PDA

View Full Version : Week 151: Small Target AMRAP

Mr_White
02-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Week 151: Small Target AMRAP

Results may be posted until March 12th, 2016.

Designed by: Gabe White, adapted from a TLG drill
Range: 7 yards
Target: 3x5", upper A-zone, 2" circle, or similar
Start Position: Holster or ready
Rounds Fired: Varies

We're going to practice a live fire drill emphasizing driving the gun on a single, more difficult target.

Start from the holster if you can. If not possible on your range, then start from ready position of your choice.

Set your par time by adding two seconds to your typical presentation time from the start position you chose, for the target and distance we are shooting. For example, you are drawing from the holster, and you think you can usually get one hit on a USPSA upper A-zone at 7 yards in ~2 seconds - your par time for this drill would be 4.00 seconds.

At the start signal, fire as many rounds into the target as you can. Shots fired after the par do not count, whether they are hits or misses. Record the total number of rounds you fired, and the number of hits scored within the par time. One repetition of the drill might only be a handful of total shots fired. You can do the drill as many times as you want.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
Target used
Par time
Total number of shots fired
Number of hits within par time
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

BehindBlueI's
02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
P226 .40, Red Nichols OWB, knee length coat
FAST target, but printed on regular paper. Shooting from 16' works out to same as 3x5 at 21'.
4.0 seconds
1st attempt: 4 shots fired, 3 hits. Shoved one low.
2nd attempt: 5 shots fired, 4 hits, 5th shot hit but .14 over time

LCR, in coat pocket, starting with hand on grip.
Same target, same par time
1st attempt: 3 shots, 2 hits and 1 miss
2nd attempt: 4 shots, 3 hits and 1 miss
3rd attempt: 1 miss and malfunction ended drill. My reloads were not crimped tight enough for the LCR, apparently. Probably the cartridge that hadn't been shot in the last drill and it kept creeping forward.

Range1
02-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Equipment used: Glock 34, Safariland ALS holster, open front jacket
Target used: 3x5 card
Par time: 4.40
Total number of shots fired under par time: Ran drill 5 times. Rounds fired 3-3-4-4-4
Number of hits within par time: 3-1-4-4-4
Anything you noticed: Could not hear the timer for the last beep so first two runs I stopped shooting early. Last three runs I actually fired 5 rounds each time but only 4 were in the par time and all 5 each time were in the target area. Last three runs felt much more comfortable. I had trouble getting a sight focus so just went with driving the dot (Trijicon HD yellow front sight). Worked surprisingly well for me today. If the accuracy consistency holds I need to work on the speed.

bigslim
02-21-2016, 03:26 AM
G19, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB, Concealed under a tee shirt
Target used: Q-PT 3x5 Head Box
Par time: 4.50
Total number of shots fired: 7
Number of hits within par time: 6

Total number of shots fired: 8
Number of hits within par time: 7

I also could not hear the par time beep of the timer but more importantly I performed far better than I expected. Proper grip was king and I have a feeling I may have been able to get an extra hit or two if I wasn't riding the trigger to reset.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin B.
02-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Equipment used: G17 OWB
Par time: 3.4 seconds
Number of hits within par time: 6; shot #7 was .04 over

Mr_White
02-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Equipment used: G17 OWB
Par time: 3.4 seconds
Number of hits within par time: 6; shot #7 was .04 over

That's pretty burly, I like it!

Kevin B.
02-22-2016, 12:03 PM
That's pretty burly, I like it!

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised with my performance. I have been working pairs to the 3x5 pretty hard lately, trying to get under 1.5. This was an interesting departure that reinforced a lot of what I have been working on.

Mr_White
02-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Gen3 G34, in a Keeper under a polo shirt
2" circle
3.5 second par time

Two attempts:

4 shots fired, 3 hits within par time

4 shots fired, 4 hits within par time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDOfm3vmkSw

Mr_White
02-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Realized I wrote down the times. First attempt was 3.61, second was 3.31.

okie john
02-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Equipment: VP9 with stock night sights, K-Rounds IWB holster
Concealment: hoodie
Target: IPSC Upper A-Zone
Par Time: 4 seconds
Shots fired/hits: 4-5 per run, with 1-2 hits

Noticed: This pistol requires a “drive-the-dot” sight picture which puts the group low in the center of the ball on the front sight. I usually got off 4-5 shots on a run, but only hit the credit card 1-2 times per run. The rest of the shot hit within 2-3 inches of each other, centered and just south of the credit card. After several runs, there was a hole about the size of a tennis ball almost perfectly centered on the head but just south of the credit card.

Equipment: Gen4 G19, K-Rounds IWB holster
Shots fired/hits: 4-5 per run, with 2-3 hits

Noticed: This pistol has a plain black rear sight. The front sight is a black blade with the top 1/3 painted orange. G19 groups were slightly larger than the VP9 groups, but I hit the credit card 2-3 times per run, which strikes me as a function of the different POI.

A very useful drill overall.

