PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Lightweight Commander?

Trooper224
02-10-2016, 12:27 AM
Anyone have any experience with this model? I'm known as the 1911 guy amongst my coworkers, but I have zero experience with this model. More than a little experience with the brand, but none with their 1911s. A fellow troop is considering one and I'd appreciate some hands-on feedback.

TheNewbie
02-10-2016, 12:56 AM
I shot the Full Sized Ruger Sr 1911 in a 1 on 1 pistol class with Randy Dehay from Craft International. It was my first real experience with a 1911 and the first time I had shot very many rounds through the gun. By the end of the day I was shooting better than I ever have and found the gun easy to shoot at speed and distance.

The bad is that in 300-400 rounds I had 3 malfunctions. Though they all happened in the first few rounds and seemed to clear up. I used Wilson 7 and 8 rounds mags, chip 8 rounders, and the two that come with the gun. I no longer have the gun because I didn't carry it.

Hicock45 does a review of the particular gun in question. I think like many light weight commanders, it's not problem free in his video/experience.

45dotACP
02-10-2016, 02:52 AM
I haven't had any significant experience with one, but I've heard good things. Their lightweight model has a steel insert in the feed ramp, so that's a fairly nice touch for that price point.

I've been fighting the temptation for their TALO model with a rail for mounting options.

rob_s
02-10-2016, 04:46 AM
This new Ruger line of 1911s has me very interested. There are not a lot of companies making a true lightweight commander anymore (meaning aluminum frame, 7 round mag, 4.25" barrel with bushing). They even seem to have a light rail, 5", .45 option. All that's missing for me is a non-railed full size 9mm. Well, that and some sense that the guns actually run.

breakingtime91
02-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Anyone have any experience with this model? I'm known as the 1911 guy amongst my coworkers, but I have zero experience with this model. More than a little experience with the brand, but none with their 1911s. A fellow troop is considering one and I'd appreciate some hands-on feedback.

I believe colt just released a new lw commander for 2016.. I would point him in that direction.

Trooper224
02-10-2016, 10:41 AM
I believe colt just released a new lw commander for 2016.. I would point him in that direction.

I've tried that as that would be my personal choice, but he seems focused on the Ruger.

rob_s
02-10-2016, 11:10 AM

I've tried that as that would be my personal choice, but he seems focused on the Ruger.

Hmmm, I missed that, or forgot it.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/LightweightCommander.aspx

Any idea why he'd want a Ruger over a Colt? MSRP seems similar.

Trooper224
02-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Hmmm, I missed that, or forgot it.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/LightweightCommander.aspx

Any idea why he'd want a Ruger over a Colt? MSRP seems similar.

He has a full size Talo Ruger. The Nightwatchman I think? He's been having good success with that one, so he's stoked on the LWC for carry. He's an accomplished and serious shooter, not a pogue. I've generally stuck with Colts and Springfields over the last thirty years, as I've always had good luck with them. Ruger 1911s are an unknown for me.

rob_s
02-10-2016, 11:38 AM
He has a full size Talo Ruger. The Nightwatchman I think? He's been having good success with that one, so he's stoked on the LWC for carry. He's an accomplished and serious shooter, not a pogue. I've generally stuck with Colts and Springfields over the last thirty years, as I've always had good luck with them. Ruger 1911s are an unknown for me.

Honestly, that's as good a reason as any other.

I'm curious to see what you get for feedback on this.

breakingtime91
02-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Honestly, that's as good a reason as any other.

I'm curious to see what you get for feedback on this.

I'll be interested also. I have seen one ruger 1911 not perform well. Have seen quite a few colts (railed version) that seemed robust and reliable over time.

MGW
02-11-2016, 10:40 AM

I missed the last sentence of your post. Said troop has been looking hard at this pistol for awhile now. I'm really impressed with the full size Ruger he has. Really a nice shooting pistol.

I want him to buy the LW so I can help him try to wear it out. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trooper224
02-11-2016, 02:31 PM
I missed the last sentence of your post. Said troop has been looking hard at this pistol for awhile now. I'm really impressed with the full size Ruger he has. Really a nice shooting pistol.

