PDA

View Full Version : Info/impressions on carrying a G-26

gringop
02-06-2016, 03:29 AM
Backgound, I have carried and competed with a G-19 for over 13 years. Passed Tom Givens' Instructor class with it, local IDPA matches, ect .

My lifestyle being what it is now, I find myself carrying a LCP in pocket carry during the work week due to restrictions at work.

I am looking at G-26 as a easier to carry/stash 9mm. I understand that it will not be a pocket gun. I have shot my brother's G-26 once for around 20 rounds and was suitably impressed with it for sub-compact re. controlability and accuracy .

My question to the group is "Are there any weird things about the G-26 that make it totally different from G-19/G17s? I know that the recoil spring is different. I have lots of spare parts for Gen 2 and 3 G-19/G-17s. Will Ameriglo Defore sights send my G-26 rounds off into the stratosphere? Do "-" disconnectors work in them?

Give me your tired, your poor, the retched refuse of your G-26 experience and impressions.

Gringop

secondstoryguy
02-06-2016, 06:44 AM
I've found that concealing a G26 is not much different that concealing a G19 and therefore have sold off my G26s. If I need more concealment than my G19 I go down to my Shield or my G43.

GJM
02-06-2016, 07:07 AM
A 26 or 19, cut to s 26, is nice if you travel to ten round states.

Chuck Haggard
02-06-2016, 07:12 AM
NO issues with things like trigger parts, the - connectors work just fine. I've installed numerous examples into G26s.

At my old job we had maybe 200 of them that were personally purchased for BUGs/off-duty guns. No issues noted. Yes, they can be harder to run, but I noted that many average officer shot their 26 to a slightly higher score than their G17 on the KS C-POST course.

JHC
02-06-2016, 08:36 AM
This is the single best G26 thread I recall round heyah. I'm guessing you missed it and might dig it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17576-Boring-Topic-Glock-26

If I were limited to but one Glock I think it would be a 26. Deep cover carry options abound.

secondstoryguy
02-06-2016, 08:37 AM
Chuck's observations mirror mine with regards to people's score with G26s...for some reason they do seem to be higher.

deputyG23
02-06-2016, 09:45 AM
My G2.5 G26 is now a safe queen and hasn't been out in years. It was bought soon after it was released in the mid '90s and served as a pocket gun in place of a M38 Bodyguard Airweight that was immediately banned by my work when we began the revolver to SA transition in the late '80s. It was doable as a pocket gun, but certainly not as pocketable as a airweight J-frame. When work changed the duty caliber to .40, I was issued a G22 and a G27 and the 26 went into the back of the cabinet. My dress habits off duty usually allow carry of a G22 or 23, so the 27 (now mine) only comes out for occasional practice and yearly qualification since .40 ammo is available at work.
I finally got a state CWP so I could carry what I wanted off the clock and bought a new 442-2 for pocket carry.
I have considered selling either the 26 or the 27, or even both, because I have 9mm and .40 full size and compact Glocks already and they work for most of my carry needs. If my work allowed BUGS, the G27 would get the first bid for that job.

Nephrology
02-06-2016, 10:18 AM
I own a 26 and a 19. I find the 26 to be eminently shootable and, on my frame, conceals better than my 19 in the AIWB position. I carry it pretty often when it gets to T-shirt weather. That said, I also find it is far too big to be a workable pocket gun, unless we are talking heavy winter jacket pockets.

ranger
02-06-2016, 10:19 AM
We have two G26s - always amazed at how well they shoot for small size. I am using +2 pads on the magazines so I can get a "full grip".

Beat Trash
02-06-2016, 10:33 AM
I owned a Glock 26, the 2.5 version that was made shortly after the G26 was introduced. At the time, it was considered one of the smallest 9mm's out there. I had bought a FIST kydex pocket holster for it. Pocket carry was do-able with large pocket cargo type shorts. But there were better options for pocket carry.

I sold my Glock 26 off last year as I really had not shot or carried it much in at least 5 years. For my lifestyle and manner of dress, if I were going to carry the Glock 26 in a belt holster, then I could as easily conceal the Glock 19, which I prefer.

As for shooting the Glock 26, Not that much difference than shooting the Glock 19 until you get to a reload. You just have to take care not to pinch your palm during the reload.

I owned for factory magazines for my Glock 26. Two were left stock, and two had the pearce extended base plates attached (not the ones that added capacity, just the ones with the finger rest). The extended base plate added a lot in drawing the gun. But when I was shooting, I really didn't notice a difference between the stock baseplate and the extended one. I have large hands, and if my pinky can not rest on the gun, I just curl it under the base plate.

I was playing around with a gen4 Glock 26 in a store and it really got me to missing my Glock 26. I was all set to take a road trip to the nearest blue label dealer and pick one up. Then I started reading that there're now reports of the GLock 26's suffering from BTF and other issues that until now, they seemed to have been immune to.

JSGlock34
02-06-2016, 10:34 AM
I've found that concealing a G26 is not much different that concealing a G19 and therefore have sold off my G26s.

I am using +2 pads on the magazines so I can get a "full grip".

With the exception of ankle carry, I also found that concealing a G26 was not much different than carrying a G19, and did the same. I tended to favor the +2 extensions as well, which also made the G19/G26 size difference even less pronounced. That said, as others have noted, I never had cause to complain about the G26's accuracy or performance. It is a very shootable little gun.

Ryan77
02-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Admittedly I was one of the best shooters of my agency of 600, but never failed to score other than a 100 when qualifying with my backup gun G26 - love that gun. I can also say there is a quantifiable difference in concealability with the 19, even with ringer rests. It may not be enough to sway you out of a full grip and 5 more rounds but it's there.

LOKNLOD
02-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Chuck's observations mirror mine with regards to people's score with G26s...for some reason they do seem to be higher.

I think 26s are a little more inherently mechanically accurate, and I also think for many people, the dynamics of the interaction between the hump at the bottom of the grip and grip strength in the full size frames gives problems that lead to some difficulties. Meanwhile, the small hump on the 26 tucks right into pocket of the palm and stays put. What the short grip gives up in leverage for recoil control in rapid shooting, the gun seems to give back in accuracy.

Duces Tecum
02-06-2016, 11:42 AM
I have often carried a G-27 in a SmartCarry pouch holster, adjusted so the weapon rests very low on the torso. I've tried a G-23, but the smaller gun is significantly more discrete. A downside is that draw times increased to the 2.5 to 3 sec level. The offset is that when those three seconds expired I had an accurate weapon carrying 9+1 in my hand and, if those were insufficient, a G-23 reload available in the second (smaller) pocket of the SmartCarry.

I've never really thought of the G26/27 series as pocket guns, but -- because they take the same magazines as their larger siblings -- as NPE service pistols.

MRW
02-06-2016, 01:35 PM
I have a Gen 4 which has been my primary off duty carry for the past 2 years. Not a terribly high round count, but no problems yet. I've consistently shot a perfect score on my dept. qualification with it. I'm more accurate with it than my Gen 3 G19.

It's not a pocket gun though. Very easy to conceal with a good belt holster. I also had a Gen 3 G26 which I sold off a few years back. For me, the Gen 4 handles better at speed.

Clay
02-06-2016, 01:47 PM
I think the Glock 26 is the most versatile pistol Glock makes. It took a while for me to really warm up to them, but I think most shooters would be better served with a pair of G26's and an array of carry options. With a G26, Smartcarry and ankle holsters work well, some people roll with a G26 in a pocket, though I never could pull it off. My wife carries her G26 in a purse, or IWB. I have a spare G26 in a go-bag beside the bed. Paul Howe gave me the idea of having several G26's stashed in different bags/kits.

I shoot a stock 26 at about 80-90% of a G19. I could probably improve upon this if I shot the 26 more often. The stock 10-rnd mag takes some getting used to for some people, but it does make a G26 conceal really well in lots of holsters, for a lot of people. Having the option of using G19 and G17 mags is awesome as well. I recommend them every time I get a chance.

Sero Sed Serio
02-06-2016, 02:55 PM
It seems like I'm in the minority here, but for me the 26 offers a significant advantage in concealment over the 19. I believe that it's the shortest overall height among all the double-stack compacts (and even the PPS, IIRC).

It's a very easy gun to shoot, and shoot well, in spite of its size. Don't get it expecting it to be a pocket gun, unless you live in cargo pants, but aside from that it's a great companion to the 19 and an excellent option for a deep-concealment "real gun" or for ban state carry.

Rustin
02-07-2016, 03:27 PM
The size and weight makes a noticeable difference without hindering shootability. Its almost a half pound lighter than a g19. I've always prefered a 26 to a 19. For some reason it just shoots better for me whether it be slow/bullseye shots and even controlled pairs.

If you can deal with its girth, I would highly recommend it. Maybe in a tuck-able appendix holster. Otherwise, if its too wide I would suggest the walther pps m2.

Only snubs belong in the pocket(IMO).

Id recommend checking out kangaroo carry or even high end (kramer leather, Ritchie gunleather) ankle holsters for the Glock 26.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-07-2016, 03:47 PM
I've found that the 26 is a touch more concealable than the 19 depending on cover garment. Since I carry OWB given my physique or lack there of, the shorter grip and barrel are nice. As far as shooting it - it's fine. I took an Insights handgun class with one and as far as I could tell, I was at no significant disadvantage. It works at IDPA.

GAP
02-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Excellent carry option.. I participated in the G26 thread linked above. I fired approx 8,000 rounds through a G26 last year.

I found slow fire accuracy to be better from my 26 vs 19. I previously carried a 19 and ran them side by side from 50 yards. If I recall correctly, with the 26 my best 5 shot group from 50 yards was 3.25" with my average around 4-4.5".