Okie John

okie john
02-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Equipment: VP9 with stock night sights, K-Rounds IWB holster
Shots fired/hits: 4-5 per run, with 1-2 hits

Noticed: This pistol requires a “drive-the-dot” sight picture which puts the group low in the center of the ball on the front sight. I usually got off 4-5 shots on a run, but only hit the credit card 1-2 times per run. The rest of the shot hit within 2-3 inches of each other, centered and just south of the credit card. After several runs, there was a hole about the size of a tennis ball almost perfectly centered on the head but just south of the credit card.

Shot this drill again today, but this time I fired a few rounds slow fire to ascertain POI before I started. Turns out I need to hold the top of the sights between the top of the target and the top of the credit card to hit the credit card. Visually, it feels like I'm holding high on the target's forehead/hairline to drop the bullet into the eye sockets.

Same gear and par time as yesterday, but with 3-4 hits per run today. The tennis-ball sized hole is now in the credit card, and the people in the lanes on either side of me probably think that I have pretty severe anger management issues.

Okie John

bigslim
02-24-2016, 05:19 PM
2/22/16

2/23/16

Par time: 4.30
Total number of shots fired: 4
Number of hits within par time: 3

Par time: 4.30
Total number of shots fired: 5
Number of hits within par time: 4

Mike

taadski
02-27-2016, 12:42 AM
Spent a few hours outdoors enjoying some of the warmer weather we've been having finally here in the hills. Did some catching up on some DOTWs, to include this one.

Sig 226 in my work holster, a SLS/ALS Safariland (6360).
Target was a 3x5.
Par was 3.5.
First go I shot 5. 4 hits at 3.47.
Second attempt I also shot 5. 4th hit was at 3.38.

bigslim
02-29-2016, 03:26 PM
Par time: 4
Total number of shots fired: 6
Number of hits within par time: 5

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1630/24752976494_069afa4909_b.jpg

Total number of shots fired: 6
Number of hits within par time: 5

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1675/25290548991_eba18b49a2_b.jpg

Mike

Mr_White
03-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Did this one again because I wanted to get in on all this 3x5 action!

Equipment used: Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper
Target: 3x5
Par time: 3.2 seconds
Total number of shots fired: 10*
Number of hits within par time: 7
Anything you noticed: *Didn't hear the beep at the par time of 3.2 seconds, so I ended up firing ten total shots. The last one was the miss (I know, I eye sprinted on the last shot and watched the hole appear!) So I hit seven for seven within the par time, but fired three more rounds, one of which missed. Happy enough with that I guess. I'd really like to see those three slightly errant shots go into the main group, which was about 1.5"x 1" or so.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1658/25567031936_3e74e33c44_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EXgHRs)20160306_080030 (https://flic.kr/p/EXgHRs) by OrigamiAK (https://www.flickr.com/photos/52790396@N08/), on Flickr

bigslim
03-10-2016, 03:11 PM
2.57 .42 .40 .40

2.55 .20 .20 .19

Mike

WobblyPossum
03-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Equipment: Glock 19 Gen4 in a Raven Eidolon carried AIWB. Ameriglo tritium front Defoor sights with the top of the front sight painted orange

Concealment: Buttoned but untucked button down shirt

Shots fired/hits: 2-3 shots within par. Usually had 1-2 hits although I had one clean run of 3 shots and one run where I hit 0/2.

Observations: Of the seven runs I attempted, during four of them, I had fired two rounds and was in the process of my third trigger press when the second beep went off. I was able to stop my trigger press part way through so as not to go over par time. I thought this was interesting because of the recent thread about LEM triggers and rule 3 which kind of changed topics into whether or not most people can stop mid-press if the situation changes and whatever needed shot no longer needs shot. This shows me that, at least with an audible stimulus, I can stop mid press when on a square range with absolutely no pressure.

Also, I hate the upper A-zone. It is small, hard to hit, and does absolutely nothing for my self esteem. If anyone needs me, I'll be in my safe space. [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jiminycricket
03-13-2016, 02:00 AM
G19 in a Blade-Tech Phantom IWB at 3:30 concealed by a denim vest

Target: 3x3 post it note

Par: 3.75 sec

I ran the drill several times and learned my realistic ability when warmed up is 4 good hits within par.
I did my best with 6 shots clean in 3.77 with the 5th shot at 3.42

Looking back I really should have set the par on my timer. Instead I simply fired six rounds from the draw every time.
Maybe, out of curiosity, I might even position my camera so it can record the impacts of my shots, so I can review and know exactly the order of the shots I missed for the string. I do know on several occasions I would pull the first shot low left.

Mickey
03-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Equipment used:Sig P320 fullsize with crappy holster that came with it.
Target: 3X5 card
Par time: 3.70
Hits 2 dropped #3 low.
Things I noticed: when I started shooting DOTW I was shooting in the 2.20's first round on a 8" circle target. Now I am able to get 1.70's on a 3x5 card constantly and seeing 1.60's frequently. The daily dry fire is starting to pay dividends!