PDA

View Full Version : Inline Fabrication pics and mini review

SLG
02-11-2016, 10:10 PM
I have been reworking my reloading setup, which is down in the unfinished part of the basement. Things are still a mess, but are starting to get slightly better. The Inlinefabrication.com stuff has definitely helped with the organization and layout, but also makes reloading itself easier and more pleasant. Some pics.

As you can see, I had to stop cleaning and organizing to crank out some 44 magnum loads on the Lee:-) For me, the Lee Classic Turret is just an amazing press.

On the Lee, you can see the the quick change press mount, lighting system (not attached yet) and the double bin system with automatic case ejector. On the wall is the rail mount with some toolhead holders, tool holders, and some random bins. I'm waiting on a few more parts to mount the T7 to the base, as well as a Big Boss II. Down the bench you can see my unused Dillons:-) ON the T7 is the Lee Power Trimmer for 300WM and 308, as well as my competition dies. Really a pleasure to use.

Back to the Inline mount, it makes the press absolutely rock solid, and even resizing 300wm brass on the Lee (which I think is asking a bit much), there is almost no movement at all. The quick change plates are very fast and easy to switch, and still rock solid. The wall mount rail is not unique, but works well and fits the space nicely.

The lighting system does a great job, but I'll need to spend some time getting the wiring just right.

The automatic case ejector is the best thing since sliced bread. Even though the concept is not new to me, since both Dillons do it as well, it is still amazing. For any single operation, it greatly speeds up the process, as you only handle the brass once per operation instead of twice. On the Lee, it gives me about 50 rds more per hour, which works out really well for me. Dan at Inline fabrication is easy to work with and makes a very high quality product. Highly recommended.

GNiner
02-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Looks like you have the Auto Drum on the rack on the wall and are still using the Auto Disk system on your press. I have been using the Drum for about a month (2500 rounds) and have finally decided to retire my Auto Disk setups and get more Auto Drums for my other calibers. It really is a solid set-up and allows me to really dial in the powder charges.

I'll have to look into the In-line stuff - I have seen several Dillons with their stuff but didn't know that they had set-ups for the LCT.

SLG
02-11-2016, 10:42 PM
GNiner,

I have only just tried the Auto Drum. Easy to use, but so far, not very consistent throws. I tried R-17, and just couldn't get what I wanted from it. The Auto Disk has the micrometer charge bar installed, and it throws 10g Unique very accurately. Apples to oranges, but I'll need to experiment with the Auto Drum some more. I'm happy to take your Pro Disks if it will help you out.:-)

What powder and cartridges are you using the Auto Drum with? How accurate is it? Do anything special to it?

GJM
02-11-2016, 10:46 PM
PF is getting high tech, I remember the old days when neither Nyeti nor SLG knew how to post pictures or videos.

LittleLebowski
02-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Dang, I wish I lived closer to SLG :(

Rick_ICT
02-12-2016, 12:43 AM
Inline Fabrication products are fantastic. I have an Ergo roller handle, double bullet tray system, Skylight and an improved finished round bin bracket for my LnL. The quality and powder-coat finish on the parts is spectacular. Everything they make is well designed and completely overbuilt.

The finished round bracket for example, which replaces the somewhat flimsy Hornady stamped bracket and holds the bin that catches the completed rounds, is made from 1/8" and 3/32" steel plate welded up and powder-coated. That thing might support my weight, let alone a plastic bin full of cartridges.

It is really nice to be able to easily see the powder in each case under the Skylight before the bullet is placed.

And for someone like me with calcific tendonitis in his right shoulder, that Ergo roller handle is a make or break improvement over the factory knobbed handle.

It's easy to understand why the press makers don't include these sorts of upgrades from the factory, as they are meeting a price point, but the price of the Inline Fabrication stuff only stings until you take it out of the box and see what you got for your money.

FPS
02-12-2016, 12:56 AM
Another thumbs up for inline - I too have the ergo roller, double bins (need those bin barriers), and case ejector for the LCT - great stuff. Ordered the auto drum this evening so looking forward to hopefully less powder leaking onto the press. Those wall rails look great.

