PDA

View Full Version : Gun Trust Question

mtnbkr
01-29-2016, 06:11 PM
Does an NFA gun trust make sense for someone who is likely only going to buy 1 or 2 suppressors and who is likely to be the only person in the household to use them (anyone else would only use them under my supervision). Wifey isn't interested in guns at all and the kids are all too young to use them unsupervised (if they were even interested). It appears there are mechanisms for tax-free transfer to heirs upon my death, so that's sorted out.

I'm not going to accumulate many suppressors, will probably never consider full auto items, and would only bother with a SBR if I had a corresponding suppressor (but probably not).

If a gun trust is advised, is the SilencerCo EasyTrust, well, trustworthy?

Chris

punkey71
01-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Do a trust.

You can add and remove people at will.

Wife may change her mind. Who knows? She may use it for self defense in your absence.

Kids can be trustees upon reaching an age you decide.

Kids can also be beneficiaries and the transfer of the items to them down the road is tax free.

There are more.

I cant think of a situation where I WOULDN'T do a trust? Not saying they don't exist, I just dont see it.

Its an extra $100 or so and solves so many future issues/headaches that a single dude with no kids should even have one, IMHO.

Robinson
01-29-2016, 10:40 PM
I recently purchased my first NFA item and after looking into it I decided to go the trust route. It seems to me it's the most flexible option and no major downside other than the extra cost to create the trust.

joshs
01-29-2016, 10:58 PM
There probably won't be many benefits to you if you acquire the suppressors after ATF's new rule goes into effect in July. The primary benefits of a trust under current law (other than the normal benefits of trust ownership of property) are for multiple users and no CLEO signoff, but CLEO signoff will be eliminated for individuals as well under the new rule. Also, if you acquire the suppressors under the new rule with a trust, anyone with power to control the suppressors under the trust will have to submit photographs and fingerprints to ATF.

mtnbkr
01-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Regarding trusts, what route did you guys take to get one?

It seems there's totally do it yourself with Quicken or similar tools, proxied do it yourself with guided online tools (EasyTrust, etc), and then various flavor of lawyer-driven options.

My ambitions and needs are pretty simple, so I don't want to overly complicate the process.

Chris

punkey71
01-30-2016, 08:45 AM
I used an attorney recommended on another forum a few years ago. They are based out of Texas and have privileges in Virginia and Texas. The two below have been used by friends here in Virginia without issue.

Arsenal Attorneys in NOVA are popular and have a great reputation. More expensive but have a lot of add on services you may find valuable. https://www.arsenalattorneys.com

Another option is John Pierce. I believe John is in Bristol, VA. However, everything can be done via phone and email so distance isn't an issue. John is a flat $100 for a trust emailed to you after a phone consultation to get the info for your specific needs. http://johnpierceesq.com

I'd call both and see what fits your needs the best.

I'm sure others will offer excellent options as well. Those are the two that I know folks in VA have used without incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robinson
01-30-2016, 09:46 PM
A local gun shop has a partnership with a company that allows people to create trusts online. The site is easy to use and there is an associated site with a lot of useful information.

For me, creating the trust was the easy part. But now I am having trouble finding a local person/business to notarize it. Banks either don't notarize trusts at all or won't provide the required witnesses, same with shipping stores like UPS and FedEx. So now I have to locate a professional notary firm that provides witnesses during a business day. It's a bit of a pain, but fortunately it's a one-time thing.

ranger
01-30-2016, 09:56 PM
A local gun shop has a partnership with a company that allows people to create trusts online. The site is easy to use and there is an associated site with a lot of useful information.

For me, creating the trust was the easy part. But now I am having trouble finding a local person/business to notarize it. Banks either don't notarize trusts at all or won't provide the required witnesses, same with shipping stores like UPS and FedEx. So now I have to locate a professional notary firm that provides witnesses during a business day. It's a bit of a pain, but fortunately it's a one-time thing.

Your friendly LGS who sells NFA does not have a notary on site? Are you close to Canton GA?

Robinson
01-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Your friendly LGS who sells NFA does not have a notary on site? Are you close to Canton GA?

That does seem like a logical thing doesn't it? Especially since they seem pretty savvy on the whole NFA process. Should be a no-brainer. I think I will call and ask them in case they do have a notary on staff and I just missed it.

I am about an hour from Canton with no traffic.

ravensfan87
02-01-2016, 08:28 AM
I used silencershop.com trust. It was pretty easy to use. I just have me on it and my wife is the beneficiary if something happens to me. I have thought about making her one of the trustee's also but not quite sure how to do that honestly. I currently have two cans in jail. And I am trying to decide on which 22lr can to purchase.

Robinson
02-09-2016, 08:41 AM
I used silencershop.com trust. It was pretty easy to use. I just have me on it and my wife is the beneficiary if something happens to me. I have thought about making her one of the trustee's also but not quite sure how to do that honestly. I currently have two cans in jail. And I am trying to decide on which 22lr can to purchase.

I have a page in my trust that specifically names my wife as co-trustee. This page must be notarized with the settler's signature. Then there is yet another page for the co-trustee to sign with witnesses, but that page does not have to be notarized and is not required for the trust to be legally binding.

I went this route to avoid problems with the suppressor being in my wife's possession when I'm not around or in case she wants to use it at some point.

ravensfan87
02-09-2016, 09:14 AM
I have a page in my trust that specifically names my wife as co-trustee. This page must be notarized with the settler's signature. Then there is yet another page for the co-trustee to sign with witnesses, but that page does not have to be notarized and is not required for the trust to be legally binding.

I went this route to avoid problems with the suppressor being in my wife's possession when I'm not around or in case she wants to use it at some point.

Thank you for the help. I will look at the trust paperwork when I get back home from work.

mtnbkr
02-10-2016, 06:57 AM
The local toy shop made a good point that I hadn't considered. The trust is very useful in situations where if I were to have an accident with the suppressor on my person (in the car after a wreck, etc) and am incapacitated, my wife could collect the suppressor and transport it home. I hadn't thought about that scenario, only how to deal with it after my death.

Chris

Cool Breeze
02-11-2016, 09:45 PM
My good friend Matthew Bergstrom is the managing lawyer at www.arsenalattorneys.com - he does gun trusts for a living an lives in NOVA. He put my trust together. I'm sure he would be willing to talk with you if you need some advise. He will be at the gun show all weekend with a table. Let me know if you want me to introduce you.