...Please don't use pinky extensions. Only gripping with two fingers and allowing the backstrap hump to wedge against your hand forces a perfect grip. Adding somewhere for your pinky finger creates an unbalanced leverage point in the front and extends the length to almost G19 height. It was designed to be used with the flush mag.

Practice draws.. Lots of them. Initially it will be either awkward or slower, but like everything else you can and will adapt. I use Gen 4s with the beavertail backstrap. To establish my initial grip I drive my hand down hard into that backstrap. Obviously dependent on the user, but I find it helps. With practice your draw will be faster with the G26 than the G19 because there is less slide to clear.

The 26 carries much easier than a 19 in both size and weight. Additionally, I find if it does print a little it looks like a rectangle, not a handgun grip. You'll notice these characteristics more if you carry the 19 for a bit then switch.

Once I observed my overall accuracy, speed and drill scores it was a no brainer for me to switch.

I carry a G19 magazine as a spare so that eliminates the slower reload with a shorter G26 magazine. The desantis mag packer works exceptionally well for me in this application.

Isaac
02-07-2016, 08:41 PM
I think if you can draw and shoot it one handed then go for it. I found it hard to get a quick and secure grip on. But I have medium hands. Agree with GAP, looks like a horizontal pager or cell phone, not a gun, IWB.

gringop
02-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info folks, you have convinced me to start looking for one. It might take a while to find a good deal judging from the prices I am seeing.

Gringop

LOKNLOD
02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
RE: Concealment

In the AIWB position, I find the shorter grip just barely allows me to use a holster with less tuck/wedge feature. This improves the overall concealability of the gun/holster combo more than the mere difference in grip length itself would suggest.

GuanoLoco
02-07-2016, 11:11 PM
I find this baseplate to be a game change for my G27 - no additional printing, much better control, much more secure grip on the draw. Not associated with them but I am a big fan. I don't much care for any of the pinky extensions.

https://concealablecontrol.com

http://concealablecontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Waistband-and-Pistol_v2sk.png

Isaac
02-08-2016, 08:58 AM
I tried that baseplate, it helped once in hand, but didnt help me with the draw. I wonder if this thread would get different answers if it were posted in the gun handling section. Maybe someone who's been thru ECQC, or has some done some testing with a blue gun G26 could chime in.

GuanoLoco
02-08-2016, 09:08 AM
I found the tab to be useful in hooking my pinkie on the draw.

I am also fond of carrying a G27 with a 13 round compact magazine, a mag extender and the baseplate. In this configuration it hooks the outside of my pinkie for a very secure grip. Obviously some concealbility is lost but the short muzzle is nice especially for AIWB.

rob_s
02-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Count me as one of the people that finds the G26 far easier to conceal than even the G19. I keep a G26 as my "car gun" in a locked vault with two spare G17 mags, a traditional IWB holster, and two mag pouches. I've also been known to keep a couple of boxes of ball ammo in there in case I get a chance to shoot a match I hadn't considered.

The #1 lesson for me with the G26 is, as others have mentioned, getting a firing grip before starting the draw. For me, holster selection is everything in this, and I find the higher-ride to make things easier. The difficulty is that the short muzzle makes a higher-ride less stable, and if you're going to carry a G26 in a G19 or G17 holser (one of the accepted fixes for the instability) then you're approaching being better off with the G19 to begin with.

So, for me, the G26 really is a do-all since it lives in the truck and might even be used in a match. If that wasn't the case, I'd probably skip the G26 and go to the G43. As it is, I still intend to buy a G42 and a G43 as I can think of times I might prefer both over the G26. All, of course, very special snowflake, starbelly kinds of reasons. I'd be perfectly happy with nothing but a G19 and G26 if cost, storage, etc. were issues.

orionz06
02-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Count me as one of the people that finds the G26 far easier to conceal than even the G19.

Are you using a 26 length holster or longer?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

JHC
02-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Great G26 concealment options I've been happy with include a Dark Star straight drop G17 clip holster, G19 and G17 FIST #1K canted, a G26 FIST #1K straight drop and a Smart Carry ordered for a G42, which actually really grips the G26 very snugly - used as an under the belt belly band. And the VG2.

UNK
02-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Which is preferred...Gen 3 or 4

Don't know if it maters to anyone but the Gen 3 CT LG are 179 and Gen 4 are 214 at Amazon.

rob_s
02-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Are you using a 26 length holster or longer?

Depends on how you see the question.

I carry in the Infidel with the open-bottom that accommodates all slide lengths. The larger mouth helps with the stability without adding length.

http://www.comp-tac.com/infidel-holster-10222

GAP
02-08-2016, 12:55 PM
I use a G19 length JM Custom IWB3 with my G26. Having a little extra length works better in my opinion.

GAP
02-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Which is preferred...Gen 3 or 4

Don't know if it maters to anyone but the Gen 3 CT LG are 179 and Gen 4 are 214 at Amazon.

Gen 4 for me because I'm lefty, enjoy the larger mag release and use the Beavertail backstrap.

BigT
02-08-2016, 01:24 PM
If I could only own one gun it would be my G26. I shoot it about as well as a 19 and I find it conceals noticeably better than one. I also find it conceals more comfortably.

