PDA

View Full Version : Found myself in a gun rag.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-10-2016, 11:56 AM
I was browsing in Barnes and Noble the other day and found a magazine on the racks: Personal and Home Defense with the following article:

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/11/massad-ayoob-6-must-know-court-cases-for-gun-owners/#massad-ayoob-6-must-know-court-cases-for-gun-owners-1

Towards the end it mentions my work with the students. I think it is neat that research done at Trinity U. with student co-authors is now on the magazine racks across the entire USA. I must say that I did get some flack for being interested in firearms issues. Horrors!

I was asked to give a talk to a Texas Bar Continuing Legal Ed. seminar and Mas was there. About 170 lawyers. It was very interesting. Based on the research we did on gun appearance.

Lots of students are gun friendly, even though most faculty and administration aren't. There are pockets of gun friendly faculty/staff who actually have served and/or trained quite well.

StraitR
02-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Outstanding, Glenn.

Duces Tecum
02-10-2016, 12:58 PM
This is certainly not directed at Glenn, but rather at the author of the piece.

SNIP The Second Amendment is one bastion of our ability to protect ourselves, though it is certainly not the only wellspring of that right. It was good to hear Attorney Stephen Halbrook discuss the fine points of Case One, Heller v. District of Columbia, and Case Two, McDonald v. City of Chicago, the two relatively recent U.S. Supreme Court cases which solidly confirmed that the right to keep and bear arms is in fact an individual right in this country. SNIP

Not to put too fine a point on it, but "bear" has yet to be decided.

And if "bear" finally settles our way, the litigation will pivot to "shall not be infringed". That discussion should last until the cows come home.