PDA

View Full Version : What round for elephant?

Glenn E. Meyer
02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm a new gun owner and worry about what round would be appropriate for this situation?

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/02/a-wild-elephant-makes-a-destructive-run-through-an-indian-city/462165/

Would a Taurus Judge be useful? I don't like the grip on a Glock and can't hit the broad side of a pachyderm with it.

RJ
02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
A big one.

What do I win?

:cool:

But seriously, I'd defer to GJM; even more, if he lived a bit further south. :)

Sigfan26
02-10-2016, 12:29 PM
A 500 S&W with 700gr hard cast solids.

Drang
02-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Am I bad that the first thought that popped into my head was "Do the jingle! Do the jungle!"

BehindBlueI's
02-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Naval cannon?

RoyGBiv
02-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Would a Taurus Judge be useful? I don't like the grip on a Glock and can't hit the broad side of a pachyderm with it.
You musth be kidding.?

HCM
02-10-2016, 12:40 PM
595 Gibbs. With solids. Merely $15 per round.

http://www.adelbridge.com/product/bauska-brno-505-gibbs/

JHC
02-10-2016, 12:49 PM
I've seen vid of South African troops or game rangers culling a lot of elephants with FALs.

NEPAKevin
02-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Made me think of the elephants in Larson's far side cartoons.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/df/98/fc/df98fcb417951068ee24e7ccc0b97f4a.jpg

scott
02-10-2016, 12:58 PM
A 4 bore double rifle, because chances like that only come once. Style counts.

Jeep
02-10-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm a new gun owner and worry about what round would be appropriate for this situation?

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/02/a-wild-elephant-makes-a-destructive-run-through-an-indian-city/462165/

Yes--Definitely go with the Judge. Nothing says "One shot stop" like a Taurus Judge!

GJM
02-10-2016, 01:25 PM
.416 Rigby worked for me.

Kyle Reese
02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
MK 19

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
02-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Javelin

Colt191145lover
02-10-2016, 04:34 PM
7x57 Mauser ,for historical purposes :cool:

farscott
02-10-2016, 06:11 PM
7x57 Mauser ,for historical purposes :cool:

Yup, as that is what the man who shot 1,011 elephants used for about 800 of them. He called it the .275 Rigby.

Colt191145lover
02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Yup, as that is what the man who shot 1,011 elephants used for about 800 of them. He called it the .275 Rigby.

Yes sir! http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/9/15/karamoja-bells-275-rigby

NickA
02-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Seems like a far off problem, but an elephant did once kill someone right here in good 'ol Texas:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Diamond_(elephant)

Doesn't say what they calibers they used to execute him, but apparently it took some doing- 50 to 170 rounds. I assume it's because the Judge wasn't available at the time.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
02-11-2016, 10:49 AM
We have elephants at the local zoo, for the longest time the city also owned a Mannlicher rifle in .458WinMag for just in case, along with a very old 70 Winchester model in 30-06 for smaller stuff that might escape.

PNWTO
02-11-2016, 11:03 AM
We have elephants at the local zoo, for the longest time the city also owned a Mannlicher rifle in .458WinMag for just in case, along with a very old 70 Winchester model in 30-06 for smaller stuff that might escape.

I'm going to go ahead and believe a pith helmet was also part of this contingency kit, and maybe some khaki short shorts and an Enfield bandolier...

JAD
02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't use a round, I'd use a one, as in a one way ticket the f*** out of India.

TheNewbie
02-11-2016, 01:10 PM
9mm........it's all shot about placement........

Peally
02-11-2016, 01:12 PM

Not when it won't even go into the target. 9mm shot placement counts, except when you're fighting something like terminators.

SLG
02-11-2016, 01:47 PM
7x is cool, but 6.5x55 is even better, ime reading about africa.:-)

If not then definitely 9.3x62.

TheNewbie
02-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Not when it won't even go into the target. 9mm shot placement counts, except when you're fighting something like terminators.

I was joking. I am a 9mm fan, but even hiking in black bear country with my 9mm makes me feel a tad nervous.

RJ
02-11-2016, 02:34 PM

/thread :cool:

Peally
02-11-2016, 02:53 PM
I was joking. I am a 9mm fan, but even hiking in black bear country with my 9mm makes me feel a tad nervous.

I know ;)

Hambo
02-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Handgun? I guess if you're going to take the easy way out instead of getting stomped a handgun might work.

Josh Runkle
02-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Duh, 10mm out of an MP5 (MP10, whatever). Unless Kriss decides to make a 10mm version.

Or a Taurus Judge...in 10mm

NEPAKevin
02-11-2016, 03:27 PM

When I was in high school, there was a film that showed a pygmy killing an elephant with a single spear thrust IIRC just under the tail. Little dude did Marshall and Sanow proud.