Running some one drills this weekend , while a +2 mag"feels" better I shot a tiny bit faster and noticeably more accurately with a flush 10 round mag with a Vickers floor plate fitted. And I have big hands.

Mine went through ecqc with no issue.

They do suffer when reloading over bigger boasters, but to be honest that's pretty low on my giveafuckometer when it comes to a carry gun.

sfran943
02-08-2016, 02:14 PM
I carry the 26/27 on and off since they came out in 1995. Everyday for the last 8 years, plain clothes/covert duty as well as off duty. Unless we are doing a planned enforcement operation, then it's G-17. The 26 is good to go, I oddly shoot I almost as well as the 17 albeit not as fast.

So short answer awesome CCW gun.

It is not enough gun for me to purposely wade into a conflict with if it can be avoided (then again what pistol is? Ha). For example a few years ago I ended up in a situation where we had shots fired on entry, that 26 just didn't feel like enough gun for that mission. Then again, I wasn't supposed to be involved but shit happens.

I like it for the occasional ankle gun, for instance when I fly or when I have dress clothes on.

Get one, change the sights immediately, shoot it a lot, and you will be fine.

Good luck man.

okie john
02-08-2016, 03:09 PM
My question to the group is "Are there any weird things about the G-26 that make it totally different from G-19/G17s? I know that the recoil spring is different. I have lots of spare parts for Gen 2 and 3 G-19/G-17s. Will Ameriglo Defore sights send my G-26 rounds off into the stratosphere? Do "-" disconnectors work in them?

I've tried the G26 on a couple of occasions. I shot it about as well as I shoot a G17 or G19, and even shot a pretty respectable score on The Humbler with it. But it's much slower to reload, so my scores on more tactically focused drills suffered accordingly. I found that it didn't conceal any better than a G19, which is probably due to my body type. Had the G26 been substantially easier to conceal, I might have stuck with it long enough to crack the nut on reloads, but it wasn't so I didn't.

Sights may or may not work, but that's more a Glock thing than a G26 thing. If you can zero it with OEM sights, then other sights should work as long as the difference in height between the front and rear sights is the same as the difference on OEM sights.

Okie John

GAP
02-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Use G19 mags for reloads and it isn't slower! ;)

okie john
02-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Use G19 mags for reloads and it isn't slower! ;)

Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever tried to speed load a G26 with a G26 mag--I always used a G19 or G17 mag.

The thing that slows me down is having to change my grip radically to get the old mag out, then re-establish my grip before firing the next shot.

Okie John

gringop
02-14-2016, 12:56 AM
Achievement unlocked!

Scored a FDE factory reconditioned G26 at the Ft. Worth gun show today. I'll start stripping one of my G17s for the smooth trigger and "-" connector tomorrow, I got a spare set of Defoor sights to replace the factory crap "white dot and box" ones.

Next weekend it's going to be lower palm blood-blister time.

Thanks everyone for the great info.

Gringop

okie john
02-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Achievement unlocked!

Scored a FDE factory reconditioned G26 at the Ft. Worth gun show today. I'll start stripping one of my G17s for the smooth trigger and "-" connector tomorrow, I got a spare set of Defoor sights to replace the factory crap "white dot and box" ones.

Next weekend it's going to be lower palm blood-blister time.

Check POI with the factory sights first so you'll know whether it regulates as it should. It may not.

Okie John

GJM
02-14-2016, 08:31 AM
Just got a G4 26, and it has the best trigger out of the box, I can recall on a Glock. I put HD sights on, and initial impression is it needs a taller, .230, front (which I have).

Isaac
02-14-2016, 09:22 AM
GJM, you've had the gen3 G26 too right? Does the gen4 grip significantly help with a secure purchase on the grip out of IWB, and does it feel secure with one handed rapid fire? (versus gen3)

JHC
02-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Just got a G4 26, and it has the best trigger out of the box, I can recall on a Glock. I put HD sights on, and initial impression is it needs a taller, .230, front (which I have).

But is it Battlefield Green?

okie john
02-14-2016, 12:44 PM
GJM, you've had the gen3 G26 too right? Does the gen4 grip significantly help with a secure purchase on the grip out of IWB, and does it feel secure with one handed rapid fire? (versus gen3)

Not GJM, but I've also had both. The Gen4 is slightly rougher but the Gen3 could easily match it with a little stippling.

Okie John

Isaac
02-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks Okie, didnt mean to ask only one person. Appreciate your input!

JHC
02-14-2016, 08:46 PM
Thanks Okie, didnt mean to ask only one person. Appreciate your input!

I've owned both simultaneously and shot them side by side. Didn't measure a real difference but either by texture or dimensions I felt the Gen 4 felt more secure and locked in. I have two now. One is Battlefield Green btw. ;)

GJM
02-14-2016, 08:57 PM
I really like Gen 4 texture, as it allows me a good grip, but is not abrasive worn against the skin. Gen 3 texture is slick to my hands stock, but rough on the stomach with grip tape or texturing. I think Glock got it just right with the Gen 4 texture!

