PDA

View Full Version : Sorting brass

Slavex
02-08-2016, 02:26 AM
Finally got around to mounting a 5 gallon bucket on my old Midway tumbler. I need to grab another bucket to put inside this one as I want to put water in the bottom to help keep the dust down, even though this is in the garage. I wore my respirator while doing this anyhow. So much quicker than doing it by hand, once I figured out the right amount to pour in at a time (not in the video lol).

https://youtu.be/KTGrpoZJRFg

Rick_ICT
02-08-2016, 03:16 AM
9mm nested inside of .40S&W, the bane of reloaders everywhere.

Interesting idea for the automation, where did you get the sorting trays? They appear to be built for the purpose, but I haven't seen them before. A quick search at Midway didn't turn them up.

They've come up with so many great things since I quit reloading I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

Slavex
02-08-2016, 04:33 AM
I got them a few years ago from a local supplier up here and then the idea to attach to the tumbler from the wizards at BrianEnos.com I was actually surprised at how easily the nested 9mm and 40 came apart on their own most of the time. If you don't overload it, it works really well.

Rick_ICT
02-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Well, I went directly to the Midway USA site earlier and searched "brass sorting" and got no hits. But I just Googled the same and got directed right to them...on Midways's site no less, as well as others. Thanks for the tip!

GuanoLoco
02-08-2016, 09:21 AM
9mm nested inside of .40S&W, the bane of reloaders everywhere.

Interesting idea for the automation, where did you get the sorting trays? They appear to be built for the purpose, but I haven't seen them before. A quick search at Midway didn't turn them up.

They've come up with so many great things since I quit reloading I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1356

They are available all over and well worth it.

I started with wet tumbling and don't have a dry tumbler. I use the shell sorter on top of 2 5-gallon buckets. The bottom bucket has a lib and serves as a stand so less bending over. Put the shell sorter inserts in the top bucket. I really need to make offsets to separate them more.

For nested cases, like 9's in 40's, put a bucket lid over the 40 plate and shake the plate and lid vigorously, swirl and repeat. This will separate all but the most stubborn cases.

I usually keep up with sorting on brass ingest to the garage and rately have to deal with more than a gallon or 2 of brass at a time, so not sure I would pay $ for a vibratory tumbler. Maybe I'll trip over one cheap.