PDA

View Full Version : Lionheart industries lh9

Rustin
02-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Well, it appears that the pistol of my dreams, or damn close to, is real and has been around since 1989! Meet the Pacific northwest's take on the daewoo korean military sidearm.

http://www.lionheartindustries.com/firearms

Lionheart is located in Redmond, Washington. They import this classic pistol and work their magic on it. First, I'll explain what my "dream pistol" is.

Basically, a modernized hi power. I wanted a hi power/single action 9mm that had a light rail and an aluminum frame.

Now is the lh9 a modernized hi- power? Not exactly. Its more of a mix between a hi power, smith 5906 series with a delightful twist in the firing mechanism which has been called double action plus.

Essentially, you have a da/sa firearm, however, there is no manual decocker. This is where the design diverges into something that is surprisingly underrated.

Double action plus.

So you've made your pistol ready by chambering a round. Now, instead of a decocker, you press the hammer towards the firing pin and it will fall safely to a sort of half cock notch. Now your pistol is safely decocked, albeit in a strange manner, time for practicing a ridiculously heavy double action stoke, right? Not exactly...

In this mode you will have a long trigger pull reminiscent of a Tue double action but the weight isn't there. Instead, after pulling the trigger to the rear, the hammer will snap back into single action, giving you that wonderful, crisp sa trigger we all love.

As cool as this double action plus system is, the pistol can still be readily carried cocked and locked like a hi power, which is how I would prefer to carry it. The thumb safety, when on safe, doesn't prohibit the slide from moving and completely disconnects the trigger.

I initially overlooked the lionheart because it hasn't been around long but considering its just a gussied up daewoo, the pistol actually has a vetted combat record.

The reviews on this pistol have been overwhelmingly positive. Their machining is said to be the absolute best at the price point, and the overall fit and finish has been compared to semi customs. The slide appears to be running on ball bearings.

Now many in the gun community will balk at the notion of using a foreign pistol that wasn't made in Austria or Germany and I am of a similar mindset, but after looking into the lionheart company itself, the people running it are truly great people who care about what they do and your absolute satisfaction in their product. They seem to do social media very effectively and are easy to contact, even going as far to check back on their customers to ensure their customers are happy. Not much different than my nm serialized 1911 from Springfield armory. Made in croatia, given a bit extra live in the states.

I'm truly bored of striker fired pistols. I hope this company grows and the pistol becomes more popular. Its clear they listen to their customers feedback and will act accordingly.

Right now they have three pistols. The lh9, lh9 mk ii(lightrail) and the lh9 compact. All come standard with Novak sights. The pistil holds 13 rounds flush, 15 slightly protruded and takes s&w 59 and 69 series magazines.

Looks like a homerun in my book, and I'll be picking one up in the springtime.

Rustin
02-07-2016, 03:04 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiKmaXiuObKAhVEVyYKHVWhCFsQjB0IBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmonderno.com%2Fgun-reviews%2Flionheart-lh9-review%2F&psig=AFQjCNG-nK6kFJ_2ImrVYqt9MSqEUkVxuw&ust=1454961671802595&rct=j

Great review with a video at the end. This guy really pushes this pistol to the extreme.

JAD
02-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Regular poster Caleb Giddings brought PF's attention to the Daewoo Redux in 2014. He did a lot of pieces on it, but here's the short one.

http://youtu.be/xo7g0v1zHqc

Rustin
02-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Regular poster Caleb Giddings brought PF's attention to the Daewoo Redux in 2014. He did a lot of pieces on it, but here's the short one.

http://youtu.be/xo7g0v1zHqc

Thanks for the link. I'm somewhat of a research hound so I've exhausted any new information regarding the pistol because its lost in a sea of plastic guns with so-so triggers and a gun community that is mired in the swamp of tacticool fads and status quo.

Hopefully the pistol will gain some traction but the market is nigh on over saturated with new models being announced weekly.

I'll do my part to bring this pistol to the light. Thank goodness they had the foresight to partner with g-code as they were developing the pistol.

JAD
02-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Third year's the charm!

Stephanie B
02-07-2016, 04:04 PM
I think it looks more like it was descended from Smith & Wesson automatics.

