PDA

View Full Version : Martial Blade Concepts, legit or nah?

BES
02-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Our local Gracie BJJ instructor has also started teaching knife fighting under the Martial Blade Concepts school of instruction(MBC). I'm doing my due diligence in research about it right now. I made a goal this year that one of the hard skills I want to improve upon is edged weapon work paired with my combatives plan (Gracie BJJ and Krav Maga). Is the MBC school legit stuff in the blade world ? I don't want to train on something that is going to set me up for failure and get my guts spilled everywhere. The instructor is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to our BJJ and striking skills but blade work is another realm. Just want to be sure I'm getting into the right stuff since I'm paying out of pocket and investing more personal time. I have limited blade training but no formal progressive instruction.

Also, this is a knife that has been recommended to me that pairs well with MBC instruction:
Spyderco Yojimbo 2 http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Yojimbo-2-Folding-Pocket--9531
It was designed by Michael Janich the creator of MBC.

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

SLG
02-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Janich is legit, but as with everything, people have their preferences when it comes to tactics techniques and concepts. Do you like what you see there? Southnarc has worked with him a fair bit, so hopefully he will chime in.

Totem Polar
02-16-2016, 11:36 AM
I am no expert on blade work. But... I've trained with Janich, and have the utmost respect for him. I'm a fan of his system. He's very good at distilling the application out of the arcane drills found in FMA, and imparting that working knowledge very quickly, and I think it's great for what it is: concepts on workable defense with a small folder that most can have on them anywhere. The Yojimbo I had was impossibly hard to open, so I flipped it in favor of small fixed blades. OMMV on that; Janice's own Yojimbo was lightning fast. FWIW.

Wondering Beard
02-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Janich is legit, but as with everything, people have their preferences when it comes to tactics techniques and concepts. Do you like what you see there? Southnarc has worked with him a fair bit, so hopefully he will chime in.

+1

David S.
02-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks for bringing this up, as I was vaguely curious too after listening to the following interviews.

Interview on Edged Weapons. The Way of the Knife: Mike Janich on American Warrior Show w/ Mike Seeklander (http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/episode-6)
An interview unrelated to edged weapons. Active Shooter Response Action Plan: Mike Janich on American Warrior Show w/ Mike Seeklander (http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/active-shooter-response-action-plan)

I am in no way associated with, or otherwise "shilling" for The American Warrior Show. Just a fan. ;)

voodoo_man
02-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Looks like an Americanized version of Kali. The words/terms he uses are even the same. I imagine he was taught Kali or Salit (said "SEE-lot") by someone who knew a thing or two and then he progressed into what we see on his site.

He even does a Sama-sama type of event "training camp."

BES
02-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Update:

MBC training has been going well. It's very instinctive and easy to pick up. After a few sessions it's really easy to apply the knowledge. We do the MBC stuff for an hour and then start regular BJJ class. Over all I'm really impressed, definitely going to continue to train under the MBC school of thought. I was also exposed to the effectiveness of a wharncliffe blade for fighting purposes. Pretty awesome stuff.

OnionsAndDragons
02-25-2016, 11:38 AM
MBC is legit, particularly from a regular dude perspective. Janich's core theories are very much established for ending a threat with the right amount of force and no more.

Example: a traditional defang the snake drill/technique would involve disabling the weapon limb followed by a kill stroke. MBC version would be to train the same sort of limb disabling strike on tendons/muscle group, followed up with a mobility reducer like a cut to the knees tendons.

Janich has been very clear about wanting to prepare students to win the fight without losing the war that may follow it ala legal trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ST911
02-25-2016, 11:55 AM
I did MBC, got a lot out of it, and will go again.

Thanks for bringing this up, as I was vaguely curious too after listening to the following interviews.

Interview on Edged Weapons. The Way of the Knife: Mike Janich on American Warrior Show w/ Mike Seeklander (http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/episode-6)
An interview unrelated to edged weapons. Active Shooter Response Action Plan: Mike Janich on American Warrior Show w/ Mike Seeklander (http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/active-shooter-response-action-plan)

I am in no way associated with, or otherwise "shilling" for The American Warrior Show. Just a fan. ;)

Just listened to these on a road trip. Recommended.