PDA

View Full Version : Injured/recovering carry

Sherman A. House DDS
02-04-2016, 06:42 PM
I had an interesting experience I thought others might appreciate. I remember reading an article by Massad Ayoob back in around 1990, where he had some type of limb injury, and had to shoot a course using his off hand only. I seem to remember him using an all steel, Smith Bodyguard variant and a leather pancake holster. He recommended having a pancake holster on-hand, in the event one did need it, you could (conceivably) wear the pancake holster on either side of the body.

Fast forward 26 years, and I found myself in a similar conundrum. Thanks to a wicked case of the Spanish Flu I caught from a group of sick patients, back in 2012, that nearly killed me, I've fought an ongoing battle with recurrent atrial fibrillation. After being in and out of the hospital with cardioversion four times, I grew tired of paying for my cardiologist's sports car, and both he and I decided that it was time for a surgical procedure to repair the mass of scar tissue that was kicking my heart into a faulty rhythm, and necessitated me being on beta blockers and blood thinners (not fun).

The surgery is considered, "less invasive," but still requires the insertion of several (in my case, TWELVE) surgical instruments through the large femoral veins and arteries in my legs and groin, to reach up into my right atrium, then punch a hole through the septum of the heart, into the left atrium where the electrical conduction issue was.

Still with me? Ok. I normally carry a Smith MP Pro 9mm AIWB in a JM AIWB rig, and a 442 on my ankle in an ankle glove. However, due to the procedure, anything pressing NEAR my groin was a no go, and I certainly wasn't able to easily or comfortably reach down my 6'4" frame to retrieve an ankle gun, unless I was already seated.

Thus, per the advice I read some quarter of a century ago, I busted out the one leather pancake rig I have, which is for a 2.5" Smith 19/66. And, that's what I used to get me through the recovery.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160204/37d611cf4884ad53fe6194c10259be96.jpg
Light, Spyderco Waved Endura, Surefire, Wallet, and 4 round Speed Strip.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160204/bb8c911130c5cdee87569a7bba0e4a55.jpg
I had my personal logo laser engraved into the side of several of my carry guns, especially the ones that I fly with. Some have this logo, some have the inscription, "Stolen from Dr. Sherman House, Nashville TN."

Thanks for reading, and I'm interested to hear what other's experiences have been carrying while convalescing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
02-04-2016, 07:23 PM
...some have the inscription, "Stolen from Dr. Sherman House, Nashville TN."

http://zackeeney.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/440723_orig.jpg

That's a FANTASTIC idea. :D

The only recovery carry I've done has been with broken bones, and I talked about it in the thread about having an off hand holster. I still carried my issued Glock 22, but had to carry cavalry draw on the left side until I could get a lefty holster.

deputyG23
02-04-2016, 08:05 PM
During half of December and almost all of January, I suffered with a slipped disc at L4/L5 and sciatica down the left side. A cane was necessary to keep moving and it was used by the right hand. Belt carry of anything on either side was impossible at first. My 442 went into the left pants pocket as a starting point. WHO practice has been a staple of mine for while now with the Airweight snub. I figured if I could get hits with it, I should be able to shoot a full size gun even better.
I gradually worked back up to my full duty belt and have been back at work a week now with no real issues.

Sherman A. House DDS
02-04-2016, 08:10 PM
http://zackeeney.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/440723_orig.jpg

That's a FANTASTIC idea. :D

The only recovery carry I've done has been with broken bones, and I talked about it in the thread about having an off hand holster. I still carried my issued Glock 22, but had to carry cavalry draw on the left side until I could get a lefty holster.

I love the 11th Doctor! Yes...I've had TSA/booking agents say, "Who did you steal that from?" They don't get it...the name on the ID matches the inscription!

Sherman A. House DDS
02-04-2016, 08:11 PM
During half of December and almost all of January, I suffered with a slipped disc at L4/L5 and sciatica down the left side. A cane was necessary to keep moving and it was used by the right hand. Belt carry of anything on either side was impossible at first. My 442 went into the left pants pocket as a starting point. WHO practice has been a staple of mine for while now with the Airweight snub. I figured if I could get hits with it, I should be able to shoot a full size gun even better.
I gradually worked back up to my full duty belt and have been back at work a week now with no real issues.

That was my initial inclination, with my 442 and a Mika pocket rig, but that was too much pressure on my groin/anterior quad.

Malamute
02-04-2016, 08:18 PM
In still using a glock factory plastic holster used left handed. I think I would draw left handed then transfer to the right hand to shoot. My right arm sort of works, but I cant raise it enough to draw right handed unless its carried very low, certainly not a concealment rig. Cant reach my back pocket yet either, which was one way I carried around the yard.

Can somewhat carry a belt holster. I get it started buckled loosely in front, then turn the buckle around back so the gun is sort of crossdraw, and pull the buckle tight with the good hand. Cant quite reach the gun crossdraw without the left hand helping move the holster over. This is getting really old.

Clay
02-05-2016, 09:58 AM
I have terrible bouts with tendonitis in my dominate right elbow, and have recently purchased a set of lefty IWB gear from Gabe New at KSG holsters (Knowledge Skill Gear). I'm fortunate in that I've always been a bit ambidextrous. I can do everything but write with my left hand. I still need to practice a bunch to get up to speed, though.

Dagga Boy
02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
In still using a glock factory plastic holster used left handed. I think I would draw left handed then transfer to the right hand to shoot. My right arm sort of works, but I cant raise it enough to draw right handed unless its carried very low, certainly not a concealment rig. Cant reach my back pocket yet either, which was one way I carried around the yard.

Can somewhat carry a belt holster. I get it started buckled loosely in front, then turn the buckle around back so the gun is sort of crossdraw, and pull the buckle tight with the good hand. Cant quite reach the gun crossdraw without the left hand helping move the holster over. This is getting really old.

Everyone should have the Glock plastic holster in inventory for injuries....loaner, etc. Works for just about everyone in a pinch.

As far as the doc's case...yea, we forget how comfortable a 2.5"-3" K frame is in a good belt rig. That was an LE stole for a couple decades to carry for long hours daily in comfort.

Wayne Dobbs
02-05-2016, 10:27 AM
I had an interesting experience I thought others might appreciate. I remember reading an article by Massad Ayoob back in around 1990, where he had some type of limb injury, and had to shoot a course using his off hand only. I seem to remember him using an all steel, Smith Bodyguard variant and a leather pancake holster. He recommended having a pancake holster on-hand, in the event one did need it, you could (conceivably) wear the pancake holster on either side of the body.

Fast forward 26 years, and I found myself in a similar conundrum. Thanks to a wicked case of the Spanish Flu I caught from a group of sick patients, back in 2012, that nearly killed me, I've fought an ongoing battle with recurrent atrial fibrillation. After being in and out of the hospital with cardioversion four times, I grew tired of paying for my cardiologist's sports car, and both he and I decided that it was time for a surgical procedure to repair the mass of scar tissue that was kicking my heart into a faulty rhythm, and necessitated me being on beta blockers and blood thinners (not fun).

The surgery is considered, "less invasive," but still requires the insertion of several (in my case, TWELVE) surgical instruments through the large femoral veins and arteries in my legs and groin, to reach up into my right atrium, then punch a hole through the septum of the heart, into the left atrium where the electrical conduction issue was.

Still with me? Ok. I normally carry a Smith MP Pro 9mm AIWB in a JM AIWB rig, and a 442 on my ankle in an ankle glove. However, due to the procedure, anything pressing NEAR my groin was a no go, and I certainly wasn't able to easily or comfortably reach down my 6'4" frame to retrieve an ankle gun, unless I was already seated.

Thus, per the advice I read some quarter of a century ago, I busted out the one leather pancake rig I have, which is for a 2.5" Smith 19/66. And, that's what I used to get me through the recovery.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160204/37d611cf4884ad53fe6194c10259be96.jpg
Light, Spyderco Waved Endura, Surefire, Wallet, and 4 round Speed Strip.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160204/bb8c911130c5cdee87569a7bba0e4a55.jpg
I had my personal logo laser engraved into the side of several of my carry guns, especially the ones that I fly with. Some have this logo, some have the inscription, "Stolen from Dr. Sherman House, Nashville TN."

Thanks for reading, and I'm interested to hear what other's experiences have been carrying while convalescing.

Doc,

Great comments on the holster/gun choice, but as one who has "experienced" the atrial fib/MI and bypass (7X!) show, I hope your surgery and recovery go very well for you!

wsr
02-05-2016, 10:30 AM
In August of last year I had a bowel resection for colon cancer...they gutted me like a deer...so
no more AIWB for awhile. Now after four months of chemo I have greatly reduced feeling and dexterity in my hands I carry a 4in 686 strong side.
I usually carried a LEM hk45c and it was usable while the feeling was going (because of the travel like Nyeti talks about) now it's at point that I feel more comfortable with the 686...weight plus travel

BN
02-05-2016, 11:03 AM
My injury was pretty mild compared to the rest of you. I cut my trigger finger on my strong (right) side and needed stitches plus one of those plastic shields. My wife is a lefty, so I just grabbed one of her holsters. I shot a few IDPA matches that way.

Some time later, I happened to be talking to Mas and told him the story of using my wife's holsters. He wanted to know if that made me a "ballistics transvestite". :)

Sherman A. House DDS
02-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Doc,

Great comments on the holster/gun choice, but as one who has "experienced" the atrial fib/MI and bypass (7X!) show, I hope your surgery and recovery go very well for you!