HopetonBrown
02-07-2016, 04:34 PM
The reviews on this pistol have been overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiKmaXiuObKAhVEVyYKHVWhCFsQjB0IBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmonderno.com%2Fgun-reviews%2Flionheart-lh9-review%2F&psig=AFQjCNG-nK6kFJ_2ImrVYqt9MSqEUkVxuw&ust=1454961671802595&rct=j

Great review with a video at the end. This guy really pushes this pistol to the extreme.

99% of people who "review" pistols have no clue what they're talking about, and generally like everything. Caleb would be part of the 1%, but I'm doubtful he shoots the thing today.

Unfortunately pushing the pistol to the extreme in that review doesn't mean a bunch of rounds fired over an extended period of time shooting drills and tests that have benchmarks and can be scored/timed, but rather entails freezing it in ice and dropping it in mud, which seems to be the test du jour these days. From the article his shooting involved groups at various distances. Well, you can shoot tight groups with any pistol given no time constraints, and he only describes his as "respectable".

I bet if you ran into that reviewer today, he'd have a Glock 19 on him.

I forgot to bring a holster with me on Friday. If I had a Lionheart I would've had to sit out shooting that day. But since I had a Glock, I just borrowed a rig from one of the many other guys with G17s. I was at a local steel shoot once, and my friend's Glock 34 trigger return spring broke. Someone had a spare one on them, and 5 minutes later, he was back to shooting. Again, if it was a Lionheart, I guess a phone call Monday morning would've been the only remedy.

Lionheart is certainly a sexier name that Daewoo, though.

Edwin
02-07-2016, 09:02 PM
It's interesting that you compare it often to the Hi Power, which is right because of the Hi Power's SFS (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfssystem.shtml). But it really looks like the trigger bar and spring system are from a 90 series Beretta.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1000/5w7vn/products/62/images/470/Trigger_Assy__92126.1379992995.1200.900.png?c=2 (http://www.lionheartindustries.com/trigger-assembly/)

Willard
02-07-2016, 09:04 PM
the pistol actually has a vetted combat record.

How so? What country has S. Korea been to war with since Daewoo intro?

HCM
02-07-2016, 09:34 PM
How so? What country has S. Korea been to war with since Daewoo intro?

North Korea.

Plus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Korea_Armed_Forces#Overseas_deployment s

See section 6 = Overseas deployments

Willard
02-07-2016, 10:07 PM
North Korea.

Plus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Korea_Armed_Forces#Overseas_deployment s

See section 6 = Overseas deployments

Oh...sorry...I guess this just doesn't equate to "combat vetted" to me. That would entail actually using the pistol extensively in combat, evaluating its performance, and determining it performed well. This just shows some may have showed up in theater. May never have been removed from storage container or holster. But if this satisfies others great. Looks like a neat piece, I was just saying I wouldn't declare it a well vetted weapon. YMMV.

HCM
02-07-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm not rushing out to buy a Lionheart but the Koreans have been using the same basic design since the late 1980's. They don't have much of a civilian gun culture but their military and police are serious professionals.

The Daewoo / Lion heart is as vetted as the Beretta M9 and Glock 19 were prior to 9/11.

LockedBreech
02-08-2016, 02:09 AM
Held one recently. Was a nice gun. I wouldn't risk $600 on one but they go on fire sales for $400 sometimes which is interesting

JonInWA
02-08-2016, 04:15 PM
I remember that in the past Caleb was very impressed with the Lionhearts. I've looked at, and handled them, but never shot one. They strike me as a credible re-interpretation of a 2nd/3rd Generation Smith & Wesson 3900/5900 series autopistol, with the FN SFS option. Not that that's not desirable lineage per se, but I don't exactly recall the "parental DNA" as being noted for long-term durability (at least the S&W aspect-I literally don't know of anyone who's put hig roundcounts on a SFS-system gun) (but that doesn't mean it hasen't been done...

Personally, I think that there are better mainstream platforms with a more proven fielding track record.

Conversely, that's probably what a horse aficionado said to a potential car buyer circa early 1900s....So caveat emptor...

Best, Jon

Brian T
02-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I have quite a bit of trigger time the LH9N. At first I was hesitant, but I did end up liking it.

