PDA

View Full Version : 5.11 Holster Shirt, worth while as an option?

PNWTO
02-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Quick search here bounced back with little info so here I go:

Finally got the approval and, oddly enough, the encouragement to carry at work. Workplace dress code is pretty traditional business-casual (no jeans, tucked shirts, etc), with a few days mandating suits and some casual days. My two carry guns currently are a G19 and an MP340, and I'm planning on getting a 43 once I get off my knees with my medical insurer. I already am planning on picking up the JMCK AIWB Tuckable for the 43, as well as a pocket holster since my Nemesis has worked very well for the 340. For the sake of having options I am looking at the 5.11 shirt; by no means would it be a daily wear thing. It would simply be a gun in one side and probably a reload and a swat-t in the other.

Does anyone have some firsthand feedback if the shirt is worth the investment and/or attempt?

texasaggie2005
02-11-2016, 01:41 PM
I tried one on in a Gander Mountain and carried my G19 around the store for about 30 minutes. I thought it was horrible.

PNWTO
02-11-2016, 03:58 PM
I tried one on in a Gander Mountain and carried my G19 around the store for about 30 minutes. I thought it was horrible.

May I ask what specifically were the issues?

psalms144.1
02-11-2016, 04:37 PM
May I ask what specifically were the issues?We bought a couple at my last team, to see if they would work to conceal a G26 while following our principal during runs. Everyone who tried it hated it - the gun was unstable and constantly shifted, causing a "hot spot" that would be damn near a blister after a long run. I wouldn't want to wear one to the office for 8-10 hours for any reason.

This post https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19005-Advice-on-Carry-Position has plenty of good recommendations recommendations - you should read through it.

texasaggie2005
02-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Yeah, guess my hit & run comment wasn't very detailed. You'll have to excuse my recollection, as it was a few years ago I tried it.

1) My G19 was just too heavy and too thick to try and sandwich between my ribcage and upper arm. I found it very uncomfortable and it "printed" too much under my normal fit of shirts.

2) I felt it was a heavier cloth than what I would like to wear as an undershirt. Given I live in SE Texas, heat and humidity are things to consider when dressing during the summer.

3) No trigger guard. Now I tried this before I had a Raven VG2, so I didn't feel comfortable sticking a Glock trigger underneath a thin layer of spandex and having it muzzle my torso.

4) I didn't really get any draw reps in, but the location was awkward to get in and out of. Your only choice of outer shirt would have to be a button front, and you'd have to unbutton the top half to gain access. And, it just flat out didn't feel safe to me.

5) Totally personal, but the neck hole was uncomfortably tight.

abu fitna
02-11-2016, 05:12 PM
I have mixed feelings about this one.

The shirt has its uses. They are limited. It is however one possible solution for very low profile / NPE problems, assuming your build conceals at this position well enough.

It works well only for small frame weapons, such as single stack nine or j frame. It requires an additional solution to keep the weapon stable and oriented properly; and as noted to protect trigger from potential interference as the fabric alone is not very stiff. Oriented properly in this case should be muzzle down, as sweeping all in sight is poor form. A nemesis pocket holster will serve nicely due to the textured surface.

Draw is glacially slow, as with any pocket carry; compounded by near shoulder holster design. Like any shoulder holster, draw stroke should also be properly modified to ensure that one does not sweep the room when coming out of the holster, but rather twists wrist to present in a linear fashion. This can be not only slow but awkward, and can be interrupted at serious disadvantage to the user if one is in close quarters.

This however gets quite hot in addition to the existing density of the shirt fabric. Not ideal in warm weather; your mileage and tolerance may vary. Not great for running or other exertion - although it can through a weight session at the gym. Again, others may express different preferences.

Chuck Whitlock
02-11-2016, 05:39 PM
While it would share some of the same issues, the Kramer Confidant might be an option for you.

http://kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=65&categoryID=21

It would be lighter, and probably conceal well under a dark shirt that wasn't skin tight.

runcible
02-11-2016, 05:49 PM
They're probably the best of the "shirt with built in holster-pocket" idea, and are less-bad for carrying support equipment that isn't meant to be readily accessible but must be carried.

Access-wise, they're very limiting. They are difficult to retain if someone is attempting a take-away. They conceal very poorly for everyone I've seen try them, including myself; it's effectively impossible to try and balance out one's silhouette with a gun in one pocket. They're palpably constricting when worn. The fabric selection, like most synthetic compression shirts, has about a 1 year lifespan; the load bearing portion will handle a bit better, but everything around it will be visibly dying by the end of the year.

Does not play well with armor, at all.

JM Campbell
02-11-2016, 07:12 PM
I'm a pretty big dude, a shield in that contraption sucked while I wore a tux at my buddies wedding. Hot spots, printed even with the low cap mag. I'm in Texas and don't recommend for the heat, I was sweating like a fat kid at diet camp. I'd save the cash and look into something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

entropy
02-11-2016, 11:19 PM
The only shirt I have tried that REALLY worked was made by a place called "UndercoverComfort" out of ACY. Very well made and quite stable. Company owner was former FAM. I still have 2 but have "grown out" of them the past 10 years unfortunately.

LittleLebowski
02-12-2016, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't even consider it. I'd loan you a good AIWB holster if I had one for one of your carry guns. Just get a good JM custom.

PNWTO
02-12-2016, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't even consider it. I'd loan you a good AIWB holster if I had one for one of your carry guns. Just get a good JM custom.

I have four so I'm already into the Kool-Aid and that will be my primary means of carry. Just looking at tertiary options and variety.