Thank you Wayne! Yes...I'm one of the, "lucky," ones that falls into the, "Atrial Fibrillation, otherwise healthy," demographic. When they were in the heart they scoped out my coronary arteries and everything is patent, so I should hopefully get another 40 years of trouble free service out of them! And, as you know, the chest isn't half as bad as the groin swelling/pain!

Sherman A. House DDS
02-05-2016, 01:26 PM
My injury was pretty mild compared to the rest of you. I cut my trigger finger on my strong (right) side and needed stitches plus one of those plastic shields. My wife is a lefty, so I just grabbed one of her holsters. I shot a few IDPA matches that way.

Some time later, I happened to be talking to Mas and told him the story of using my wife's holsters. He wanted to know if that made me a "ballistics transvestite". :)

HA! I got a staff infection from a sliver in my left index finger, back in the 90's. The big ate a big part of my finger off, and that kept me out of work, for a month, since nobody wanted to have a one handed riding shotgun!

Sherman A. House DDS
02-05-2016, 01:28 PM
In August of last year I had a bowel resection for colon cancer...they gutted me like a deer...so
no more AIWB for awhile. Now after four months of chemo I have greatly reduced feeling and dexterity in my hands I carry a 4in 686 strong side.
I usually carried a LEM hk45c and it was usable while the feeling was going (because of the travel like Nyeti talks about) now it's at point that I feel more comfortable with the 686...weight plus travel

Good grief man! Hang in there!

Sherman A. House DDS
02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Everyone should have the Glock plastic holster in inventory for injuries....loaner, etc. Works for just about everyone in a pinch.

As far as the doc's case...yea, we forget how comfortable a 2.5"-3" K frame is in a good belt rig. That was an LE stole for a couple decades to carry for long hours daily in comfort.

Absolutely! I took a revolver class with Tom Givens years back and I remember him carrying and praising the usability of a 4" Model 12 Airweight. I was using a 4" 681, and told Tom, "This seemed so much better balanced when I carried it on a 2.25" belt on a holster with a steel shank." Tom told me to get the Airweight. I always wanted a Model 12, since that is what my Dad carried as a Naval Aviator in Vietnam. I guess the universe heard my wish, because I got one. And you are right...it is a DREAM to carry.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/bb45033d4d76a11b25260a69f0571a4f.jpg

wsr
02-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Good grief man! Hang in there!

Thanks, as bad as chemo is it's better than the alternative
The drug that is doing all the damage is Oxaliplatin...nicknamed "weapons grade chemo" or "Satan in a bag" LOL it gives you hypersensitivity to cold, neuropathy of the hands and feet affects your eyesight
I'm 47 if I was in my 60's I would take my chances and skip that drug

wsr
02-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Absolutely! I took a revolver class with Tom Givens years back and I remember him carrying and praising the usability of a 4" Model 12 Airweight. I was using a 4" 681, and told Tom, "This seemed so much better balanced when I carried it on a 2.25" belt on a holster with a steel shank." Tom told me to get the Airweight. I always wanted a Model 12, since that is what my Dad carried as a Naval Aviator in Vietnam. I guess the universe heard my wish, because I got one. And you are right...it is a DREAM to carry.

Nice mdl12
Hope you heal up quick

Ntexwheels
02-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks to Kidney cancer I had to have my left Kidney along with the 10 1/2 inch long 5 inch diameter tumor removed 2 1/2 years ago.
The incision the surgeon made was a foot long on my left side.

Prior to the surgery I had always carried a 1911 IWB on the right side. After the surgery It was dang near impossible to tighten my belt snug enough to carry my pistol and keep my drawers up due to the discomfort.

Solved the problem by adding suspenders. Those with a good quality gun belt that doesn't twist under the weight of the pistol works perfectly.

And by the grace of God, I've been cancer free since the surgery. Didn't even have to take Chemo or radiation.

LSP972
02-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Sherman, good posting on a relevant topic. We've discussed it here before, but it never gets old, and the different maladies we encounter call for different techniques/gear.

However, I have a question. Why only four rounds in your Speed Strip? Not taking away anything from the few instructor types who advocate this… but I have been carrying a J frame just about every day now for the past 37 years, and have had to shoot qual courses with same, using Speed Strips, at least annually; sometimes more. I've always loaded my strips to "capacity", and never experienced any fumbling, dropped cartridges, etc.

So… I have to wonder… what is the rationale expressed by those who advocate this? Why do YOU do it? Not looking for a fight, here; I'm genuinely curious.

BTW, I too have a 2" RB AirWeight M-12 put back for hard times.