My concern with the DA+ trigger is that people without much,or any, training will depress the trigger far enough back to make the hammer go back to SA. I find this to be gun safety rule violation, seeing as if I'm gonna put my finger on the trigger, I am pressing it to fire the weapon. Just because you can treat it like a two stage trigger doesnt mean you should, in my meager opinion. When the DA+ is treated like a DA trigger, with one fluid movement to press the trigger until fire, it is excellent. People new to the LH9 would benefit with a solid dry firing plan.

For people that want a hammer fired weapon for AIWB, the LH9s arent bad.

Rustin
02-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your insight.

I agree that pre-staging the single action trigger is dangerous. Its unfortunate that the pistols most unique and in my opinion, underrated trigger system is ultimately overlooked because people dont understand how it works.

I am specifically looking for something a bit thinner than our typical, blocky striker fired guns. A 1911 or hi-power worn iwb is more comfortable for a skinny guy like myself.

Ive noticed from the videos I've seen from folks testing the pistol that they are having some difficulty when rapid firing. Looks like it might take a little getting used to. Have you had any issues with the gun?

All in all, Im still going to give it a try. I sincerely hope that hammer fired guns are here to stay because I can't seem to summon much enthusiasm for striker fired pistols. Then again I am bored to tears by most vehicles made after the 70s.

I'm 27 but the nostalgia I have for days gone by, the old America that is clearly on its dying bed, is intoxicating. I am firmly aware that a firearm is simply a tool and logic should trump any emotional wants yet I feel the desire to devorce myself from an increasingly sick society, and this repulsion to modernity leaves a bad taste for most modern accoutrements. More than likely I will stick to 1911s and bhps, but I'll keep a 9mm glock or two.

Strange how our destiny is molded.

HopetonBrown
02-11-2016, 08:10 PM

I agree that pre-staging the single action trigger is dangerous. Its unfortunate that the pistols most unique and in my opinion, underrated trigger system is ultimately overlooked because people dont understand how it works.

I am specifically looking for something a bit thinner than our typical, blocky striker fired guns. A 1911 or hi-power worn iwb is more comfortable for a skinny guy like myself.

Ive noticed from the videos I've seen from folks testing the pistol that they are having some difficulty when rapid firing. Looks like it might take a little getting used to. Have you had any issues with the gun?

All in all, Im still going to give it a try. I sincerely hope that hammer fired guns are here to stay because I can't seem to summon much enthusiasm for striker fired pistols. Then again I am bored to tears by most vehicles made after the 70s.

I'm 27 but the nostalgia I have for days gone by, the old America that is clearly on its dying bed, is intoxicating. I am firmly aware that a firearm is simply a tool and logic should trump any emotional wants yet I feel the desire to devorce myself from an increasingly sick society, and this repulsion to modernity leaves a bad taste for most modern accoutrements. More than likely I will stick to 1911s and bhps, but I'll keep a 9mm glock or two.

Strange how our destiny is molded.
Sounds like a lot of emotional reasons for choosing hardware.

Rustin
02-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Yes and I've acknowledged that sentiment. I don't tend to let it influence all of my life choices but the allure of the sirens call is tantalizing.

I know it would be far more practical to drive a corolla everyday but, eh, I'll deal with the headaches involved in owning a vintage pickup.

I find myself more willing to work on those old trucks than a soul crushingly boring corolla.

Same with 1911 and glock. I want to shoot 1911s more often. I'm willing to put in the work needed to deal with the higher maintenance level. The rewards are immense.

However, I still keep more modernized backups. After all, 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Sorry for getting off topic, the lh9 just made me realize my love for the old rather than the actual pistol.
At least I hijacked my own thread.

Brian T
02-14-2016, 02:10 PM

Eh, it isnt exactly thinner. Its still a double stack based off of both a S&W 59 and a Beretta 92. That said, if twig like you finds the BHP or 1911 comfortable for carry, I cant see you having a problem with the LH9N.

The only issues we noted was that it vertical strings its rounds, or at least ours did. It was still a good group for a factory gun; 4 inches or so at around 25 yards. I was recovering from a torn ulnar, so my shooting wasnt for accuracy as much as it was for getting familiar with the gun, and shooting again.

LockedBreech
03-14-2016, 01:45 PM
The basic one is on sale for $449 at Bud's right now. I think they usually have it for 600-625.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk