PDA

View Full Version : Dave Mirra has passed

backtrail540
02-05-2016, 03:16 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/14717868/x-games-icon-dave-mirra-dead-41-apparent-suicide-greenville-north-carolina

I don't know how many BMX fans are on here but I just heard the news today that megastar Dave Mirra killed himself today. It's just crazy. I remember a time when people were competing for 2nd any time Mirra entered a vert ramp or park event. The dude was a monster. He caught alot of flak for essentially being the corporate guy in the bmx world, but he was extremely talented and successful - how can you hate that?

At one time in my area most of the bmxer's had a Haro at one point in their riding careers or at least rode with someone who did. I did. Mine was a backtrail, as I was more of a Nyquist fan at that point, but I always had a tremendous amount of respect for Mirra and his skills. Although I never met him, he seemed like a super nice dude. He could ride anything he wanted and give everyone a run for their money even if it wasn't necessarily his forte. I remember the first time he went on Road Fools and a bunch of the street guys were real skeptical and harsh until he pulled off some technical stuff and a few rails or some such and surprised them.

I'm bummed that one of my childhood hero's decided to go out like that. I haven't road in probably 8 years in any serious fashion but it stopped me in my tracks when I heard it today.

Any other bmxer's here?

t1tan
02-05-2016, 03:26 AM
I was a huge fan of his growing up from watching him ride on tv or playing "Dave Mirra BMX" on PS1 and was extremely disappointed to hear the news. I had lost touch with the BMX world in highschool after my younger brother decided to take my bike to school and let it get hit by a car, actually don't think I've ridden a bike more than a handful of times since but a lot of my time with friends was either riding or building ramps because of him and Matt Hoffman.

Adam78
02-05-2016, 04:09 AM
I used to be a dirt jumper, but guys like Mirra made me put some slicks on and hit the park a few times. He was damn good at what he did.

jc000
02-05-2016, 05:41 AM
Wow, I remember Dave Mirra, how horrible! I used to race WAAYYY back in the day (used to look up to Eric Rupe!) and then kinda got back into BMX when dirt jumping started to take off. Still have an S&M Holmes NG in my stable.

Dave wasn't my style (preferred the more "outlaw" type riders) but he was a classy and gifted athlete for sure. What a damn shame.

fixer
02-05-2016, 06:03 AM
Shocking and sad.

orionz06
02-05-2016, 08:09 AM
I had a Haro just because of him.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

theJanitor
02-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Mirra and I are the same age, and I followed his career in earnest. I was always a mountain biker, but his Vert work was unmatched. It was very sad news yesterday, especially a few days after freeride MTB'er Kelly McGarry died on the mountain.

eta: Guys like Dave have probably taken ALOT of hits to the head, and we all know how flimsy those helmets we used were. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of link here

StraitR
02-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Mirra and I are the same age, and I followed his career in earnest. I was always a mountain biker, but his Vert work was unmatched. It was very sad news yesterday, especially a few days after freeride MTB'er Kelly McGarry died on the mountain.

eta: Guys like Dave have probably taken ALOT of hits to the head, and we all know how flimsy those helmets we used were. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of link here

Age, career, mountain biker, and compliments. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Saw him live once at the X-Games at Mission Beach in San Diego, circa 1998.