Jeep
02-12-2016, 08:51 AM
When I was in high school, there was a film that showed a pygmy killing an elephant with a single spear thrust IIRC just under the tail. Little dude did Marshall and Sanow proud.

Just think of what he could have done with a Taurus Judge!

Dagga Boy
02-12-2016, 09:11 AM

I am working on acquiring a "Magic Cape Buffalo Killing Spear" from my cousins estate. He was like a grandfather to me and a charter memeber of Safari Club L.A., and his hunting trio was him, Roy Weatherby and Jimmy Doolittle. He was hunting in Africa and saw a guy froma local village run into a herb of Cape Buffalo with this massive spear. He killed a Cape Buffalo with it. My cousin said he "had to have" the spear. When he tried to buy the spear from the guy through a translator, he was told that no amount of money could separate the guy from the "magic Cape abut fall killing spear". $5 US dollars later of negotiation and the Magic Cape Buffalo Spear has hung in his office/man room ever since over the bar (because every real man room/office has a bar).

So, in honor of my cousin.....a 460 Weatherby Magnum (he used Hand built Weatherby magnums built for him by Roy Weatherby), and a magic spear. I figure that a magic spear is best as lighting off a 500 grain bullet at 2600 fps is going to hurt worse than the elephant charge.

scjbash
02-12-2016, 07:11 PM
So, in honor of my cousin.....a 460 Weatherby Magnum (he used Hand built Weatherby magnums built for him by Roy Weatherby), and a magic spear. I figure that a magic spear is best as lighting off a 500 grain bullet at 2600 fps is going to hurt worse than the elephant charge.

I was surprised at the recoil when I shot one. It wasn't pleasant by any means but I guess the gun weighing as much as a small car helped out. I'd still rather have the magic spear though. :D

Tamara
02-13-2016, 04:08 PM
He was like a grandfather to me and a charter memeber of Safari Club L.A., and his hunting trio was him, Roy Weatherby and Jimmy Doolittle.

That might be the most straight-up baller thing I've read here. :o

Hambo
02-14-2016, 06:45 AM
That might be the most straight-up baller thing I've read here. :o

Absolutely.

Magic spear, huh? Screw that, I want a handful of Roy's handloads for the .460.

GJM
02-14-2016, 06:59 AM
If you read up, talk to working PH's in Africa, and hunt buffalo and elephant, you will quickly conclude that the .460 Weatherby's velocity adds noise, recoil, but not extra killing power over cartridges in the 2,250-2,400 fps range.

Hambo
02-14-2016, 07:27 AM
I know that PH's don't like .460 in general, and why they dislike a lot of rifles clients drag over there. What I want is the actual cartridges Roy Weatherby handloaded. Not because I have a .460 or want to shoot anything with them. Because: Roy Weatherby.

GJM
02-14-2016, 07:31 AM
I know that PH's don't like .460 in general, and why they dislike a lot of rifles clients drag over there. What I want is the actual cartridges Roy Weatherby handloaded. Not because I have a .460 or want to shoot anything with them. Because: Roy Weatherby.

That is a good reason.

BTW, the .270 Weatherby is a great elk/deer cartridge.

Dagga Boy
02-14-2016, 11:28 AM
That is a good reason.

BTW, the .270 Weatherby is a great elk/deer cartridge.

You guys are all actually on the money. My cousin used two guns for a majority of his hunting. A .270 Weatherby Magnum that is now with another cousin in Alaska, and his big game rifle which was a .378 Weatherby Magnum that took everything from Cape Buffalo to Polar Bear. My cousin gave up most rifle hunting after the Polar Bear, and then a conflict with a PH in Africa as it was losing its sporting appeal. He was a renowned Fly Fisherman and was one of the originators of Slat Water Fly fishing and traveled the world fishing. This is a guy who would fly fish Kodiak Island into his 80's. Flew a PBY rescue aircraft in WWII. Guy was the example to me that Jewish boys could be a bad ass. Sadly, like many greatest generation folks, he had a couple of bizarre 60's counter culture kids who spent their entire lives revolting against him and his way of life. He loved having me around as I was everything he wished his kids were and I spent as much time as I could listening to his stories in awe and always asking questions. It was sad. After his recent death, his mom asked me to take a bunch of his guns. I asked for the Magic Spear as well. The son is trying to sell all his old acquisitions in his den and things that were collected and didn't want to let the spear go (also an old poachers flintlock and other neat stuff). He wanted to know why I wanted the spear and I told him the story. I had heard that story dozens of times over my life, yet his son never had heard it......says a lot. Here is one of my cousins 378 rounds and a Warthog skull that I always loved as a kid that now resides on the mantle in my den.

Hambo
02-15-2016, 06:40 AM
I would have loved to meet your cousin.

SteveB
02-15-2016, 11:34 AM
.416 Rigby worked for me.

