for my coffee to finish dripping...

j.d.allen
03-24-2016, 01:46 PM
I just bought my first SP2022 a few months ago and I love it. But it looks like there's a little bit of surface rust inside the bore. Has anyone else had this problem? How should I get rid of it?

JTQ
03-24-2016, 02:12 PM
But it looks like there's a little bit of surface rust inside the bore. Has anyone else had this problem? How should I get rid of it?
My guess would be it is copper.

I've always found this on barrel cleaning from Schuemann Barrels interesting. http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/Documentation/Webfile_Barrel_Cleaning.pdf

The key paragraph is the last...

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

SecondsCount
03-24-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm another Sigpro fan.

I find it to be a poor man's P30. A friend who is on a limited budget, can't stand Glocks, and really likes the P30, picked up a 2022. Absolutely loves it. He takes good care of his stuff and has never had an issue with it.

98z28
04-13-2016, 06:39 AM
These guns are some real sleepers. I spoke with a SIG product developer last year and he stated they were updating the 2022 with a slightly different design and an SRT that should be a retrofit to current SP's as well. That was over a year ago and haven't heard a word sense. I really wish they would expand the line, like a .45, compact and subcompacts. Still a great value.
That's interesting. I've always figured the SP2022 for dead. I can't imagine Sig sells many Pros outside of existing overseas LE contracts and pistol-forum members. It's a striker-fired world after all.

I hope there's some truth to the update rumor. An SP2022 with the same buttery DA and an SRT would be hot. Not looking forward to finding holsters following another frame change though.

ReverendMeat
04-13-2016, 12:59 PM
That's interesting. I've always figured the SP2022 for dead. I can't imagine Sig sells many Pros outside of existing overseas LE contracts and pistol-forum members. It's a striker-fired world after all.

I don't have any facts and figures for you but in my neck of the woods they're pretty easy to move. The combination of brand name and price really does work for some folks (P250s sell really well too).

98z28
04-21-2016, 02:43 PM
... If anybody could point me towards a decent disassembly guide that'd be great.

Chris Orndorff's DVD is pretty good: http://www.topgunsupply.com/sigpro-armorers-course-dvd-sigpro.html. I probably still have a copy somewhere. You're welcome to borrow it, if I can find it.