GJM
02-14-2016, 08:58 PM
I've owned both simultaneously and shot them side by side. Didn't measure a real difference but either by texture or dimensions I felt the Gen 4 felt more secure and locked in. I have two now. One is Battlefield Green btw. ;)

JHC, you are so shallow.

littlejerry
02-14-2016, 10:14 PM

What are you carrying your G26 in? I'm currently using a JMCK AIWB 17 length and 34 length for a 19. The 17 works although it has the full wedhe which I don't like. The 34 is the "george" which is thin, but too damn long(unless I need to carry a 34...)

I'm tempted to order a 19 length George and pick up a 26 this summer.

okie john
02-15-2016, 12:41 AM
What are you carrying your G26 in?

When I had the G26's, I also had G17s and G19s. I had BladeTech Nano IWB holsters for each of them. All three guns were the most comfortable and concealed the best in the G17 version, so sold the shorter holsters and just carried in the G17 holster. I've bought a few G17 holsters but none for the shorter guns. A Dale Fricke Archangel for a G17 works pretty well, too.

In my experience, the longer G17 IWB holsters help keep the gun chose to the body. For me, an IWB G26 holster lets the grip stick out much farther than when I carry a G26 in a G17 holster. At this point, I only have G17 holsters and G17 spare mags. If I were to go back to a G26 for whatever reason, I wouldn't change that.

Okie John

JHC
02-15-2016, 06:31 AM
What are you carrying your G26 in? I'm currently using a JMCK AIWB 17 length and 34 length for a 19. The 17 works although it has the full wedhe which I don't like. The 34 is the "george" which is thin, but too damn long(unless I need to carry a 34...)

I'm tempted to order a 19 length George and pick up a 26 this summer.

Great G26 concealment options I've been happy with include a Dark Star straight drop G17 clip holster, G19 and G17 FIST #1K canted for IWB, a G26 FIST #1K straight drop and a Smart Carry ordered for a G42, which actually really grips the G26 very snugly - used as an under the belt belly band. And the VG2 as well.

Waiting on a Dark Star Clip straight drop modified to carry a little lower; G19 sized.

GJM
02-15-2016, 01:34 PM
I did some shooting of my new G4 26 today, at the end of my regular practice session. Turns out, while 147 is hitting higher, the regular HD sights are well regulated with Lawman 115 FMJ and Speer 124 +P Gold Dot.

The 26 is a delight to shoot, and for me, shoots better than the PPS M2 and 43 (and in that order).

Here is a short vid, showing how the 26 ejects out the brass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJijKv1s88g

Sent from my iPad

Appalachained
02-15-2016, 02:29 PM
I pocket carried a 26 for Five years. When I started carrying I was really paranoid about printing. With the CT LaserGuard inside a squared holster it looked like a tablet or small book in my pocket. It doesn't work in jeans or dress pants, but works fine in Cargo shorts or work type khakis. I practiced drawing and shooting plenty and could get a full grip on it. It can work, but I can see how it's not for a lot of people. The First pic is a few years ago and the second one is current.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160215/889e322a7372ee46a3fe92f14350eb27.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160215/5188c2a4777d72022c28a1e3a682cf54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHC
02-15-2016, 04:21 PM
I did some shooting of my new G4 26 today, at the end of my regular practice session. Turns out, while 147 is hitting higher, the regular HD sights are well regulated with Lawman 115 FMJ and Speer 124 +P Gold Dot.

The 26 is a delight to shoot, and for me, shoots better than the PPS M2 and 43 (and in that order).

Here is a short vid, showing how the 26 ejects out the brass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJijKv1s88g

Sent from my iPad

I'm so crazy about them. Re shootability - this run of D1 to a 8" plate at 12 yards https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/23828000199/in/dateposted-public/

MGW
02-15-2016, 04:48 PM
You guys are really screwing with my single stack Glock 19 search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isaac
02-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Good vids.

When I had the gen3 (twice), I used a Mr. Softy from Highnoon.

Josh Runkle
02-16-2016, 02:39 AM
I pocket carried a 26 for Five years. When I started carrying I was really paranoid about printing. With the CT LaserGuard inside a squared holster it looked like a tablet or small book in my pocket. It doesn't work in jeans or dress pants, but works fine in Cargo shorts or work type khakis. I practiced drawing and shooting plenty and could get a full grip on it. It can work, but I can see how it's not for a lot of people. The First pic is a few years ago and the second one is current.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160215/889e322a7372ee46a3fe92f14350eb27.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160215/5188c2a4777d72022c28a1e3a682cf54.jpg

Details on who made the holsters? I would love to get leather/fabric one that would accommodate an xc1.

Drew78
02-16-2016, 07:35 AM
The 26 is my favorite glock. I've got several 19's as well, but I just shoot that 26 like it was custom made for me. I carry it in a JMCK aiwb (amazing holster btw) and it is only marginally more concealable than the 19. I carry with a GAP base plate and 19 mags as backups. As others have said, you can scale it up on size, but not down. Very versatile, soft shooting and reliable pistol.

Drew78
02-16-2016, 07:38 AM
JHC, will you post an image of your dark star holster when you get it? I've spoken to Tom a few times, just haven't had the opportunity to try his holsters yet. I carry my 26 in models sized for the 19 as it gives me a 2 in 1 option.

Appalachained
02-16-2016, 07:39 AM
Details on who made the holsters? I would love to get leather/fabric one that would accommodate an xc1.

The top holster is an Uncle Mike's. I don't remember what size, but it fit the g26 with the LaserGuard perfectly. I used it for Four years until the grippy material on the outside wore off. The other is just an eBay holster.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160216/1c6e61945be9ac7f72c7ef6f446ac6cc.jpg

JHC
02-16-2016, 07:53 AM
JHC, will you post an image of your dark star holster when you get it? I've spoken to Tom a few times, just haven't had the opportunity to try his holsters yet. I carry my 26 in models sized for the 19 as it gives me a 2 in 1 option.

Until that day:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13946-Dark-Star-Gear-Clip-On-for-Gen-3-Smith&highlight=Dark+Star

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17450-My-Dark-Star-Gear-G43-AIWB-Clip-Holster/page2&highlight=Dark+Star

Grouse870
02-16-2016, 02:19 PM
I carry a 26 in a cry havoc gear Grimm holster. I love the 26 I've got talon rubber grips, tango down mag release and ameriglo sights. Streamlight just came out with the tlr 6 for the glock 26/27/33 which should be coming out in March

GJM
02-16-2016, 03:33 PM
I really, really like my new Gen 4, Glock 26 I just got. I shot it some more this morning, at the end of my regular CZ range session. Here is a Bill drill and variation of an El Prez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPPdK8bVmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epRCDc_H27U

Sent from my iPad

JHC
02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
I really, really like my new Gen 4, Glock 26 I just got. I shot it some more this morning, at the end of my regular CZ range session. Here is a Bill drill and variation of an El Prez:

Sent from my iPad

I had some audio difficulty - did the Bill drill tape state the time? That was cool.

Now do you or do you not, perceive that short slide is running faster and flatter than say a 17?

GJM
02-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I had some audio difficulty - did the Bill drill tape state the time? That was cool.

Now do you or do you not, perceive that short slide is running faster and flatter than say a 17?

There are enough variables between the 26 and the 17/19 in terms of side length and grip size that I can't comment intelligently on how flat the 26 cycles. I do shoot the 17 and 19 better, but the difference is more germane to gun games than surviving "da food court."

GAP
02-16-2016, 03:52 PM

Sent from my iPad

I know, that's why I switched from the G19 even though it didn't feel right.. at first. ;)

I recently took the Beavertail off and noticed I can achieve an even higher grip with just the SF Gen 4 frame..

Isaac
02-17-2016, 09:25 PM
Nice reload GJM, was that with a flush G26 mag? Couldn't tell...

Any one handed draw and fire vids with the flush mag?

GJM
02-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Nice reload GJM, was that with a flush G26 mag? Couldn't tell...

Any one handed draw and fire vids with the flush mag?

Think I was reloading to a G19 magazine. Will have to do some one hand stuff.

I continue to be incredibly impressed with how well the G26 shoots, and feel it shoots far better than you might expect, based on its size. I try to pull it out every few practice sessions, and run some drills with it. Even though I am shooting a CZ Shadow, I don't note any issue transitioning to the 26. I ran three partial plate rack runs from 10 yards, and all were +/- .10, at about 2.60 for four plates from concealment. It also seems to great at 25 yards on steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEaqLPtMLAE

Sent from my iPad

Kevin B.
02-23-2016, 03:40 PM
I just finished getting my G26 fully configured the way I like my Glocks. After confirming POA/POI, I did three runs of a fairly demanding CoF I use to assess/validate my CCW performance; two clean and one -1. My times were slightly off my performance with a G17 or G22. I finished by going 2/2 on an 8" plate at 50 yards.

Every time I shoot the G26, I come away impressed with how well it shoots.

JHC
02-23-2016, 03:58 PM
I just finished getting my G26 fully configured the way I like my Glocks. After confirming POA/POI, I did three runs of a fairly demanding CoF I use to assess/validate my CCW performance; two clean and one -1. My times were slightly off my performance with a G17 or G22. I finished by going 2/2 on an 8" plate at 50 yards.

This weekend I'm going to try the Four Sevens with a G26 and see if I can make standard.

GJM
02-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Another run from the same magazine, showing the Gadget while holstering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiSs3VIZvW8

Sent from my iPhone

GJM
02-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Kevin, were your times off because of the shooting or reloading part? I see most difference in reloading.

Kevin B.
02-23-2016, 04:45 PM
Kevin, were your times off because of the shooting or reloading part? I see most difference in reloading.

