PDA

View Full Version : Ergo Roller vs. standard height roller handle from Inline Fabrication.

SLG
02-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Anyone have some experience with both and can compare them for me? Trying to decide which one to get.

LSP972
02-13-2016, 02:17 PM
For me, the roller handle is useful if you load while standing up; IOW, the machine is more at belt level than chest level, which is normal when sitting down. I found that being able to rotate my hand around a spherical handle end was more comfortable; the roller handle keeps your hand pretty much stationary and cramps my forearm muscles from the seated/machine-at-chest-level position.

You really won't know until you try it. The black ball on Dillon machines has worked out better for me. What's even better is the phenolic billiard balls that some fellow was doing a while back; they are a bit larger and let you get more leverage.

LSP972
02-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Here it is; pretty cool oddity; and it works great.

Sorry, I have no idea who the guy is/was, or if he is still offering these. I saw it on another forum quite some time ago, contacted him, and this and #13 was all he had remaining. He said he did them in batches, and of course the eight ball was most popular.

SLG
02-13-2016, 07:53 PM

#2 looks good, thanks. I guess I'll stick with my ball handles for now, as my press is pretty high up and I like to stand while loading.

taadski
02-13-2016, 08:25 PM
I only recently bought a roller handle for my 650. I wouldn't put in the "necessity" category, but it's pretty nice and I do wish I'd purchased it originally. For reference, I do load standing primarily though.

SLG
02-13-2016, 10:12 PM
I only recently bought a roller handle for my 650. I wouldn't put in the "necessity" category, but it's pretty nice and I do wish I'd purchased it originally. For reference, I do load standing primarily though.

Is your press bench height or on a strong mount?

NETim
02-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Same here. Ergo roller and a Dillon Strong Mount.

JAD
02-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Ergo and strong mount, standing, 42" bench. I'm 5'10" when the man isn't keepin' me down.

taadski
02-13-2016, 11:12 PM
Is your press bench height or on a strong mount?

Bench height sans strong mount b/c of overhead clearance issues.

LSP972
02-14-2016, 12:24 PM

... my press is pretty high up and I like to stand while loading.

Then you should definitely try the roller handle, IMO.

SLG
02-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Then you should definitely try the roller handle, IMO.

I would have thought just the opposite from your post above, since my machine is about chest height.

fwiw, I have no issue with the standard ball grip. On the LCT, the primer system is VERY close to the handle, so I thought a drop more clearance for my hand might be nice. Also might make seating primers easier, IDK.

LSP552
02-14-2016, 07:27 PM
For me, the roller handle is useful if you load while standing up;

This was exactly my experience. I ordered a roller handle and used it a bit on my 550b. Seated, I found the regular handle worked better for me and gave the roller handle away. I'd get a Strong mount and roller handle if I was comfortable loading while standing.

TiroFijo
02-14-2016, 08:11 PM
I prefer the regular ball handle, and I reload while seated. Of course, the height of the seat relative to the bench is also an important variable for comfort, and you have to find out what works best for you.

LSP552
02-14-2016, 09:04 PM
I prefer the regular ball handle, and I reload while seated. Of course, the height of the seat relative to the bench is also an important variable for comfort, and you have to find out what works best for you.

My stool is about 6" lower than my bench, works for me.

LSP972
02-14-2016, 09:24 PM
I would have thought just the opposite from your post above, since my machine is about chest height.

fwiw, I have no issue with the standard ball grip. On the LCT, the primer system is VERY close to the handle, so I thought a drop more clearance for my hand might be nice. Also might make seating primers easier, IDK.

Sorry, I forgot you don't have a Dillon. My mistake, sorry for the confusion.

Basically, this has nothing to do with manufacturer specifics; its all about physiology, muscle/ligament movement and stress, etc. And no doubt my T-Rex arms are a factor. If I use the handle while seated, it does not allow my elbow to rotate enough; the ball allows my palm to slide around on it and my elbow to over-rotate a bit.

rdtompki
02-14-2016, 10:37 PM
I have an inexpensive height-adjustable bar stool so I can fine tune my height. I could not load 5K/month of 9mm without the ergo handle - use green loctite to keep the handle from unthreading.