PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield (Round 3)

Mitchell, Esq.
01-31-2016, 06:00 PM
My Shield is back from the factory. Again.

1st time it went back was to replace the barrel because ammo was exhibiting bulges around to base of the brass.

2nd time it went back was because it had failures to extract when using 124 grain +p HST and 135 grain standard velocity and +p Critical Duty as well as with ball ammo & when loading it with Critical Duty and releasing the slide using the slide lock lever, the round dived into the edge of the feed ramp.

S&W replaced the extractor.

I am now on round 3 with this gun.

Range session #1 - 200 rounds WWB to prove the gun was not made of paper mache.
Range session #2 - 205 rounds of Aquila ball ammo & assorted JHP from my scrap pile.

To date:
275 rounds of ball ammo
10 rounds 147gr xtp (black hills)
10 rounds 147gr ranger T
10 rounds 124gr xtp (black hills)
25 rounds 124gr +p HST
25 rounds 135gr Critical Duty
50 rounds 135gr +p Critical Duty

405 rounds total. No failures.

How do I shoot it...eh. I haven't put it on a timer, but I am noticeably slower using it than I an with a Glock, but I think that could be due to the sights. I have an Ameriglo Orange front and a stock rear, so the sight picture needs work.

I believe it is now cleared for use as a the "I am not carrying a gun - gun"/"This is my flat, plastic J-frame that doesn't load like a normal J-frame does..."

We'll see if the gun is un-screwed or if additional work needs to be done.

Ntexwheels
02-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Hopefully they got it right. Had a friend and member of our gun club that had to send his back twice for the same reasons you mention. He's been shooting his happily now for almost 6 months with no further problems.