Shooting. No reloads on the clock in this particular CoF.

There is a fairly high accuracy requirement and I may have subconsciously slowed down and taken a bit more time because I was using the G26. Groups with the G26 were a bit larger than normal but well within the accuracy standard. I was well-under the time standard on all of the stages save the one where a had a bad draw and wound up with one round over time, resulting in the -1.

Overall, I was maybe .10-.15 off my G17/G22 times. I suspect if I put more time in with the G26 it would be a non-issue. As it is, I turned in a pretty strong performance across three runs.

GJM
02-23-2016, 04:49 PM
For "survive the food court" kind of shooting, as opposed to gaming, I see the major benefit of the 17/19 over the 26 to be that they hold more cartridges in their standard magazine, and are easier to reload.

JHC
02-23-2016, 06:43 PM
For "survive the food court" kind of shooting, as opposed to gaming, I see the major benefit of the 17/19 over the 26 to be that they hold more cartridges in their standard magazine, and are easier to reload.

And that is all. IMO with some practice , the reload gap can be closed pretty small. Over several years on any given day I should be able to shoot a sub 6 sec FAST clean with a Glock. I've not seen much difference between 26/19/17. Then again I almost never see sub 5 clean or not.

JHC
02-23-2016, 06:50 PM

In this Triple Nickel I shot it clean, but over time. Pushing speed I got trigger freeze I momentarily thought was a hard Russian primer and went for the reload then found reset. The reload wasn't the issue. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/18342939035/in/dateposted-public/

Reloading with G19 mag btw

GJM
02-23-2016, 06:55 PM
In this Triple Nickel I shot it clean, but over time. Pushing speed I got trigger freeze I momentarily thought was a hard Russian primer and went for the reload then found reset. The reload wasn't the issue. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/18342939035/in/dateposted-public/

Reloading with G19 mag btw

hey, how about a NSFW warning -- I heard you curse under your breath. :)

PNWTO
02-23-2016, 06:59 PM
This thread is adding even more indecision to my current "26 vs 43" issue. I think a 43 would be better used for my job and for ultimate conceal-ability, but I know I shoot the 26 better and with a 26 can keep extra 17rd mags in my emergency bag.

Kevin B.
02-23-2016, 07:03 PM
I've not seen much difference between 26/19/17.

I see a small but quantifiable difference in my shooting between the G17 and G19. I have not shot my G26 enough to quantify its performance relative to the G19 or G17 (other than on the aforementioned CoF) but I know it is less.

Isaac
02-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Went to the shop today to handle the gen4 9mms, man what a difference. Held the G26 (again) and tried twisting it out of my strong hand with other hand, the new texture and width allowed a pretty strong one handed 2.4 finger grip on it. Should have brought a holster to try drawing from, didnt think of it.

Got home and Google imaged g26 undercut, there are some pretty extreme cuts out there, I bet I could get a 2.75 finger grip with an aggressive under cut and bump removal..

Almost pulled the trigger on it, but the guy said to wait and buy it when I buy the suppressor, so I have more time... haha

GJM, you using the George for the G26? Have you found your draw speed pretty similar to the bigger Glock 9mms?

GJM
02-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Went to the shop today to handle the gen4 9mms, man what a difference. Held the G26 (again) and tried twisting it out of my strong hand with other hand, the new texture and width allowed a pretty strong one handed 2.4 finger grip on it. Should have brought a holster to try drawing from, didnt think of it.

Got home and Google imaged g26 undercut, there are some pretty extreme cuts out there, I bet I could get a 2.75 finger grip with an aggressive under cut and bump removal..

Almost pulled the trigger on it, but the guy said to wait and buy it when I buy the suppressor, so I have more time... haha

GJM, you using the George for the G26? Have you found your draw speed pretty similar to the bigger Glock 9mms?

1) I am using a George, and I better be after Tony named it after me!

2) I think I am slightly slower on the draw with the 26, compared to a 19/17, as the grip is smaller. Probably a higher disaster factor drawing the G26, when trying to push speed, related to the smaller grip.

Nephrology
02-23-2016, 08:57 PM
1) I am using a George, and I better be after Tony named it after me!

2) I think I am slightly slower on the draw with the 26, compared to a 19/17, as the grip is smaller. Probably a higher disaster factor drawing the G26, when trying to push speed, related to the smaller grip.

This is why I bought a few +0 pierce extensions - not so much that I need them to help me shoot the gun well, but so I can get a solid hand on the gun when I draw.

MGW
02-23-2016, 10:46 PM
This thread is adding even more indecision to my current "26 vs 43" issue. I think a 43 would be better used for my job and for ultimate conceal-ability, but I know I shoot the 26 better and with a 26 can keep extra 17rd mags in my emergency bag.

I went through a lot of pistols trying to find a better 26. I would have been better off, and a lot of money ahead, just keeping the first 26 I had. There's a fine line between concealability and shootability. You just have to decide which you're willing to live with.

PNWTO
02-25-2016, 11:20 AM
You just have to decide which you're willing to live with.