GJM called me up before this trip, asked me if I wanted to "help" him sight in his new elephant rifle. We go out to his pistol range, set up a 50 yard target, and he gives me an upside-down plastic garbage can for a rest. I'd shot slugs and .45-70's from rice-paddy prone, figured that would be a good position for the tall grass in Botswana. Happily, this was before cell-phone video as I ended up on my ass. When he finally gets control of himself, we look at the target, see the center hit, he says "We're good, time for lunch".

GJM
02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
GJM called me up before this trip, asked me if I wanted to "help" him sight in his new elephant rifle. We go out to his pistol range, set up a 50 yard target, and he gives me an upside-down plastic garbage can for a rest. I'd shot slugs and .45-70's from rice-paddy prone, figured that would be a good position for the tall grass in Botswana. Happily, this was before cell-phone video as I ended up on my ass. When he finally gets control of himself, we look at the target, see the center hit, he says "We're good, time for lunch".

Steve gets points for effort if not accuracy. That Rigby had been to Zimbabwe previously and harvested buffalo, and this trip was also to Zimbabwe. What he does have absolutely right is the surprise at the first shot. Reminds me of that first shot of Buffalo Bore by Darryl through his new Guide Gun a few weeks back. :)

Dagga Boy
02-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Steve gets points for effort if not accuracy. That Rigby had been to Zimbabwe previously and harvested buffalo, and this trip was also to Zimbabwe. What he does have absolutely right is the surprise at the first shot. Reminds me of that first shot of Buffalo Bore by Darryl through his new Guide Gun a few weeks back. :)

Except I remained standing....:cool:

GJM
02-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Except I remained standing....:cool:

That is right, but for a moment it was touch and go.

GJM
02-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Steve's story reminded me of one of the dumber things I have done. I was at Gunsite for their Backcountry course, and had several rifles with me. Mid week, we shot this outdoor simulator. I got the bright idea to do it with my CZ .458 Lott. I shot 24 rounds of full power .458 Lott, from field positions, in about five minutes. My shoulder was OK, but my head was pretty spun up. Dump crap like that no doubt contributed to my torn retina a few years back.

Dagga Boy
02-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Thankfully.....we have gotten to the point of limiting dumb things in our lives. The best thing about YouTube is to watch other morons do what you are thinking with no consequences....Ahhh, the modern world. For the Raptor fans...this is what I think about doing, but don't have to because stupid people already have and filmed it.....:p

https://youtu.be/JKQdlXvbWSU

GJM
02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Thankfully.....we have gotten to the point of limiting dumb things in our lives. The best thing about YouTube is to watch other morons do what you are thinking with no consequences....Ahhh, the modern world. For the Raptor fans...this is what I think about doing, but don't have to because stupid people already have and filmed it.....:p

Good thing there was no smart phone video then, or I would have probably run it again to improve on something and damaged both eyes and my shoulder.

Back to you and the lever gun, I would have paid $100 if it actually knocked you over and $200 if we got it on film -- think of what I could have done with that video. I would call your look surprised, but it was going to take a lot more to rock you.

Dagga Boy
02-16-2016, 08:15 AM
Good thing there was no smart phone video then, or I would have probably run it again to improve on something and damaged both eyes and my shoulder.

Back to you and the lever gun, I would have paid $100 if it actually knocked you over and $200 if we got it on film -- think of what I could have done with that video. I would call your look surprised, but it was going to take a lot more to rock you.

Double edged sword....I did a demo shoot with a Barrett .50 at SHOT and had two pieces of brass in the air together on a pair. First thing I said was "please tell me someone got that on video".....crickets. Always seems like the bad ends up on video and the good stuff has GJM filming his shoes....:p

SLG
02-16-2016, 08:41 AM

Some people deserve whatever happens to them What did they think was going to happen? Dukes of Hazard, just keep driving? Morons.

Hambo
02-16-2016, 08:54 AM

It's hard to look badass when your airbags deploy. That was a pretty expensive jump.

GRV
02-16-2016, 08:58 AM

Just made my day. I'm literally sitting here cracking up out loud by myself.

JAD
02-17-2016, 12:18 AM
Some people deserve whatever happens to them What did they think was going to happen? Dukes of Hazard, just keep driving? Morons.

If only they'd welded the doors shut.

dbateman
02-22-2016, 05:14 AM
I've seen vid of South African troops or game rangers culling a lot of elephants with FALs.

It works but you need someone who knows what's what, because if they get it wrong those things absorb a lot of lead.

450/400, 470 or 500ne for me.

LHS
02-22-2016, 11:49 AM
I've shot a few of the big calibers, but the most brutal was a Verney-Carron .600NE double. I'm not a small man by any stretch, and recoil control is something I've practiced pretty much since birth. This one stretched my capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWMNl_1zxBc

For me, the 9.3x62 in a bolt gun, or the .450/400 in a double, is plenty good medicine.