PDA

View Full Version : Help for tiny hands?

peterb
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
My wife recently expressed interest in starting to train to carry. One thing that I know will be an issue for her is that she has tiny hands -- she has to buy children's gloves because a women's S is too big for her. The last time we went shopping for her it was for a plinker, and the only thing that seemed like a reasonable fit was a Bearcat. She's 5'0" and not frail -- she happily whangs away at back-pasture clays with a 20-gauge pump.

So for those who teach/mentor: Are there any specific techniques have you found to be helpful for folks with unusually small hands? And what guns have you seen used successfully by folks with small hands?

Thanks!

mscott327
10-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I neither teach, nor mentor but my wife's hands are relatively small and she carries a glock 26. Have you tried an LCP or possibly a small revolver?

JAD
10-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I have small hands for a man (serious meatshovels for a girl, though). I would bet that custom grips on a round-butt K frame would be a favorite; that's a great way to start with a 22, anyway. There are a world of custom gripmakers out there who can handle the K frame particularly well.

The Kahr line is very friendly towards small hands. Both the Kahr and the revolver are disadvantageously double-action. Single action is more forgiving, since you use the tip rather than the crease of your finger.

I expect the Springfield EMP to be excellent, and you could easily fabricate a short trigger; I wonder if you could cobble some thin grips together, or work with David at VCD?

I run 1911s with slim grips and Videki triggers.

Al T.
10-10-2011, 11:29 AM
IMHO, Jon has covered the bases very well. My ex seems about the same size as your lady. She liked round butt K frames. Her M10 3 inch barrel, round butt had the Pachmayr grips that exposed the back strap. She shot my 1911s well, but didn't care for automatics. Fit was fine though.

Take her to a gunstore and let her see what works.

www.CorneredCat.com

dookie1481
10-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I have midget hands as well, though probably not as small as hers. The M&P with the small backstrap is tiny, even too small for my hands, so that or the M&Pc is something she may want to try.

Reversing the mag release is a tremendous help as well, it has made reloads much faster and more efficient for me.

JAD
10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Something else to consider is that single-stacks are easier for us circus people (you know, small hands, smell like cabbage) to index than double-stacks and some revolver grips. Index is critical for us because we try to cheat trigger reach (again, especially on DAs). This was one of my real epiphanies in early shooting.

DocGKR
10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Some good advice. I'd look strongly at an M&P/M&Pc with small grip insert, as well as try a 1911 with short trigger.

JHC
10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
+1 on many good ideas thus far. Saturday I handled a Walther PPQ. It is not a long vetted model however. OTOH, although Kahr's are - some models seem to be quality variable. But back to the PPQ - my impression was that the small grip, mag release levers on the trigger guard like the HK, and slide release also like HK seem like they'd work well with smaller hands. And BTW the trigger was very nice. Maybe too nice/light.

CCT125US
10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
My wife and I are in the same boat.... Just as a point of reference my hand measures 7.5" from thumb tip to pinky tip when my fingers are comfortably spread apart. My wife's keebler elfin circus midget hands are about 6" using the same method. She uses a P30 with small panels all around and I use large latteral panels and a small backstrap on mine. BTW I am 5' 0" 120lbs and my wife is 5' 2" She also likes her LCP for size but not so much for range use and the Ruger MKII is one of her favorite .22 plinkers..

SecondsCount
10-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Some good advice. I'd look strongly at an M&P/M&Pc with small grip insert, as well as try a 1911 with short trigger.

I second this. My wife carries a 4.25" 1911 with a short trigger. A few ladies that she shoots with have the M&P 9c and like them.

She tried the Springfield EMP 9mm but it would never run right for her, even after a trip back to the factory. It seemed to run well in my hands but I would only shoot a couple mags through it at a time. Even with a solid thumbs forward grip it gave her issues. Sweet little package but too finicky for our taste.

jslaker
10-11-2011, 07:58 AM
I'll echo the comments on the M&P9c. I know a couple of ladies with very small hands that fell in love with that model after trying it.

LittleLebowski
10-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Walther PPS and the M&P 9C are tops in this category.

SecondsCount
10-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Walther PPS and the M&P 9C are tops in this category.

I had forgotten about the Walther PPS. It seems to be gaining some popularity among my wife's friends as well.

One thing I forgot to mention about the 1911- My wife has slim grips on hers and I load her practice ammo down using 200 grain bullets and a lighter powder charge. She couldn't make it through more than a couple hundred rounds at a time otherwise.