Sherman A. House DDS
02-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Sherman, good posting on a relevant topic. We've discussed it here before, but it never gets old, and the different maladies we encounter call for different techniques/gear.

However, I have a question. Why only four rounds in your Speed Strip? Not taking away anything from the few instructor types who advocate this… but I have been carrying a J frame just about every day now for the past 37 years, and have had to shoot qual courses with same, using Speed Strips, at least annually; sometimes more. I've always loaded my strips to "capacity", and never experienced any fumbling, dropped cartridges, etc.

So… I have to wonder… what is the rationale expressed by those who advocate this? Why do YOU do it? Not looking for a fight, here; I'm genuinely curious.

BTW, I too have a 2" RB AirWeight M-12 put back for hard times.

No worries! On the timer, it's more expeditious to get four rounds into the gun, and get it back into action, than it is to fiddle with getting a 5th round back in. Yes, these are six shot revolvers, but my strips are setup the same way and I didn't add anything to them. The other point of this method is that the strip is essentially bilaterally symmetrical; it's the same regardless of which direction you grasp it. That way, there is no familiarity needed for odd orientations. Lastly, I'm a fan of the shoot two, load two, under the right conditions, and using the, "2+2," configuration still allows this. On my duty belt, I carried speed loaders, plus leather loops to allow a top off, or load two, after shooting two.

I got the four round speed loader idea from Claude Werner, and tested it with training from Paul Gomez. I wish that one of us could convince Tuff Products to make a dedicated 4 round speed loader, with the middle spot made out of solid plastic, that way the strip wouldn't twist and yaw in the pocket, losing shells. If they did, it would be an issue to do a six round (2x3) version.

deputyG23
02-07-2016, 12:54 PM

If S&W would produce a 3" version of this without the ILS, I would sell off some combat Tupperware and buy at least two.

YVK
02-07-2016, 02:29 PM
While I've seen some unfortunate cases, a usual recovery from femoral arteriotomy is about 5-7 days. Unless I were particularly sensitive (and this could be the case after ablation ) I wouldn't hesitate to stick my appendix rig back there in one week. In fact, I wonder if mild external pressure would provide some additional protection.

As Wayne said, I hope that your ablation is trouble free.

Sherman A. House DDS
02-07-2016, 03:54 PM
While I've seen some unfortunate cases, a usual recovery from femoral arteriotomy is about 5-7 days. Unless I were particularly sensitive (and this could be the case after ablation ) I wouldn't hesitate to stick my appendix rig back there in one week. In fact, I wonder if mild external pressure would provide some additional protection.

As Wayne said, I hope that your ablation is trouble free.

I had my 2nd day back in the gym, today. I feel much better than before. I'm probably going to take it easy on leg day this week, but otherwise, I'm getting back to my old, OLD (pre-AFib) self. I still have a palpable cord on the left, but I feel normal on the right. So, back to AIWBing the MP this week.

Hambo
02-08-2016, 04:42 PM
BTDT. Carried two guns (Beretta and a J frame) on my left side. I kept the holster just in case...

SeriousStudent
02-08-2016, 10:04 PM
I had my 2nd day back in the gym, today. I feel much better than before. I'm probably going to take it easy on leg day this week, but otherwise, I'm getting back to my old, OLD (pre-AFib) self. I still have a palpable cord on the left, but I feel normal on the right. So, back to AIWBing the MP this week.

Dear Doctor House,

I do hope your recovery proceeds quickly, and you are back to being the proverbial picture of health.

I attended your lecture on "magic white rocks" at Caleb Causey's medical conference, and learned a great deal. I look forward to listening to you speak again in the future.

LSP972
02-08-2016, 10:30 PM
The other point of this method is that the strip is essentially bilaterally symmetrical; it's the same regardless of which direction you grasp it. That way, there is no familiarity needed for odd orientations.

Okay, I'll buy that… but that works the same way when the strip is fully "loaded".

I remember, now, Gomez and I discussed this the last time I saw him; which was perhaps a year before he passed. He mentioned the 'empty space', saying that was where your index finger should go.

And I showed him that your index finger can go anywhere in between then cartridges you want it to.;) Yes, sometimes you can dislodge a cartridge. And sometimes you don't. But again, I never experienced any loss of control of the device.

And I cannot recall ever losing any rounds out of one when pocket-carried with all six spots filled… and I carried one or two loose in a pocket every off-duty day for many, many years.

So… different strokes, different experiences. Thanks for the detailed response.

Sherman A. House DDS
02-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Dear Doctor House,

I do hope your recovery proceeds quickly, and you are back to being the proverbial picture of health.

I attended your lecture on "magic white rocks" at Caleb Causey's medical conference, and learned a great deal. I look forward to listening to you speak again in the future.

Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed the lecture. That is a fun conference to present at.