I want him to buy the LW so I can help him try to wear it out. [emoji3]

For the sake of full disclosure, I'm looking for a Lightweight Commander of some kind myself, so I have a vested interest here. ;)

Yesterday I found one of these at a local shop. Handling alone didn't reveal anything negative. I was actually impressed with the overall fit of the build. A little grit in the slide movement and some creep in the trigger, but nothing a little lube and a few hundred rounds wouldn't smooth out. I also happened to find a Nightwatchman at another shop. If I was looking for a full size five-inch gun that one would merit consideration.

MGW
02-11-2016, 04:14 PM
For the sake of full disclosure, I'm looking for a Lightweight Commander of some kind myself, so I have a vested interest here. ;)

Yesterday I found one of these at a local shop. Handling alone didn't reveal anything negative. I was actually impressed with the overall fit of the build. A little grit in the slide movement and some creep in the trigger, but nothing a little lube and a few hundred rounds wouldn't smooth out. I also happened to find a Nightwatchman at another shop. If I was looking for a full size five-inch gun that one would merit consideration.

Looks like they are offering the LW commander in the Nightwatchman configuration now. http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6720.html

Personally I was pretty excited when Springfield announced the 4" EMP. I'm going to wait a good long while though and see how they hold up.

SecondsCount
02-11-2016, 04:59 PM
I have a friend that has one. Not a lot of rounds through it but it runs.

He has the full size as well and has had no issues with it.

I think you are taking a chance with either Colt or Ruger. They both are your typical production grade 1911's. The Colt will have more resale value.

Trooper224
02-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Just to clarify, and I don't intend to be rude, I'm not interested in opinions on the subjective worth of production 1911's v. custom 1911's, etc. We've seen plenty of those threads already. I'm trying to gain real information on this particular model, ie. hands-on experience. I don't need the clutter of opinions on the worth of sub-$1000.00 guns or anything of the like. I've been using 1911's in a professional capacity for thirty years. I have my own opinions on the matter and I don't need anyone else's. Consequently, if you have opinions on the Ruger Lightweight Commander, good or bad, (especially the bad) please share them. If not, please stay in your lane. It will save you the time of typing a response that I have no desire to read.

breakingtime91
02-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Just to clarify, and I don't intend to be rude, I'm not interested in opinions on the subjective worth of production 1911's v. custom 1911's, etc. We've seen plenty of those threads already. I'm trying to gain real information on this particular model, ie. hands-on experience. I don't need the clutter of opinions on the worth of sub-$1000.00 guns or anything of the like. I've been using 1911's in a professional capacity for thirty years. I have my own opinions on the matter and I don't need anyone else's. Consequently, if you have opinions on the Ruger Lightweight Commander, good or bad, (especially the bad) please share them. If not, please stay in your lane. It will save you the time of typing a response that I have no desire to read.

Not trying to be rude but maybe the lack of reviews is a clue.

Stumpnav
02-11-2016, 07:50 PM
I've got one. 850 rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind.

Mags have all been Wilson. Ammo has all been 230 FMJ...PMC, Estate, Magtech and Freedom Munitions.

Before I shot it I detail stripped it and cleaned it of all the factory grease and oil. I assembled it and lubed it per Wilson guidelines. When shooting it, I lubed it at 400rds per Larry Vickers suggestions.

The only thing I plan to change is putting the Wilson flat wire recoil spring in it.

Stump

Trooper224
02-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Not trying to be rude but maybe the lack of reviews is a clue.

Could be. If this thread turns into an echo chamber that's an indicator. However, I don't emotionally invest myself in objects and I have no dog in the fight, so I'd like to see some honest opinions, either good or bad. If someone discounts it simply because they don't like the company, or don't bother with sub-3K 1911s and have no actual experience with the model, that's not a relevant opinion as far as I'm concerned. I have opinions about the company and their product in general, but I have no experience with the SR1911. I've been repeatedly asked about this model since it's intro and that's what I tell people: I have no experience with it. The 1911 in general is a subject many people can't seem to be objective about, on both sides of the issue. I rather gain some useful information than see this thread spiral down into that rabbit hole.