Erick Gelhaus
10-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Am cursed with small hands and short fingers.

What I have - which seems to be comfortable & functional for others who've tried them - on the semi-auto side are:
- any of my 1911A1s, especially the one with a Bobtail conversion;
- grip reduced Glock 9mms;
- 9mm/.40SW framed M&P with the small insert;

41magfan
10-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't have any magic bullet advice for you, but I'd suggest that you not cut too many corners regarding "fit" if her hands are that small. The Kahr line (in 9mm & .380) would also be my suggestion and the Sig P238 is a very small pistol as well. I've handled some "slenderized" custom 1911's that were pretty neat, although a tad pricey.

Having attempted to train a significant number of small-handed men and women for decades with guns that just don't fit (LE agencies tend to be fairly inflexible regarding optional issued firearms) I can assure you that "size matters".

What's that old saying? "A hit with a _______ beats a miss with a _______." Proper fit can sometimes truly be a "hit & miss" affair .... pardon the pun.

ToddG
10-12-2011, 06:47 AM
A P30 using all "small" grip panels (left, right, and back) has a noticeably smaller grip circumference than even an M&P Compact. However, it may be bigger than a 5' tiny-handed girl wants to try to conceal.

Butzi Porsche
10-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Doesn't the M&P 9 have a shorter trigger reach, though?

OTOH, a V3 P30 in Single Action probably has an even shorter reach, at least at let-off.

A P30 using all "small" grip panels (left, right, and back) has a noticeably smaller grip circumference than even an M&P Compact. However, it may be bigger than a 5' tiny-handed girl wants to try to conceal.

John Ralston
10-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I would vote for the Kahr - super slim. Something like the P9 is nice and light, modest recoil and easily concealable. I have heard of a few problematic ones, but if they run, they usually run good. Ned Christiansen has good things to say about them, and coming from a 1911 God, that says a lot.

orionz06
10-21-2012, 10:49 AM
My wife loves the Shield. She hardly shoots, nothing more than being able to use what is in the house, but when I can get her to dry fire at home she digs it.

That said her small hands do not limit her from shooting a full size pistol either. I am likely close to alone on this but I find it hard to instantly relegate women to guns that we as gun guys don't like to shoot often.

Haraise
10-21-2012, 09:03 PM
My wife loves the Shield. She hardly shoots, nothing more than being able to use what is in the house, but when I can get her to dry fire at home she digs it.

That said her small hands do not limit her from shooting a full size pistol either. I am likely close to alone on this but I find it hard to instantly relegate women to guns that we as gun guys don't like to shoot often.

I don't think the P30, M&P and 1911 count as guns that aren't liked, and they're the recommendations most listed here...

I carry a Springfield EMP myself, concealed, and a Sig P238 in pocket. Don't overlook the P238. It's just about /perfect/ for on the thigh/ankle/pocket/IWB with tight tops...

1slow
10-21-2012, 10:47 PM
P2000SK LEM seems to fit the small handed well.

kennjen
10-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Don't forget the HK USP compact !

although, p2000 may be better due to the grip insert. I assume that grip size is similar.....(uses the same mag).

Chuck Haggard
10-22-2012, 11:29 PM
My wife has small hands as well. She greatly prefers her Kahr 9mms over my Glocks.

jon volk
10-23-2012, 06:49 PM
I have small hands as well and have really taken a liking to the s&w 3953. Trigger is quite similar to a DAK or LEM. The only downside is 8 in the box one in the hole. A spare mag is always on board though.

Butzi Porsche
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Some people love her reviews and some don't but she does illustrate the point in this thread very well. :rolleyes:
Her review of the Walther PPQ also have some very good "Hands ON" demonstrations of the PPQ, M&P and a Glock 19.
She shows some very clear shots of trigger reach issues for small hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPKyvdI3z68&feature=plcp

Falia Freedom Channel

TGS
10-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Todd mentioned the P30.

If the P30 is too big for her to conceal but she likes HK, there's always the P2000 and P2000sk which both have interchangeable back-straps.

Lets give mention to the Walther P99c as well, as long as we're considering double stack guns.

Also, when you guys go check out some Kahrs, realize that the polymer framed versions are noticeably thinner than the steel frame Kahrs.

It's a good time to be a small handed shooter. Options are plentiful.