PDA

View Full Version : Am I just lucky or am I doing something different?

Rich@CCC
02-11-2016, 01:51 PM
A couple topics have made me think about priming on my progressive press(metalic, Lee Load Master). It was brought up that there is a danger of chain fire detonation of the primers on the Load Master and to a lesser extent, another progressive press that primes on the down stroke.

I've been loading shot shells for about 30 years and pistol calibers for about 15 years. I started my pistol rounds with a turret press and went progressive about 6 years ago. First the Lee Pro 1000. Then, and currently on a Lee Load Master. I don't load thousands of rounds per month but I do load several thousand per year. I'd estimate that I've loaded well above 20,000 rounds of different calibers on my Load Master and probably as many on the Pro 1000. I have had many crushed primers, primers seated side ways and even had more than a few large pistol primers stuffed into small primer .45 cases.

I've never had a primer detonate on a press.

Is this really an issue? One poster related a personal experience with this so it, obviously can happen, but is it a problem that your average hand loader should be worried about? Lee actually makes a "blast shield" for the Load Master but I've always looked at it as massive overkill.

Chris Rhines
02-11-2016, 02:00 PM
I've once, on around ten years, had a primer detonate on my press (Dillon 650, I think). I've never had the primer tube chain-fire on me.

I've crushed dozens of primers without firing them.

NEPAKevin
02-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I had the primer tube on a Dillon SDB detonate once. Pretty much destroyed everything that was plastic in the primer feed and the low primer rod put a nice dent in the drywall of the ceiling. The primer tube contained most of the force and I'm glad I wear glasses. Dillon covered the repair parts under their no BS warranty. After many discussions, I have come to the understanding that the two primary causes of this are that Dillon's decapping pins are just the right size to latch onto the gap between the anvil and the case of Federal primers and the down stroke during the seating of the primer should be done with steady pressure as opposed to slamming it down, which should be common sense, but in my younger years, not so much. Some people have suggested putting smoothing the out side surface of the decapping pin and/or grinding down the tip to make it more pointy. I just slowed the down stroke and have had more harmonious outcomes. HTH

JV_
02-11-2016, 02:59 PM
I've detonated a tube, which (IIRC) Dillon calls the primer magazine, on my Super 1050. I think it was partially caused by excess residue from crushed primers spreading flame to the rest of the tube. When my 1050 was new, I had a LOT of priming problems.

The 1050 is not covered by Dillon's no BS warranty, so I had to buy the replacement parts.

GJM
02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
I had a whole tube of primers go on a 650 once. Pretty exciting, and the primer tube need up imbedded in the ceiling above me. I counted all my fingers, and considered myself lucky, given the circumstances.

SecondsCount
02-11-2016, 05:16 PM
I have two 550's, a 650, and a 1050 and between them have loaded close to 100K rounds. Never had an issue but I slow down just a little bit when seating the primer as I like to feel it.

SLG
02-11-2016, 05:19 PM
I have two 550's, a 650, and a 1050 and between them have loaded close to 100K rounds. Never had an issue but I slow down just a little bit when seating the primer as I like to feel it.

So...one 550 with large primers, one with small. Is that correct? What about the 650 and 1050? How do you use the 4 machines?

SecondsCount
02-11-2016, 05:36 PM
So...one 550 with large primers, one with small. Is that correct? What about the 650 and 1050? How do you use the 4 machines?

My first press was the 550, bought new in 1992, and I loaded 9mm, 38 SPL, 357 Mag, 40S&W, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 223 on it. Currently it is at my step brothers and he loads 9mm and 45ACP on it. I bought the other 550 used so I wouldn't have to do the primer conversion and set it up for large primers. It gets used for short runs of ammo these days as 95% of my pistol shooting is 9mm.

The 650 has setups for 9mm, 40, and 45ACP but for the last three years has only been setup for 9mm.

The 1050 is setup for 223 although it came with a 45ACP setup. I love the primer pocket swager on the 1050 and sometimes just use it for swaging primer pockets.