11B10
02-11-2016, 08:54 PM
I haven't had any significant experience with one, but I've heard good things. Their lightweight model has a steel insert in the feed ramp, so that's a fairly nice touch for that price point.

I've been fighting the temptation for their TALO model with a rail for mounting options.

It's actually a titanium insert in the feed ramp.

Rustin
02-13-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm very interested in the ruger.

I feel it offers distinct advantages over the colt.

70 series style. No extra firing pin safety. Instead they do it like Springfield does. Extra heavy main spring paired with a light titanium firing pin.

The plunger is staked to the frame.

Last but certainly not least, the Ruger lightweight has a titanium insert wedded into the frame on the feedramp. This should alleviate the issues found onv the older colt lightweights, such as a gouged feed ramp.

If its reliable it would make for a nearly perfect carry 1911.

Its like a skinny g17 with way less ammo.

Does anyone here have any reservations concerning this pistol for aiwb?

Willard
02-13-2016, 11:20 PM
I feel it offers distinct advantages over the colt.

The plunger is staked to the frame.

The plunger is integral with the frame, not staked.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6720.html

Per website, "Integral plunger tube for slide stop and thumb safety is not staked and will never come loose."

45dotACP
02-13-2016, 11:50 PM
The plunger is integral with the frame, not staked.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6720.html

Per website, "Integral plunger tube for slide stop and thumb safety is not staked and will never come loose."

That in and of itself is one of the reasons I'm looking at the Ruger 1911. That said, the staked tubes have yet to come loose on any my 1911's after well over 10,000 rounds through my Caspian. More on Caspian 1911's later...

I've found 1911's are generally pretty easy to massage into working well. I haven't done much besides just kinda coonfinger a Ruger at a local fun shop...nothing seemed obviously out of spec, the frame and barrel ramps seemed machined to the correct angle with the right gap but it'd be hard to check without a protractor of some sort. For a 1911 that has problems "jamming" I'd boil it down to either a crappy mag or an extractor/ejector issue. Not one of those is a difficult fix with just some armorer level maintenance. I've yet to encounter a 1911 that needed the frame or barrel ramp recut, but then again, I'm also not a high volume 1911 smiff. I still get the feeling it's a rare occurrence.

The Ruger has got a lot of neat features for the price, I'll say that much. And if you've ever shot a Caspian chances are a Ruger won't have a significantly different quality, seeing as Ruger owns the gear that Caspian makes a 1911. My Caspian has been thousands and thousands of rounds without a malfunction...except for when I let it get about 1500 rounds without cleaning it.

I'd make the bet.

Trooper224
02-14-2016, 03:19 AM
When the SR1911 was first introduced, I read some consternation about the plunger tube being integral instead of staked. Apparently some are concerned that if you smash it you're out of luck on an easy replacement. I suppose this is true. However, I will say that in all my years of using 1911s, I've never smashed a plunger tube and have had exactly one come loose. Whether a 1911s plunger tube is cast into the frame or staked on isn't a factor for me personally.

Willard
02-14-2016, 06:12 PM
When the SR1911 was first introduced, I read some consternation about the plunger tube being integral instead of staked. Apparently some are concerned that if you smash it you're out of luck on an easy replacement. I suppose this is true. However, I will say that in all my years of using 1911s, I've never smashed a plunger tube and have had exactly one come loose. Whether a 1911s plunger tube is cast into the frame or staked on isn't a factor for me personally.

This was a concern for me.

JV_
02-14-2016, 07:14 PM
If an integral plunger tube is damaged, can't you just have it milled away and drilled for a removable one? It would be a fairly inexpensive fix.

shooter220
02-14-2016, 09:44 PM
If an integral plunger tube is damaged, can't you just have it milled away and drilled for a removable one? It would be a fairly inexpensive fix.