Yep. This would be really be a work-specific carry (NPE but w/boardroom permission) and the occasional "going to the store" carry. I know the 26 would be better for me in every possible area with the exception of total concealment.

MGW
02-25-2016, 01:00 PM
Yep. This would be really be a work-specific carry (NPE but w/boardroom permission) and the occasional "going to the store" carry. I know the 26 would be better for me in every possible area with the exception of total concealment.

If you work with a tailor I think you would be amazed at how easy it is to hide a 26. Smart carry or belly band give you a lot of options.

That being said something like a PPS or Shield is going to be a lot more comfortable and requiring less adjustment to your clothing. There are people that shoot small single stacks at a really high level. I'm not one of them but mostly that's a skill issue and not an issue with the firearm.

I think step one would be to put rounds through all your options and decide what you can live with and train through. You can work around the clothing issues later.

GAP
02-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Here's a cool story bro..

On Sunday I was out in the snow and mud shooting my AKs (happy as a pig in shit) when I said to myself, "man, it's been a few weeks since I was able to shoot the 26."

I walked over to my 25 yard line, drew from my IWB holster and landed a HST dead center of the bullseye. I reholstered and walked away like Clint Eastwood. :cool:

BillSWPA
02-25-2016, 09:17 PM
My Glock 26 was my graduation gift to myself when I finished law school. It has been my favorite concealed carry gun ever since.

I find that I can shoot it almost as well as I can shoot my full size pistols, yet hide it as easily as I could hide a small frame .38 revolver. The two-finger grip takes some getting used to, but overall is not bad.

I never minded the factory Glock sights, but liked the idea of tritium enough so that I installed my first set within less than 2 years of buying the gun. After trying multiple brands, I now stick with Trijicon, and that is what the gun currently wears, with a green front and yellow rear.

Being new to concealed carry when I bought the gun, I wasn't sure how I would typically carry it, and was nervous about the light trigger. I installed a NY1 trigger spring, giving me a 9 lb. pull. I did most of my early handgun learning with revolvers, so long heavy triggers do not bother me. However, during an IDPA classifier, my slide lock spring broke 1/3 of the way through, and I finished the classifier with a rental gun with a standard trigger setup. After seeing how much my performance improved with the lighter trigger, I installed a 3.5 lb. connector, leaving the NY1 trigger spring in place. I found this trigger so much easier to use than either the stock trigger or the NY1 with standard connector that I have stuck with it ever since. Only the 4th generation triggers are better than this setup in my opinion.

I added an "extended" slide stop once they became IDPA legal. This did not interfere with even the tightest holster, and made working the slide stop that much easier.

Most recently, I added a Crimson Trace LaserGuard. As between this and the other Crimson Trace lasers for this gun, the LaserGuard does not affect overall thickness at all, and only slightly impacts grip circumference.

I have carried the gun in OWB, IWB, shoulder, belly band, pocket, and ankle holsters, as well as a fanny pack. I find that the more I carry, the fewer carry positions I prefer. Today, this gun is carried either IWB or in a front pocket holster, with the fanny pack being reserved for running.

For IWB holsters, I have come to prefer Blade-Tech. This gun hides very well at 3:30 on the belt in a vertical IWB holster. The best pocket holster I have found is a nylon Uncle Mike's holster loosely attached to a Chris Fry/Raven Concealment Pocket Shield. Keeping the attachment loose lets the gun find the best position in the pocket, while the attachment to the pocket shield serves to break up the outline of the gun and to retain the holster in the pocket during a draw. 2nd best pocket holster is a DeSantis SuperFly. With dress slacks purchased for IWB carry and with pleats, the gun is concealed in the pocket, but it is definitely obvious that something is in the pocket. Carrying this way will also wear out pants quickly.

As tempted as I am to try a Glock 43 for pocket carry, I am unconvinced that the slight difference in thickness will make a significant difference in concealability.

Until I acquired other guns, this gun was often the 2nd gun I would let a new shooter shoot, after first practicing with a .22. Very few beginners had any serious difficulty with it.

While many others seemed to prefer the .40 caliber 27 over the 9mm 26, I never regretted going with 9mm. I have heard or read of more gun explosions in .40 than in all other calibers combined, and I am unconvinced that a mugger would notice the difference between a 9mm and .40. Particularly now that I have children, however, I am increasingly convinced of the value of more rounds in the magazine. Trying to control kids with 1 hand while shooting with 1 hand would likely make reducing the need to reload quite comforting.

JHC
02-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Worth noting in a G26 thread (since I crow on an on about my Glocks) that my older Gen 4 G26 I purchased in March 2012, broke it's RSA during an attempt at the DoW Four Sevens today. Locked it up tight and I pulled the back plate to disassemble and inspect. The metal washer like collar that anchors the RSA against the front of the slide broke in some manner allowing the plastic center of the RSA with a remaining portion of this washer to protrude though. My log says 2130 rounds on that gun and original RSA as of today.
A new and a spare to be ordered.