PDA

View Full Version : The Myths of Black Lives Matter - WSJ

SteveB
02-12-2016, 07:15 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myths-of-black-lives-matter-1455235686

voodoo_man
02-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Can't seem to get the full article after searching. Someone mind reposting?

SteveB
02-12-2016, 07:32 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myths-of-black-lives-matter-1455235686

The Myths of Black Lives Matter
Feb. 11, 2016 7:08 p.m. ET

[...]

Apparently the Black Lives Matter movement has convinced Democrats and progressives that there is an epidemic of racist white police officers killing young black men. Such rhetoric is going to heat up as Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Sanders court minority voters before the Feb. 27 South Carolina primary.

[...]

The Washington Post has been gathering data on fatal police shootings over the past year and a half to correct acknowledged deficiencies in federal tallies. The emerging data should open many eyes.

For starters, fatal police shootings make up a much larger proportion of white and Hispanic homicide deaths than black homicide deaths. According to the Post database, in 2015 officers killed 662 whites and Hispanics, and 258 blacks. (The overwhelming majority of all those police-shooting victims were attacking the officer, often with a gun.) Using the 2014 homicide numbers as an approximation of 2015’s, those 662 white and Hispanic victims of police shootings would make up 12% of all white and Hispanic homicide deaths. That is three times the proportion of black deaths that result from police shootings.

The lower proportion of black deaths due to police shootings can be attributed to the lamentable black-on-black homicide rate. There were 6,095 black homicide deaths in 2014—the most recent year for which such data are available—compared with 5,397 homicide deaths for whites and Hispanics combined. Almost all of those black homicide victims had black killers.

[...]

The Black Lives Matter movement claims that white officers are especially prone to shooting innocent blacks due to racial bias, but this too is a myth. A March 2015 Justice Department report on the Philadelphia Police Department found that black and Hispanic officers were much more likely than white officers to shoot blacks based on “threat misperception”—that is, the mistaken belief that a civilian is armed.

A 2015 study by University of Pennsylvania criminologist Greg Ridgeway, formerly acting director of the National Institute of Justice, found that, at a crime scene where gunfire is involved, black officers in the New York City Police Department were 3.3 times more likely to discharge their weapons than other officers at the scene.

The Black Lives Matter movement has been stunningly successful in changing the subject from the realities of violent crime.

[...]

Ms. Mac Donald is the Thomas W. Smith fellow at the Manhattan Institute and author of “The War on Cops,” forthcoming in July from Encounter Books.

DocGKR
02-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Outstanding!

voodoo_man
02-12-2016, 12:12 PM
While it's disappointing that the WSJ is behind a paywall that we can't easily get through, we simply can't repost the full text of a copyrighted work on a publically accessible website. Sorry. :(

My apologies sir.

Totem Polar
02-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Since I was "in before the lock" (clean shoot, Tom, no worries), I'll say that A) the article was solid, and B) it's about time MSM started catching up to where many on this forum were years ago.

Drang
02-12-2016, 01:48 PM
If the "Google the title" method is not working, you might see if your local library system maintains paid editions online for card holders.

ETA: There have been hints of this research "out there" for a few months now, but only (of course) in the more "conservative" online outlets. Glad to see WSJ is putting it out there, maybe it will get some traction.

Peally
02-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Since I was "in before the lock" (clean shoot, Tom, no worries), I'll say that A) the article was solid, and B) it's about time MSM started catching up to where many on this forum were years ago.

They're not, WSJ is just above the rest as far as content and has been for a while now.

JDM
02-12-2016, 02:16 PM
The whole article is on the Apple news app:

Opinion: The Myths of Black Lives Matter - The Wall Street Journal
https://apple.news/ApDbXR7oRSE-q8fyDSi4Zuw

Don't know how well that'll work from a desktop...

Peally
02-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Didn't, need to log in. All it does is redirect to the original article.

okie john
02-12-2016, 02:45 PM
I read this one on another forum. Even if you can't get to it from our pages, you owe it to yourself to find it and read it. It was almost as much enjoyable to read as the coverage of Mrs. Clinton's adventures in IT.

Unlike the articles that cherry-pick statistics and numbers, this one puts that information into context. For bonus points, it calls out black-on-black violence and puts the blame for that on the culture that creates and tolerates it.

It's high time that somebody took an objective, data-driven look at BLM's claims, and I'm delighted that it was the Wall Street Journal. Their credibility isn't tainted in the ways that make people take the MSM with so many grains of salt.

Okie John

olstyn
02-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Don't know how well that'll work from a desktop...

Unfortunately, it linked me straight to the WSJ website both on my desktop and my iPhone.

JDM
02-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately, it linked me straight to the WSJ website both on my desktop and my iPhone.

Annoying.

hufnagel
02-12-2016, 05:23 PM
so for the TL;DR crowd... the article is basically summed up by saying, blacks shoot blacks far more than *s shoot blacks. isn't that what we've been saying all along?

JDM
02-12-2016, 05:36 PM
On the current version of iOS it takes you to the Apple News app which then displays the full content of the WSJ article.

Ah.

Less annoying.