I started reloading on the Lee Classic Turret a little over a year ago. I think it is a great press to learn on. At times I wish I had a progressive but I dont' reload enough yet to warrant the expense.

GNiner
02-12-2016, 08:29 AM
GNiner,

What powder and cartridges are you using the Auto Drum with? How accurate is it? Do anything special to it?

I am using Titegroup to load 9mm and 45acp. I ran 5 sets of 10 throws initially without making any adjustments just to get the consistency dialed in. I think the drum needs the internals coated with powder or graphite to start getting consistent throws. The first two groups of 10 showed significant differences, while the last 3 groups settled in to within 0.1 grain difference over 10 throws combined.

Then I adjusted the drum using the key to what I wanted (the flats of the key approx 0.1 grain differences), and ran a couple more sets of 10 to ensure I was dialed in and started producing ammo. Every 500 rounds or so I rechecked a 10 throw set, and was never a full 0.1 off - usually was .03 to .08 off. The Titegroup seems to meter really well in the Auto Drum.

SLG
02-12-2016, 08:46 AM
I am using Titegroup to load 9mm and 45acp. I ran 5 sets of 10 throws initially without making any adjustments just to get the consistency dialed in. I think the drum needs the internals coated with powder or graphite to start getting consistent throws. The first two groups of 10 showed significant differences, while the last 3 groups settled in to within 0.1 grain difference over 10 throws combined.

Then I adjusted the drum using the key to what I wanted (the flats of the key approx 0.1 grain differences), and ran a couple more sets of 10 to ensure I was dialed in and started producing ammo. Every 500 rounds or so I rechecked a 10 throw set, and was never a full 0.1 off - usually was .03 to .08 off. The Titegroup seems to meter really well in the Auto Drum.

I ran a hopper load through before weighing charges, as is recommended for most powder measures, I think. Didn't matter. I'll try a different powder and charge weight and see what I get. The flats of the key were no where near .1 grain for me. Very inconsistent adjustment.

SLG
02-13-2016, 08:31 AM
I got home last night and ran 20 charges of 10g of Unique through the Auto Drum. 10 at a time weighed 100 gr! Pretty nice. So I loaded up some more rds with the autodrum and will use it again today. I was originally thinking of getting a Pro Disk for every turret, but with the Auto Drum, that may not be necessary.

Wayne Dobbs
02-13-2016, 09:08 AM
I got home last night and ran 20 charges of 10g of Unique through the Auto Drum. 10 at a time weighed 100 gr! Pretty nice. So I loaded up some more rds with the autodrum and will use it again today. I was originally thinking of getting a Pro Disk for every turret, but with the Auto Drum, that may not be necessary.

10 grains of Unique with a 250 SWC is the load they use in Heaven in the .44 Magnum...handles all the chores of the caliber that are legit.

GNiner
02-13-2016, 09:46 AM

In the beginning, I had one Pro Disk that I changed between turrets. That got old (I acknowledged my laziness) and I got a Pro Disk for every turret. Now that I have tested the Pro Drum I was intending on buying one for every turret. But with your problems with RL-17, maybe I need to test all of my powders through it first. I may end up with a mix of Drums and Disks in the end. I really don't like moving the powder hopper around on the various turrets. With one on each turret, caliber changes are a 20 second affair.

SLG
02-13-2016, 11:07 AM
In the beginning, I had one Pro Disk that I changed between turrets. That got old (I acknowledged my laziness) and I got a Pro Disk for every turret. Now that I have tested the Pro Drum I was intending on buying one for every turret. But with your problems with RL-17, maybe I need to test all of my powders through it first. I may end up with a mix of Drums and Disks in the end. I really don't like moving the powder hopper around on the various turrets. With one on each turret, caliber changes are a 20 second affair.

I totally agree in concept, and the price to be lazy with the Lee stuff is low enough to make it work. I was just thinking that since I try to always empty the hopper when I'm done anyway, all it takes is to swap it to another turret and switch out the preset drums. OTOH, having extra Pro Drum's would still be faster and easier...which is the main reason I like the Lee Classic Turret so much.