PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 G19 issues

pilotguyo540
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry guys, I know this has been beaten to death and then some. I have found a ton of info on the Gen 4 problems and some info on the late gen 3 issues, but I got lost in the search.

My issue is with a brand new G19 gen 3. Over 600 rounds have produced 7 FTF's. Ammo in question is Tula 115 gr. (3 of the FTF's) and PMC Bronze (4 FTF's)
I have no issues yet with my current carry ammo (speer gold dot +p 124gr) but I have only ran through 20 rounds of it.

How much of this is ammo, and how much is firearm? Limp wristing is not the problem. Is the extractor my primary issue, or is the gen 3 RSA problematic too?

If my search fu has failed me, please PM me a link and delete this thread.

JV_
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
FTFeed?
FTFire?

If it was a feed issue, did the spent casing in front of it properly extract? Do you have a picture of the malfunction?

pilotguyo540
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Fail to feed, sorry. the slide failed to return fully. I had this failure on multiple magazines.

JV_
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
the slide failed to return fully.What was the position of the bullet being fed? How far back was the slide retracted?

pilotguyo540
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I believe that the slide was at, or close to the slide lock position. I was in class, so I didn't really have much time to diagnose or observe in great detail. In each case, racking the slide put me back in business.

JV_
10-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I believe that the slide was at, or close to the slide lock position.Is it possible that your grip was pushing up on the slide lock?

pilotguyo540
10-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Possibly. I will examine this when I get out of the airport......IF I ever get out of the airport...

wow.... never even thought about that.

JV_
10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
It's a very common problem, it happens to me with the extended slide release that Glock offers. I'm partial to the Vickers slide release.

JSGlock34
10-10-2011, 07:05 PM
I'd certainly look at the mentioned issue with the slide stop, but I'm also skeptical of Tula ammunition after seeing it induce numerous malfunctions (including a squib load) at a class. I've no first hand experience with PMC so I can't comment on that, but I avoid Tula and would seek to eliminate it as a variable in diagnosing problems.

I'd feed the pistol 500 rounds of Federal ammunition (or other quality brand) and see if the problems continue (also being mindful of hand position and possible accidental slide stop activation).

LittleLebowski
10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Pop the extractor and look for wear marks. See if it drops in and put freely.

pilotguyo540
10-11-2011, 12:27 AM
I disassembled my slide. First thing I noticed was some metal shavings, despite keeping it lubed. Possible break in? My ectractormoves freely into and out of the slide. Wear looks limited to the contact point with the locking plunger.

My grip may be the issue. It feels like I would have to flex my thunb firmly to actuate the slide lock, but maybe under recoil and with a less than consistant grip I may be inadvertantly bumping it.