I would think if you damaged an integral plunger tube you probably busted a lot more than the plunger tube. I would think the frame and slide would likely both be compromised.

-shooter

Trooper224
02-15-2016, 01:42 AM
I would think if you damaged an integral plunger tube you probably busted a lot more than the plunger tube. I would think the frame and slide would likely both be compromised.

-shooter

Agreed.

JAD
07-01-2016, 10:51 AM
The lightweight commander is a terrible idea, but I'm glad Ruger is bringing this out. Maybe people will get it and have trouble with it and it will keep them from going down that dark, muddy road.

Once you start carrying and shooting one, it's really hard to go back to a real gun.

Willard
07-01-2016, 12:17 PM
The lightweight commander is a terrible idea, but I'm glad Ruger is bringing this out. Maybe people will get it and have trouble with it and it will keep them from going down that dark, muddy road.

Once you start carrying and shooting one, it's really hard to go back to a real gun.

Not being a wise guy, but curiosity piqued. You say it is a bad idea and then say if you shoot one it is hard to go back to a real gun. I suspect if it was inherently unreliable, one would repent quickly. So is this tongue in cheek, or do you really think a bad idea, and if so, why hard to go back?

JAD
07-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Tongue in cheek. I love LWCs above all firearms. I shoot them well and they carry well for me. I am continually torn by knowing that there are better (by at least the yardstick of capacity) things that I really should be carrying, but can't because I haven't invested in adequate coaching to be able to shoot them up to the level of my LWCs.

paul105
07-01-2016, 01:00 PM
I bought one at the end of Sept last year. Have put 1,440 rnds thru it to date. Everything from light 185gr Rem Golden Sabers to 265gr Kieth SWC at a chronoed 900 fps and a bunch in between. Haven't had any problems to date and don't remember any failures what so ever. I have seen reports on other forums of folks that have had issues, but I haven't. I personally like the narrow grip panels, but don't care for the mushy thumb safety and the body of the the thumb safety hangs over the edge of the frame a bit when off, rubbing the skin at the base of my thumb (I recontoured it). With that said, it's one of my favorites.

Yesterday, I picked up a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm. Very nice gun and I like the out of the box ergos a bit better than the Ruger. Relief cut at frame/trigger guard, Colt grips, narrow/positive engagement thumb safety and well contoured transition between thumb safety and frame. Only shot 50 rounds yesterday to function test but first impression was positive.

For whatever reason the last three fixed sight guns I've purchased have all shot high, requiring a higher front sight (Ruger LW Cmd, Kimber Pro Carry II and the Colt).

First range session with the Ruger

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/Paul105_photo/Hobby/IMG_0864_zpsahyvqokh.jpg

FWIW,

Paul

Specv
07-01-2016, 01:41 PM
I have owned the full size SR1911 about a year after they come out. I enjoyed the weapon and it shot very well. I had no miss feeds or any malfunctions. The only reason I let it go was because my hands sweat hard and with no checkering on the front strap it would start to walk on me. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they would checker the front strap. I love the 1911 in 9mm. It makes it easy to shot fast and make your hits.

Greg
07-01-2016, 09:52 PM
That in and of itself is one of the reasons I'm looking at the Ruger 1911. That said, the staked tubes have yet to come loose on any my 1911's after well over 10,000 rounds through my Caspian. More on Caspian 1911's later...

I have had only one come loose on a Springfield Armory (5" steel framed) that I ran pretty hard competing with it. I don't want to admit how long it has sat in an 7.62 ammo can waiting for me to restake it.

Good thing I have others....

fatdog
07-02-2016, 08:00 AM
A friend and former fellow USPSA competitor bought the LW commander version of the Ruger and he has been totally satisfied with his. I inquired about his round count and he estimates about 2000 maybe a little less, with no malfunctions of any kind after the first 200 rounds. He runs Wilson 8 round mags. A sample of one.

Mas
07-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Ruger has just announced this pistol in 9mm.